Will you keep longer hair as you get older?

Like Tree8Likes

speckla your hair is fabulous!! thanks for the compliment dc. yes it is now almost 5 months since the last coloring and i am ok with the gray so far. my hair is now 32 1/2" long. i am scheduled to see ana at deva tomorrow for my once yearly cut/shaping. i loved the article in NY times, comments were interesting for sure. unfortunately i did not see much "curly awareness" but you cant have everything. i find long hair very low maintenance, i am happy with it even tho i wish it was nice and thick like speckla's....
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
I'm 39 and I just started growing my hair after 5 years with a pixie. I think I will likely grow and cut my hair according to my mood as I grow older.
To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
an update--had about 5-6" cut off my hair by Ana at devachan. my ends were pretty trashed and she put new layers in. so it is still longer than the typical 60 year old but not quite as long as it was--i am feeling a bit naked but my hair looks much healthier--i put up a new album on fotki. just visited my girlfriend who has gorgeous silver gray hair with white around her face--shes in her early 50s and looks gorgeous--and 2 other friends
Attached Thumbnails
Will you keep longer hair as you get older?-2010generosarcrop.jpg   Will you keep longer hair as you get older?-2010generogray2cr.jpg  
Susan suburban NY
CG since 11/11/04
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
banjolady, your haircut looks great and I think that you will look amazing with long gray hair. You are one of my older-lady-looks idols.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
Looks good, banjo! It's worth sacrificing some length to get healthier hair - and your hair is still nice and long, by my definition! And your friends have beautiful hair as well!
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Looks great banjo!
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
banjolady, your haircut looks great and I think that you will look amazing with long gray hair. You are one of my older-lady-looks idols.
Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL

thanks y'all for the support, though the older-lady idea is a bit shocking to my youthful self image
Susan suburban NY
CG since 11/11/04
Aww, don't be shocked! I just mean I really, really like when I see older ladies who do not look Young exactly but look Great, in good shape and good style, good hair and looks. This is my goal - not to deceive or look like someone I'm not, but to show everyone that my age looks GOOD.

You would not be who you are without all the experience!
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
ive carefully made up my mind to go next week and have 2 inches off the bottom and have it framed around the face. my reason for wanting to do this slowly is mainly b cuz ive got thick hair whic really poofs out when shorter. hes gonna do some layers so it wont pull down so much in back. i will also allow for shrinkage. but im gonna keep one of the longer curly locks of hair long. since my hair is curly it wii more than likely blend in. its so hard for me to cut my hair after waiting so lonf for it to get long. if i decide to go a lil shorter i will do it inch by inch. id never forgive myself if i chpped it short all at once and i hated it! who knows how fast a 45yr old hair grows if even at all once u reach a certain age lisa
I agree that various hair lengths and styles flatter each woman's face differently. I've seen women get short hair and look much younger, and I've seen women grow their hair out and look younger. I've also seen just the opposite where women chop it off because they are a certain age and wind up looking like the cliche/sterotypical middle aged woman.

I've noticed that I'm less concerned with length in my early 40s now than I used to be, and instead I am focused on the healthiness and curl of my hair, but I still like it long- just not super long like I used to have. But I must admit that I do have some long hair friends my age and I think their hair drags down their face and shorter hair would flatter them more, but they love their length and they are happy with it- and that's what really matters!

3a (
with 3b)
Fine texture/
Normal porosity/Medium density
Low Poo
(Aveda's damage remedy); Styling: Aveda's: Color Conserve Daily leave in+ Be Curly Style Prep+ Phomollient (mixed w/ Defining Whip)
Finishing: Aveda's Texturizing Creme or Defining Whip; Eufora Pure Polish Drops
Color
Maintenance:
Aveda's Madder Root condish+Clove condish
i will do it inch by inch. id never forgive myself if i chpped it short all at once and i hated it! who knows how fast a 45yr old hair grows if even at all once u reach a certain age lisa
Originally Posted by lisa45
well i am here to tell you that even at the advanced age of 61 hair STILL GROWS!!!! otherwise you would never see those little old ladies in the salon getting cuts and color.
Susan suburban NY
CG since 11/11/04
I used to look great in hair of all lengths.

Recently, I decided to go for a short haircut - something I would have looked cute in when I was younger.

Big mistake. It added ten years to my appearance.

I'm letting it grow out now, and when it gets to shoulder length (it's about collar length now), I will have it trimmed and shaped.

I see now that I look much better in long hair as I get older - as long as it doesn't get too long or thin and droopy or stringy.

If it starts to get too thin, I'll have to think about what to do next.
I have been thinking about this at lot. I am on my 40's and have thick long 3bs... My dilemma is that I seem to be able to wear my curls past my shoulder or very short- mid lenghth tends to give me too much volume (when I had a bob I straightened it). I like my natural curl , but I hope that some day I will find a happy medium cut 
I recently had my hair cut to just above shoulder length when dry. This is a good length for me as it gives the illusion of more volume. I found that my fine hair was looking a bit scraggly at the ends when it was longer.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I got my haircut fairly short right after I turned 50. I didn't exactly intend to, I just told her to do what she thought would look best as I was very unhappy with how I had been looking for the past year or so. Anyway, it looked sooo cute. I got a ton of compliments. I realized that my hair had been dragging my face down. I had been wondering why I didn't look very good anymore. Lately (8 years later), I had been growing it out thinking I really liked the way it felt blowing in the wind. However, I finally realized that I was not looking good at all so I got it cut short again. The compliments are coming (which I like), and most important I think I look a lot better. However, I am a little sad that longer hair just doesn't work for me anymore. But not sad enough to let it grow. It's important to me to look as good as I can, and if that makes me shallow then so be it.
I think about this a lot. since I've let my hair grow longer (bra strap) and it's colored auburn, I get tons of compliments....including lots from much youger people. So as long as that continues, I guess I'll keep it long.
What counts is what looks good on one's particular head, face, and overall look. I love the look of long hair on some people, but for me, since I have very thick hair, and a somewhat shorter neck, hair that clears the shoulders at least looks better on me plus it's easier to color and take care of. It's long enough however to avoid the "helmet head" or "zen monk" looks that it seems that a lot of middle-aged women go for which although flattering to some, doesn't suit all by any means. My personal solution is the angled bob that stacks up nicely in the back. My haircutter is terrific at this and is great with curls in general - awesome! I do my own color, which also gets compliments. One has to go with what looks good now, other than regretting something that has lived past its prime.
I had my hair cut quite short about a month ago so I am reading this thread with great interest!
I have to say I love seeing long healthy hair on women of any age & enjoyed having long hair myself for a few years but as someone else on this thread said the feeling of the beautiful long swishing hair blowing in the wind didn't quite meet with the image of someone who had been dragged through a hedge backwards I saw in the mirror!
My decision to go short was not totally age related, I have had my hair many lengths & styles over the years but I think my decision to keep it long was age related, I did't want people to think I'd had it cut just because I was over 40 so I had been putting off the BC for a couple of years at least.
I am quite petite & think all that long dark hair was dragging me down, I know I'm not ready to go grey yet so a good cut was the obvious solution. Anyway I'm so glad I finally went for it, a few people have told me I actually look younger & it has given me a real lift visually & psychologically, I'm not hiding behind my hair anymore!
I don't think my hair is always less maintainance this short as I have to style it every day & can't get away with just putting it in a bun anymore, but my hair can look good with less effort.
I have friends in their 40s & 50s some with long hair, some with short, some with grey, I love the fact that we are all different.
U.K curly

2C/3A Wavy Whirly & Curly Twirly.
Golden brown with highlights.
Low poo: Dr Organic, L'Oreal Everpure.
Conditioner: Dr Organic Argan Oil, Boots Coconut & Almond.
Leave In: Dr Organic, Boots,.
Gel: JF Frizz Ease, Umberto Gianni.
I just started reading this thread and with great interest. I just turned 53 and last year decided to embrace my naturally curly hair. My goal, is to let my hair grow long enough to be able to pull all of it back into a pony tail. Right now, the front is a little below my nose and the back is a little below CBL when stretched. On the gray hair, well that's another story all together; I am determined to do a henna/indigo treatment each month for as long as I can - I'm not ready yet for a full head of gray hair.
sulfate, silicone and protein free since 6/11
porosity - normal to low
elasticity - normal

love my curls
HGs:
FSG
Henna
My own butter mixture
My own version of Terressentials mud wash
From my start of growing out curly in 2004 (I think it was, I will know for sure when I see my sig lol ), I've been getting older and my hair has been getting longer. But I think I am at a stopping point. It's curling nicely when dry at just below shoulder length and I don't think I want it much longer than this. I want to keep trimming to get my bottom edges looking fuller/less stringy.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!

Trending Topics