Undereye circles

I have really dark undereye circles. What have you found that works best to disguise this? Have you found anything that makes them less dark? It's not from allergies - hereditary. My mom had them also.
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
ah, we are really getting into my territory here!! i also have dark circles, hereditary from my mom. i envy women who don't, they can easily go without makeup. just putting on concealer leaves a strange look, so then i just add a bit of concealer to my top lid, a little blush, and that is the best 'no makeup' look for me. of course, there are times i am totally without makeup, but that is mostly like a beach vacation!
the concealer i've found that works best for me (not perfect, just the best to date) is cle de peau. it is a little pricey, but it lasts forever!! truly. and it is creamy and stays on.
if you find something that is really good, let me know!
for a while i tried bobby brown primer for concealers, but that did not work as well.
oh, and, cle de peau also has a foundation primer that i add towards the outer ends of my under eye instead of the concealer all the way, and that helps diminish the look of the circles.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
ah, we are really getting into my territory here!! i also have dark circles, hereditary from my mom. i envy women who don't, they can easily go without makeup. just putting on concealer leaves a strange look, so then i just add a bit of concealer to my top lid, a little blush, and that is the best 'no makeup' look for me. of course, there are times i am totally without makeup, but that is mostly like a beach vacation!
the concealer i've found that works best for me (not perfect, just the best to date) is cle de peau. it is a little pricey, but it lasts forever!! truly. and it is creamy and stays on.
if you find something that is really good, let me know!
for a while i tried bobby brown primer for concealers, but that did not work as well.
oh, and, cle de peau also has a foundation primer that i add towards the outer ends of my under eye instead of the concealer all the way, and that helps diminish the look of the circles.
Originally Posted by rbb
I use this primer (the one with the SPF 26) and use this Edward Bess concealer:

http://prostores4.megawebservers.com...LER/Detail.bok

This concealer is the best one I have ever used and I've even shelled out for the cle de peau concealer which is ridiculously expensive and the Edward Bess is far better. This stuff even works on the red patches around my nose and nothing ever worked there before.

You can only get it on his website or Bergdorf's site or at the Bergdorf store on 5th Ave. NYC.

By-the-way, his lipstick is truly long lasting without being drying. There are reviews for his products on makeupalley.com.
I use this primer (the one with the SPF 26) and use this Edward Bess concealer:

http://prostores4.megawebservers.com...LER/Detail.bok

This concealer is the best one I have ever used and I've even shelled out for the cle de peau concealer which is ridiculously expensive and the Edward Bess is far better. This stuff even works on the red patches around my nose and nothing ever worked there before.

You can only get it on his website or Bergdorf's site or at the Bergdorf store on 5th Ave. NYC.

By-the-way, his lipstick is truly long lasting without being drying. There are reviews for his products on makeupalley.com.
Originally Posted by sdc
i looked it up online, and just closed my eyes and ordered one. if you say it is better than cle de peau, i'm willing to give it a try. any idea how long it will take to get to me? i live on long island.
thanks!
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
It took at least 5 days before I got it, but I'm on the West Coast. I would think you would get it by Friday at the latest.

I hope you like it. I think it will last forever. I haven't even bothered to twist the tube up. I am still just running my brush along the top with it inside the tube.
When you say "hereditary" do you mean the skin is too thin?
I think of dark circles as having 3 main causes so no one thing can fix them:
Tired
Allergies
Thin skin

If it's thin skin you might want to try an eye cream designed to help that skin get more substantial.

For concealers, I like the Avon Anew concealer. It looks like house paint, not a good finish, but I wear foundation and it looks fine once that's on; and it sticks like nobody's business, stays on all day and covers well. Applicator is a brush so you can be gentle (pressing there freaks me out so I do not like the roller ball things or stick concealers).
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
I am always looking for a good concealer. When I was younger, I loved Lancome Effacernes, but that is too drying for me now. I am using the old formula of Maybelline Age Rewind (bought it on eBay before it was completely unavailable), but still not sold on it.

Bought the non-waterproof Lancome concealer recently, and I'm not sold on it. The good news is that my daughter is now using it up. (Yes, dark circles ARE hereditary!)

I'm intrigued by the Edward Bess recommendation, but yowsa, it's expensive. (I don't even want to know the price of cle de peau.) It's not something you can sell or swap once you've used it, you know?

Last edited by Verity; 09-07-2010 at 04:26 PM.
I've had dark circles all my life -- I started using concealer on them when I had just entered junior high!

What I'm using right now is Clinique All About Eyes -- I use the eye cream to help with puffiness and to moisturize, and I use the All About Eyes concealer (in 04 - medium petal) under my eyes. It is amazing, lasts all day, isn't too expensive, and matches my skin tone really well.

I prefer the creamy concealers but I also use Benefit's Boi-ing (in 02) periodically, which is the kind you swipe your finger across (it's in a little compact-type case).
~ Wendi in IL
3a - fine, colored hair w/normal porosity (loves protein!)
CG since March 2010
Co-Wash: V05, Suave or Cure Care
Low Poo: Desert Essence
Condish: GVP Balm, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
Leave-In:
Cure Care, KCKT
Styler: SS FHG, Re-Coil, LALSG, BRHG

the edward bess concealer came in today, only two days to get here. i gave it a try immediately, and so far, i'm loving it. good coverage, creamy..... i'll use it for the next few days and report back.
btw, i just looked up cle de peau concealer and it is way more expensive than edward bess. cdp is $70!! eb is $38. so, this may be a winner in more ways than one. i've got my fingers crossed that it wears well this next week.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
the edward bess concealer came in today, only two days to get here. i gave it a try immediately, and so far, i'm loving it. good coverage, creamy..... i'll use it for the next few days and report back.
btw, i just looked up cle de peau concealer and it is way more expensive than edward bess. cdp is $70!! eb is $38. so, this may be a winner in more ways than one. i've got my fingers crossed that it wears well this next week.
Originally Posted by rbb
YAY! I'm still really liking it. It is the only concealer I have ever used that actually works. Hope you still like it after another week.
I've been using Estee Lauder Double Wear concealer and it provides pretty good coverage without looking too dry.

Robin-in-FL:
Do you have any recs for the eye creams you speak of for thin undereye skin?
Ontario, Canada
3a/3b - fine texture/high porosity
CURRENT LINE-UP:
experimenting....
Others: CLU towel, Mebco comb, occasional diffuser
This is probably a dumb question, but do you put foundation over your concealer? I find that concealer alone can look ok (other than the too-light color), but when I try to layer foundation on top, everything wants to pool into the lines under my eyes.
i rarely use foundation, and if i do i do not put it over the concealer. finds that it is too much, cakes and looks icky.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
I found out from the makeup board on this site that you should put your concealer on after foundation, but I don't use foundation under my eyes. I do around my nose though and then put concealer on top of that.
I've been using Estee Lauder Double Wear concealer and it provides pretty good coverage without looking too dry.

Robin-in-FL:
Do you have any recs for the eye creams you speak of for thin undereye skin?
Originally Posted by sarina32

The only ones I know work for everyone, every time, are real Retin-A creams from the doctor. But anything with a lot of Vitamin C or retinoids (if you can tolerate them) or other antioxidants should help with the thin skin.

I sell Avon so that is the stuff I know the most about - note I do not sell Avon here on NC, so am not selling at you. My customers have had good results with the Anew Alternative Eye cream lessening dark circles that were not from allergies, I think it is because of the antioxidants, not because they anti-oxidize, but because they, like the Retinoids, make the skin turn over faster and get stronger.

If they really bother you, and if you don't go out in the sun, and if you have a doctor who will give you the Retin-A, I'd try for that - there is a GENERIC tretinoin cream and gel so it's not actually that expensive anymore.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
I have deep-set eyes, so I am prone to dark circles. I started using Avene Eluage cream (in the little pump bottle) after recs on MUA. I had purchased it as a nighttime face cream, but it did nothing for me that way. When I started using it as an eye cream at night, it really did help with fine lines and the dark circles.

I use Well-Rested by Bare Escentuals as my under eye concealer during the day. I barely need to wear this anymore, but I do out of habit I guess. I really like this product because it's lightweight, can be applied heavier if needed, doesn't settle in my lines (yes, some are still there).
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
spiralli -- what is MUA?

is the cream drying? moisturizing? do you use only that?

if i did not have these dark circles, there are many more times i'd go without makeup. it's not that i think about them, but i sure would love to lighten them!
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
MUA = MakeUp Alley = http://www.makeupalley.com

Avene Eluage is very moisturizing, IME. I love it. I use it only at night. I'm sure if you search the boards people will say they use it both day and night, but due to the retinaldehyde in Eluage, you would need to wear s/s over the area if you are using it during the day. I use all my retinols/retinoids at night only.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
So concealer only under the eyes? How do you choose a shade? I have always followed the rule of choosing a concealer shade that's a bit lighter than my foundation shade, but that won't really work if you aren't going to layer it.

Looking at the Edward Bess site (yea, I'm still thinking about that one even though it is much more than I usually would spend on concealer), I'd clearly go with ivory/nude since there are only four shades. How would you choose a shade in a brand that has more color selection? (Just read a couple of sites that say yellowish tones are best for camouflaging purplish circles, which I have.)

Last edited by Verity; 09-11-2010 at 12:21 PM.
yellowish tones just make my skin look bad! my skin is cool tone, and i need cool tones for my concealer, not warm tones. so that is why i ordered the lightest concealer, ivory/nude, and so far it seems to be right for my complexion. i've tried darker concealers, and they look wrong. (according to my computer, which is always a guess, it seemed that the one up had a yellowish hue, but that could have been my computer). i always need to go just a little bit lighter for it to look right. and this one looks right.
hard to describe, but this concealer has a different look about it, not at all cakey, that i like. (at least so far, only used it two days, today when i put on makeup will be my third.)
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]

Trending Topics