Will you keep longer hair as you get older?

Like Tree8Likes

I got mine cut short a few years ago and I just look better with it short, even my husband prefers it short. Longer was just pulling down my features. I used to be pretty and as I got closer and closer to 50 I knew I looked not very good, but didn't know why. My skin still was in decent shape and I have never been more than a few pounds overweight. I went for a consultation with a hairstylist recommended on this site, she cut my hair short and the first thing hubby said when I got home is "You look cute". And I did. I got very positive reactions at work the next day and when my friends that I see only once in a while saw me they all seemed to love it. I think it just depends on the person.
Originally Posted by sdc
I agree.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
Iíve cut my hair several times but always kept it long enough so when I get frustrated I would be able to just tie it up in a ponytail. For me that rule will always apply.

Plus being I have a full head of big curls - the shorter my hair the more I resemble a spoofed up snow cone - even moreso as I go gray.

Iíve cut my hair several times but always kept it long enough so when I get frustrated I would be able to just tie it up in a ponytail. For me that rule will always apply.

Plus being I have a full head of big curls - the shorter my hair the more I resemble a spoofed up snow cone - even moreso as I go gray.
Originally Posted by SilverCurls
Love that description!!!!
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Well, it depends. If it makes nice waves or curls and I still feel like dealing with it, I'll keep it "short long", like shoulder length or so (can't maintain it shorter than that, I am too lazy about haircuts).

I don't know if I'll ever grow it past hip length again, but I have always said that when I got old, I'd be rocking on the front porch with a long fat gray braid, and a shotgun behind the rocking chair, LOL. So if it stays thick and gets a good gray and I get tired of styling, yes, I'll grow it long because it's easier overall. But only to waist I think, longer than that gets more difficult for me.

@ Heidi, I thought my terminal length was BSL too, for years and years, but when I actually DID NOT CUT my hair, no trims but dusting about 1/4" maybe twice over six years, I found out it gets a lot longer than that if I do not cut it.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!

Last edited by Robin-in-FL; 09-20-2010 at 05:00 AM.
Absolutely! I had someone tell me recently that long hair doesn't belong on older women. I think that's ridiculous! It's our crowning glory! That doesn't stop, even when it's gray! I've seen long silky silvery hair on some women, and it's beautiful. I hope to have hair like that eventually, and I don't care what people think a woman my age is "supposed" to have. The way I figure, if it's not supposed to be long past a certain age, God would make it stop growing!
Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
LA Looks Sport Gel
Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
I will be 46 next month and did not start growing out my pixie until 4.5 years ago. I now have waist length, thick, 3a hair that I LOVE. I have no idea how much longer I will grow but will NEVER go back to short.
Hilo, Hawaii
MOD/GC since 5/08-no silicones or SLS
2b/3a Long (waist length when wet) , THICK and course
Lo-Poo-Jessicurl HCC,KC come clean, CJ daily fix conditioner
Condish-Leave in-KCNT,Moisture Maniac
Styling-re:coil, KCCC, BSRHG
hair who needs it
My hair is SL stretched now (in the back, at least. Other parts of my hair are either ear length or chin length). I plan to keep growing my hair until it's at least APL stretched. The longest my hair ever got with a relaxer was SL and that didn't happen very often. It was more often around neck length, so I want to see how long my hair gets in its natural state.
Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
BC'd: 9/18/09
Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
i am almost 61, mine is long (waist length wet) and now i am going gray and i have the 2 or 3 toned look. we'll see what shakes out...could be interesting
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/fa...mikemusic.html
let me know if u can see this pic or not
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
i am almost 61, mine is long (waist length wet) and now i am going gray and i have the 2 or 3 toned look. we'll see what shakes out...could be interesting
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/fa...mikemusic.html
let me know if u can see this pic or not
Originally Posted by banjocurl
banjo, your gray hair is coming in fast! it looks gorgeous on you!!
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
I agree! Love the gray, banjo. It will take a looong time to grow it out if you keep the length. Mine's not nearly as long as yours and it's been almost 2 years - the last of the color should be gone by early 2011.
2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
COs: Yes to Cucumbers
Stylers: Krystal Ecostyler, KCCC,

Unique and Useful gifts & accessories
www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com and www.EweniqueEssentials.etsy.com
thanks y'all!! i am ok with the gray taking a long time to grow in as long as it does not look too stupid. its only been 3 months since coloring. i will update pics as we go along. the thing i am worried about is when i lose my suntan i might look really dreadful....i do not want short hair tho. i think if i cut my hair short i will look totally old. i find that i like it best when i pull my hair back because the streaky thing is better than the solid gray of the part. the original reason i started to go gray was because the hair seemed too dark for the aging face and i did not want to bleach it. i was using a natural, single process robt craig golden blonde #18 and it made my hair darkish--i liked the color but i felt it was beginning to look a bit strange with my aging face. ok now . gotta lose 30 lbs
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
Speckla
Looking good, Banjo!! Hot mama!

Someday I'll let my grey grow out too. (I say this as I sit with a headful or henna). I hope it looks 1/2 as gorgeous as yours.
Definitely, I prefer mine BSL. I just don't look right with short hair.

I really need to get a pic up with my gray growth, it's been since March I think.
Southern Colorado Curly
Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
I had my hair super-short (~1-2") for most of my life. I'm now growing it out, and it's about 4-6" long. I am over 50.

I'm having a lot of fun with my curls. I used to hate them, thus the short haircut.
Hair type: normal texture, thick, wavy, low porosity, normal elasticity
I'm in the minority here... With the exception of doing a big chop up to mid-shoulder blade length 3 years ago, I've always had long hair. Even now it's below BSL (curly) / waist-length (pulled).

Frankly, I'm tired of it. I already have a full life, especially now with the addition of a newborn - it's just getting to be too much to maintain. I don't buy into the "older women should have short hair" myth either, but now that I'm 40, I'd like to make a change.

I think I'd like to go to about the top of my shoulders and keep it that length from now on... or at least until I change my mind.
I'm in the minority here... With the exception of doing a big chop up to mid-shoulder blade length 3 years ago, I've always had long hair. Even now it's below BSL (curly) / waist-length (pulled).

Frankly, I'm tired of it. I already have a full life, especially now with the addition of a newborn - it's just getting to be too much to maintain. I don't buy into the "older women should have short hair" myth either, but now that I'm 40, I'd like to make a change.

I think I'd like to go to about the top of my shoulders and keep it that length from now on... or at least until I change my mind.
Originally Posted by vegas_curls

I don't think I knew you were having a baby. CONGRATS!

It's possible that your desire to cut your hair has to do with being post-partum rather than feeling over-40. I got a wild urge to cut my hair after each baby was born. Newborns are challenging and as they get to be a few months old, they are constantly pulling and grabbing your hair (and earrings, and glasses, and shirts) and having long hair just seems like a PITA. And it is a PITA. Just go slowly and don't go so short that you'll regret it (like I did one time...I cut it supershort...it didn't look good and took quite a while to grow out).
I've actually never had hair much past my shoulders or collarbone. My current goal is BSL, and I'm particularly inspired by all of the celebs with their long hair (even though many are probably extensions).

I don't look good with short hair. And having 3 kids 6 and under, I don't want to go for the "mom cut", I'd rather rock the long hair. It makes me look younger.

Though some people do look younger when they go shorter.

Hair Type - medium to fine texture, high porosity, lots of it, type 2b/3a
Thanks RCW, and thanks for the advice.

When my hair was mid-shoulder blade length, I loved it, so I know that I should be okay at that length at least. Honestly the only reason that I let it grow back out is because I moved out here to Vegas and haven't found anyone that I trust enough to seriously cut my hair.

And yeah, some of what I'm feeling could be post-partum, but another big reason for wanting to go much shorter is because of the heat. Here it is, the end of September, and we're still in 3-digit temperatures. I've had my hair either in a bun or a big braid now for about 4 months straight. Time for change.
Longer as in between shoulder length and BSL, yes.

Probably not longer than that because, even with it thinning and a layered cut, it's too much hair when it gets much longer.

I had my boss tell me today that I was too old to have my current hairstyle and length and she asked me if I wasn't too old for barrettes, too. Told her no, not when my hair flopped in my face without 'em!
2C, maybe
Biolage Conditioning Balm
Deva Curls One condition
GF Triple Nutrition conditioner, deep conditioner and leave in spray
anGell and Set it Free

Trending Topics