CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Over 40 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/)
-   -   Let's Talk EyeShadow.... (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/112470-lets-talk-eyeshadow.html)

Lotsawaves 09-02-2010 09:23 AM

Let's Talk EyeShadow....

My eyelids are crinkly. I like wearing eyeshadow, but they tend to make my eyelids look even worse. I tried Avon's Benefit Vertical Lifting Shadows, but I didn't care for it. Didn't help at all. I did a search and came up with Skinn cosmetic eyeshadows. Has anyone used these or anything else that has helped?

justajesuschick 09-02-2010 09:27 AM

The secret for me is highly pigmented shadows (MAC and Bobbi Brown for me) in matte finish and to use a good shadow primer (Too Faced Shadow Insurance for me).

Lotsawaves 09-02-2010 10:58 AM

Thanks for the recommendations. I just ordered Too Faced Shadow and a matte finished eyeshadow from Mac. Can't wait to get it in and to try it.

Ondulee 09-02-2010 12:14 PM

I use a very light gold/copper shimmer bronzer as eyeshadow and it disguises my crinkly lids. Just use it sparingly.

I get compliments on my great eyeshadow.

RedCatWaves 09-02-2010 12:17 PM

Always matte. Always, always, always. I don't let sparklies of any type, not even "pearl" finish, go anywhere on my crinkley lids. Also, I wear very pigmented deep/dark shadows...to help the little-skin-overlap-thing I've got visually recede (light colors visually bring things forward, dark colors visually make them recede)...and I bring up the dark color just past the lid crease, then blend it away well. I mostly skip the "highlight" color on the upper brow...too dated of a look. I do put a teeny bit of shimmer highlight color on my inner eyes...helps to brighten the whole eye.

Brands don't necessarily matter, but you won't find many highly-pigmented shadows in the drug store. Primers help keep shadow in place for women of any age. There are lots on the market.

Lotsawaves 09-02-2010 12:55 PM

Thanks, RCW. Some very good tips.

rbb 09-06-2010 07:08 AM

justajesuschick -- what do you like about too faced shadow primer over other primers?
my eyelids are very fragile -- i guess i'm allergic to many eye shadows, can a few creme ones okay. for daytime use i generally was using either a primer, but am finding it too dry, now use concealer, then just line the lash line with an eye pencil (i've been using blue). i've been looking for a creme eyeshadow that is a cool tone tan color that is not sparkly, not having any luck.
is the too faced shadow primer moist? or does it seem dry on your eyes? and, where do i buy it?

justajesuschick 09-06-2010 07:36 AM

I, too am allergic to many eyeshadows and ingedients. It took several trips to the derm with red, swollen and painful eyelids to discover that I am allergic to red dyes and even many "natural" ingredients. Don't get me started on mineral makeup! When I told doctor that it could not be that because it was natural, he reminded me that so was arsenic and poison ivy!!

I now have to avoid any shadows with red tones, purples, pinks and even some browns that have red undertones and then I am fine.

I have had NO issue with the Too Faced primer. It is very creamy and comes in a small squeeze tube. I get it at Sepohora but I am certain places like Ulta would carry it. It is like $17 for a tube but even with daily use I bet it lasts me a year, maybe.

I also know beauties who love MAC's Paint Pot in Painterly as a primer althogh I think it is a cream shadow.

HTH!!

rbb 09-06-2010 09:04 AM

i just went onto their website, could not find too faced eyeshadow primer, but when i put in a search for primer, it came up with shadow insurance. is this it?

kasden 09-06-2010 10:02 AM

I've been using Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion. It's really creamy and dries invisible. I tested the "Eden" colored one in a store - it has some color to it, so I think I'll try that one next. I really like the way it prevents my eyeshadow from creasing!

A friend of mine loaned me some Bobbi Brown long wear cream shadow she uses as a primer. It's SO thick - it's hard to apply and really hard to remove. I think pulling on your eyelids will make them more crinkly over time! I'm just saying...I think creamy is the way to go.

justajesuschick 09-06-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbb (Post 1463144)
i just went onto their website, could not find too faced eyeshadow primer, but when i put in a search for primer, it came up with shadow insurance. is this it?

Yes. That is it!
Here is a link:
http://sephora.com/browse/product.jh...categoryId=B70

You can read reviews there and also at makeupalley.com

rbb 09-06-2010 08:09 PM

thanks! i'm going to give it a try. i need a primer that is not drying.

curlypearl 09-07-2010 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotsawaves (Post 1459872)
Thanks, RCW. Some very good tips.

+1

Robin-in-FL 09-07-2010 05:34 AM

I avoided powder shadow for years and years, both because it dried me out and because I would rather use my fingers to apply and the sponge applicators get all messy.

But this ran out and in desperation I tried the powder shadow with a BRUSH instead of sponge applicator and do like this a lot. I just put moisturizer and foundation all over my face, including eyelids, so everything is well-hydrated, then powder shadow with a brush, and don't seem to be getting creases or drying out - I can't wear powder on my face but the shadows seem fine. I use the I-Mark ones from Avon.

And I don't find that matte looks better than a light shimmer. There seems to be a magical sort of "pantyhose" color that works very well.

rbb 09-07-2010 06:44 AM

hmm, foundation is another idea for my eyelids. on rare occasions i can use a sort of tan color creme eyeshadow without a problem. i find the cremes are less irritating to my lids, don't know what is in the powders. plus, at my age, i need all the moisture i can get!!
so i use concealer or eye primer as my color for daytime wear, and only add eyeliner near the lash line. i can use a blue one, and sometimes i can blurr it up further as a bit of eyeshadow.

Coily 11-18-2011 02:07 PM

The highly pigmented shadows with primer are good, but another trick I use is dipping the brush/sponge or Q-tip with water tapping the excess water then applying the color. When I do it though I gently tap the color onto my lid. HTH

matildagage 01-07-2012 06:49 AM

I generally use matte shadow for the lid and then a shimmery highlighter for under the brow.

I can never find one that doesn't crease after 10 hours or so.

rbb 02-07-2013 04:10 PM

clinique chubby stick eyeshadow

bumping this thread to share about clinique's new eyeshadows, chubby stick eyeshadows. they look like a very thick crayon, tip is rounded, about a 1/3" in diameter..
they go on smoothly, never crease, stay on all day. i bought one last week and loved it so much i bought two more colors.
and, they don't irritate my eyelids!!

jeepcurlygurl 02-07-2013 07:38 PM

I love powder eye shadow and would own a hundred colors, but I've yet to find one that doesn't make my eyes water.
So now I use waterproof eye crayons. My favorites are from Mally Beauty and Urban Decay.

2poodles 02-08-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbb (Post 2116020)
bumping this thread to share about clinique's new eyeshadows, chubby stick eyeshadows. they look like a very thick crayon, tip is rounded, about a 1/3" in diameter..
they go on smoothly, never crease, stay on all day. i bought one last week and loved it so much i bought two more colors.
and, they don't irritate my eyelids!!

rbb - which colors did you get?