Let's Talk EyeShadow....

Like Tree4Likes

My eyelids are crinkly. I like wearing eyeshadow, but they tend to make my eyelids look even worse. I tried Avon's Benefit Vertical Lifting Shadows, but I didn't care for it. Didn't help at all. I did a search and came up with Skinn cosmetic eyeshadows. Has anyone used these or anything else that has helped?
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
The secret for me is highly pigmented shadows (MAC and Bobbi Brown for me) in matte finish and to use a good shadow primer (Too Faced Shadow Insurance for me).
I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
Condition: DevaCurl OC
LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
Curl Enhancer:
CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler,CJRM
Thanks for the recommendations. I just ordered Too Faced Shadow and a matte finished eyeshadow from Mac. Can't wait to get it in and to try it.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
I use a very light gold/copper shimmer bronzer as eyeshadow and it disguises my crinkly lids. Just use it sparingly.

I get compliments on my great eyeshadow.
shoulder length inverted bob; fine; 3A-3B; med-thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; seems to hate moisturizing products and oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

receive $10 off 1st order of $40 & up, or $5 off on smaller orders, when using iHERB code: GIK909
Always matte. Always, always, always. I don't let sparklies of any type, not even "pearl" finish, go anywhere on my crinkley lids. Also, I wear very pigmented deep/dark shadows...to help the little-skin-overlap-thing I've got visually recede (light colors visually bring things forward, dark colors visually make them recede)...and I bring up the dark color just past the lid crease, then blend it away well. I mostly skip the "highlight" color on the upper brow...too dated of a look. I do put a teeny bit of shimmer highlight color on my inner eyes...helps to brighten the whole eye.

Brands don't necessarily matter, but you won't find many highly-pigmented shadows in the drug store. Primers help keep shadow in place for women of any age. There are lots on the market.
curlypearl likes this.
Thanks, RCW. Some very good tips.
curlypearl likes this.
From Michael Berg:

justajesuschick -- what do you like about too faced shadow primer over other primers?
my eyelids are very fragile -- i guess i'm allergic to many eye shadows, can a few creme ones okay. for daytime use i generally was using either a primer, but am finding it too dry, now use concealer, then just line the lash line with an eye pencil (i've been using blue). i've been looking for a creme eyeshadow that is a cool tone tan color that is not sparkly, not having any luck.
is the too faced shadow primer moist? or does it seem dry on your eyes? and, where do i buy it?
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
I, too am allergic to many eyeshadows and ingedients. It took several trips to the derm with red, swollen and painful eyelids to discover that I am allergic to red dyes and even many "natural" ingredients. Don't get me started on mineral makeup! When I told doctor that it could not be that because it was natural, he reminded me that so was arsenic and poison ivy!!

I now have to avoid any shadows with red tones, purples, pinks and even some browns that have red undertones and then I am fine.

I have had NO issue with the Too Faced primer. It is very creamy and comes in a small squeeze tube. I get it at Sepohora but I am certain places like Ulta would carry it. It is like $17 for a tube but even with daily use I bet it lasts me a year, maybe.

I also know beauties who love MAC's Paint Pot in Painterly as a primer althogh I think it is a cream shadow.

HTH!!
CG since 7/1/2010

Curl Enhancer:
CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
i just went onto their website, could not find too faced eyeshadow primer, but when i put in a search for primer, it came up with shadow insurance. is this it?
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
I've been using Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion. It's really creamy and dries invisible. I tested the "Eden" colored one in a store - it has some color to it, so I think I'll try that one next. I really like the way it prevents my eyeshadow from creasing!

A friend of mine loaned me some Bobbi Brown long wear cream shadow she uses as a primer. It's SO thick - it's hard to apply and really hard to remove. I think pulling on your eyelids will make them more crinkly over time! I'm just saying...I think creamy is the way to go.
2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"
I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
i just went onto their website, could not find too faced eyeshadow primer, but when i put in a search for primer, it came up with shadow insurance. is this it?
Originally Posted by rbb
Yes. That is it!
Here is a link:
http://sephora.com/browse/product.jh...categoryId=B70

You can read reviews there and also at makeupalley.com
CG since 7/1/2010

Curl Enhancer:
CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
thanks! i'm going to give it a try. i need a primer that is not drying.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
Thanks, RCW. Some very good tips.
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves
+1
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
I avoided powder shadow for years and years, both because it dried me out and because I would rather use my fingers to apply and the sponge applicators get all messy.

But this ran out and in desperation I tried the powder shadow with a BRUSH instead of sponge applicator and do like this a lot. I just put moisturizer and foundation all over my face, including eyelids, so everything is well-hydrated, then powder shadow with a brush, and don't seem to be getting creases or drying out - I can't wear powder on my face but the shadows seem fine. I use the I-Mark ones from Avon.

And I don't find that matte looks better than a light shimmer. There seems to be a magical sort of "pantyhose" color that works very well.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
hmm, foundation is another idea for my eyelids. on rare occasions i can use a sort of tan color creme eyeshadow without a problem. i find the cremes are less irritating to my lids, don't know what is in the powders. plus, at my age, i need all the moisture i can get!!
so i use concealer or eye primer as my color for daytime wear, and only add eyeliner near the lash line. i can use a blue one, and sometimes i can blurr it up further as a bit of eyeshadow.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
The highly pigmented shadows with primer are good, but another trick I use is dipping the brush/sponge or Q-tip with water tapping the excess water then applying the color. When I do it though I gently tap the color onto my lid. HTH
4b/4c;
combo hair: dry hair/oily scalp
I generally use matte shadow for the lid and then a shimmery highlighter for under the brow.

I can never find one that doesn't crease after 10 hours or so.
bumping this thread to share about clinique's new eyeshadows, chubby stick eyeshadows. they look like a very thick crayon, tip is rounded, about a 1/3" in diameter..
they go on smoothly, never crease, stay on all day. i bought one last week and loved it so much i bought two more colors.
and, they don't irritate my eyelids!!
curlypearl and wavyblonde like this.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
I love powder eye shadow and would own a hundred colors, but I've yet to find one that doesn't make my eyes water.
So now I use waterproof eye crayons. My favorites are from Mally Beauty and Urban Decay.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
bumping this thread to share about clinique's new eyeshadows, chubby stick eyeshadows. they look like a very thick crayon, tip is rounded, about a 1/3" in diameter..
they go on smoothly, never crease, stay on all day. i bought one last week and loved it so much i bought two more colors.
and, they don't irritate my eyelids!!
Originally Posted by rbb
rbb - which colors did you get?
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Trending Topics