Will you keep longer hair as you get older?

Like Tree8Likes

Isn't it amazing when your boss thinks they can take such liberties?
Southern Colorado Curly
Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
I had my boss tell me today that I was too old to have my current hairstyle and length and she asked me if I wasn't too old for barrettes, too. Told her no, not when my hair flopped in my face without 'em!
Originally Posted by RoseMadder
so what kind of work do u do and what kind of relationship do u have w this boss? seems like a bit of a boundary violation on her part, at least without further context.....
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
Wow! I LOVE that so many of you want to keep your longer locks! So many people in my area think that just because I'm 45, I'm going to cut my hair off soon. My Mom still has long hair and she's 68.

The ONLY time I ever cut off my hair enough to call it short is when I'm trying to get rid of something I did to it. (like when I was trying to get rid of what was left of my Japanese straightening back in 2002)

Anyhoo... yeah. I'll keep it long, thanks.
Janet ~ Northern NJ
Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
My Picasa Album
What I used in this photo:
Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
Styling: CJCQ
Speckla

Mine is right here (fingers) when pulled as straight as it'll go. I plan on being atleast hip length while curly!
Rosemadder, Why would your boss think it would matter how you wear your hair?

I work in a dental office and my hair can look pretty wild. I told my dr that I wanted to have a nose piercing and he said he wouldn't allow it. Don't you love that. He signs my paychecks so I guess he owns me. I told him I didn't think the patients would notice it anymore than my hair. He then told me HE personally didn't like piercings or tattoos. OK, daddy. Really not ok. I'm going to do it and he can just fire my ass. I know he won't because I've made changes to his office and we are bringing in more money, even in this economy.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
Speckla, your hair is GORGEOUS!!!
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I've always worn my hair short and now I'm growing it. It's just about shoulder length now. I like it! Age won't determine the length of my hair or it's style. What matters is what looks well with your features and what goes with your lifestyle.
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
CP, once again I'm requesting a pic of you.

I look better with my hair either really, really short or long. In between just doesn't suit me.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
I'm loving this thread. I have always prefered my hair longer. Not WL or even BSL for myself (lately) but past SL for sure. Finding NC.com was a big help with that, as I learned why my hair worked better at a longer length, but honestly: why does our culture seem to have this obsession with a women cutting her hair after a certain age? My bff started on this by the time we were reaching 30. (I'm now 44, she's 45.) Really? 30 is too old for longer hair? Nonsense. The women on this thread, are proof positive that there is no age limit for hair.
3a/2c
Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
I'm pretty close to Banjo's age and my hair is mid back. It's bugging me right now because I colored it and it's too dark. (Left the color on too long and used two boxes.) And it's kind of dry. But, yes, I like it long.

Speaking of long hair in the workplace, I always hear from a relative "So and So cut her hair and it now looks more professional." Anyone else heard this?

And, Banjo, your hair looks great! Are you going to leave it as long as it is as you grow it out? That's one of my concerns about letting my hair go gray. I don't want to cut it.

Of course, Jeep, your hair looks wonderful as usual.
Maudie
Banned
Rosemadder, Why would your boss think it would matter how you wear your hair?

I work in a dental office and my hair can look pretty wild. I told my dr that I wanted to have a nose piercing and he said he wouldn't allow it. Don't you love that. He signs my paychecks so I guess he owns me. I told him I didn't think the patients would notice it anymore than my hair. He then told me HE personally didn't like piercings or tattoos. OK, daddy. Really not ok. I'm going to do it and he can just fire my ass. I know he won't because I've made changes to his office and we are bringing in more money, even in this economy.
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves
I am sorry to break it to you but when you work in a profession FACING the client, you need to present yourself in a discreet manner. That means tightly worn hair and no visible tattoos nor piercings.

Moreover, why would you wear a visible piercing at work? Your personal life should not interfere with your professional job. If I had someone going down my mouth with a pierced nose I would subconsciously question their validity and possibly ask the doctor to have someone else do my dental work. Not only do I think like this but so would many others. If you weren't born with it, I don't want to see it as a customer that I am.

And for the record, I have long hair (check my sig) so it is not like I am against freedom of expression but you have to think of what others, who are going to pay YOU, will think.
Speckla
Lotsa,
I can understand your employer wanting nothing other than traditional piercings (ears, usually no more than 1 pair and less than 1" and no large hoops). But hair length shouldn't be an issue as long as it's out of your face and tied back since you work in a dental office because it could be a hygiene issue with loose hairs coming off and getting on people or on the equipment.

I will wear my hair down but I keep my bangs out of my eyes and I wear headbands to keep my hair from falling forward. I work in a very casual business office. I think my hair is fine down and long provided it's clean and groomed.
I understand dress codes and rules about clothes, piercings, etc (and thank god there's no rules where I work), but please don't try to tell me how my natural hair should look. Unless I'm working around food or machinery, don't even think of asking me to straighten, cut, pull back, or do anything else with my hair.

Thanks Maudie!! : )
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
There are definite dress codes where I work i.e. no visible tattoos, one small earring in each ear, modest attire, etc. (For the most part, though, they are unenforced.)

I always wear my hair down. I guess to some it could look a tad unruly. But I wear the sides up. This makes me feel more groomed and I don't have to mess with it falling in my face.

No one has ever mentioned that I should do something about my hair.
Maudie
I saw this article this morning. Seems like everyone worries about long hair and getting older. The comments were interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/24/fashion/24Mirror.html

And Banjocurls, I love your hair and have watched your youtube videos. I'll be watching for pics of your grow out.

Last edited by dc curly; 10-22-2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: fix link, I hope
Thanks for sharing that article, dc curly. It was well written and I like that author's hair! It was especially refreshing to hear about a woman who doesn't dye her hair just because it's turning gray.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I missed the photo, glad you posted it.

Her hair is not as long as I'd imagined, but I like it.

I came here to post this story but someone beat me to it.

My hair will be long as I get older. It suits me, always has, and I don't see why that would change just because of a few wrinkles.
Here's another picture of Ms. Browning.
and another, at a gathering of fashionable socialite ladies.
Hmm, they all appear to me to have fairly long hair, and they all appear to be past 50 years old. That to me would make long hair over 40 the rule rather than the exception.

Last edited by crwritt; 10-24-2010 at 05:43 PM.
I just saw the New York Times article and was pretty sure it was being discussed here.

I don't like the idea that having long hair is seen as a "mark of feminism." WTH? Isn't feminism about choice?

I still say that many older women are kidding themselves that long hair is flattering on them. Look in the mirror. Consider your face shape and the size of your features, your eyes in particular. Long hair can swallow up small features and/or drag down a long, angular face. It just doesn't work on everyone. There is nothing attractive about a hairstyle that screams, "Get this woman some coffee and a facelift!"

I have to say that I'm glad that Hillary Clinton let her hair get a little longer, just because the length softens her round face. On the other hand, I don't think BSL hair would suit her or be appropriate for her age or profession.

Trending Topics