Has your hair turned curly after being straight?

Has anyone experienced this? My hair has been straight most of my life, but when vacationing in humid climates, I spent a crazy amount of time trying to control my curly hair. As I became gray, my hair is now curly in dry, dry Colorado! I recently dreamt that I had that thick, shiny, straight Pantene-commercial hair. My response to my own dream was, "OH NO! Where are my curls??" As I'm in my late 50s, I've found it very freeing to just air-dry and go. People are getting used to seeing me curly, but I got a lot of strange looks when I went back and forth for a few months.
Sulfates/cone-free since 2/1/10: Type: 3b, fine & thinnish. Water: Alkaline well water. Climate: Dry mile-high. Wash: Elucence Moisture Benefits alternating with a mixture of Devacare Low-Poo & No-Poo. CO: CJ Deep Fix or CJ Curl Rehab. Styling Product: Small amt. CJ CIAB combed through sopping wet hair. Style: Scrunch out water w/Curls Like Us cloth, Plop for 15 min with Curl-ease towel, finger comb and shake upside down, clip to add height at part, air dry. Color: Demi at a salon.
Yes, except that I just got waves. Truly, with my straight hair, people would stop me and ask if I used Pantene (um, no) because I had sleek, shiny, silky hair. Mine is kind of a mess right now. I wish it would decide if it is straight or curly!! I hope as it gets grayer that it gets curly! My stylist indicates that the change is a hormonal gift.
Here is my photographic evidence:
I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
Condition: DevaCurl OC
LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
Curl Enhancer:
CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler,CJRM
Yeah...you had that Pantene hair! That was the hair I wanted my whole life instead of thin wispy stuff, but now I like my curls and your waves! I found this interesting piece from NPR.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=102074149
Sulfates/cone-free since 2/1/10: Type: 3b, fine & thinnish. Water: Alkaline well water. Climate: Dry mile-high. Wash: Elucence Moisture Benefits alternating with a mixture of Devacare Low-Poo & No-Poo. CO: CJ Deep Fix or CJ Curl Rehab. Styling Product: Small amt. CJ CIAB combed through sopping wet hair. Style: Scrunch out water w/Curls Like Us cloth, Plop for 15 min with Curl-ease towel, finger comb and shake upside down, clip to add height at part, air dry. Color: Demi at a salon.
Very interesting!
My hair was more wavy than curly when I was young but I still don't know if it's because it was that way naturally or because my mom brushed it and put it in braids and ponies and clips and other 'control' devices. It's been 3A-3B curly since I started taking care of it myself in my early teens.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Oh, yeah, I can relate. I was stick straight my whole life until I turned 45. Must be perimenopause hormones. You can see a photo of my straight hair if you click on my photobucket link below.
< member since 2006. No idea where 1969 came from.
Oh, yeah, I can relate. I was stick straight my whole life until I turned 45. Must be perimenopause hormones.
Originally Posted by eche428
It must be some being 45 thing! Definitely a hormonal gift! Glad to know that I am not alone!!
CG since 7/1/2010

Curl Enhancer:
CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
eche! Your hair is beautiful! Mine now, just 2 months in, looks like yours in the beginning. I SOOOO hope that mine will get as curly and as beautiful as yours!
CG since 7/1/2010

Curl Enhancer:
CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
eche! Your hair is beautiful! Mine now, just 2 months in, looks like yours in the beginning. I SOOOO hope that mine will get as curly and as beautiful as yours!
Originally Posted by justajesuschick
Oh, thank you!
< member since 2006. No idea where 1969 came from.
eche428, your hair looks much better wavy! It's very pretty. One thing to be happy about, yes?

I'm not 45 yet, so don't know, but my gray hair seems to come in the same texture as the non-gray, so I expect no change. Some of my kids and all my siblings had the amazing straight-to-curly-at-puberty thing happen, but my hair was always about the same, except now it is thinner.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!

Last edited by Robin-in-FL; 09-14-2010 at 05:13 AM.
I did the puberty straight-to-curly thing. That seems to be fairly common.

I'm 49 and probably 40% gray (which I color). It's same texture as it was before turning gray. Time will tell!
shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)

Trending Topics