Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Over 40

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #81

I'm 40 now and been trying to grow my hair longer for about 2 years. It seems stuck at shoulder length. It'll get to a little below that, but need a trim and poof! all my progress gets trimmed off with the split ends. (I get a Deva cut about once every 6 months)

Does anyone else find that their hair grows slower now as opposed to when they were in their 20s/30s? Well, early 30s.
My hair's texture/density also seems to be changing. It used to be thicker and more coarse, and it's thinning now. I still have alot of hair, but it's not as thick and as heavy as it used to be. I remember my mom's hair doing the same thing. She always had thin hair, but hers got really, really thin after she turned 40 and into her 50s. She's 60 now and her hair is super thin. And she has lost very nearly all her curl, but I think that is more due to straightening it every day for too many years.

Any advice on how to grow my hair? I actually want it BSL and I just can't get there. I used to have it BSL when I was in college and it was so pretty, then I did a BC and its never been long since. Thanks!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
Auntie Bubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #82

Send a message via AIM to Gretchen

Auntie Bubbs, I have the same issue. My hair simply will not grow past about shoulder length. Drives me nuts! I let it go uncut for about 2 years (yes, it was a mess), and it still didn't get much past shoulder length.

Here are some articles we've written about hair growth.

You are beautiful!
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #83

I started growing my shoulder length 3a/3b hair when I joined here 2 1/2 years ago. It is now at waist length and when the curl is stretched out it is nearing hip. It is also now almost totally gray.

Gretchen likes this.

anonymous_22139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #84

Gorgeous, kitschy!!
My hair was finally getting some nice length to it and then I got in a mood and chopped about 4 inches off. So now it's at just below shoulder length when dry. Yuk. Oh well, it will grow again.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, Ojon Restorative Treatment, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
jeepcurlygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #85

Jeepy, I'm to that stage where the length is weighing out the curls. I'll probably maintain somewhere around waist length, but my curls are much better at mid-back or bra strap length. It's always an inner battle for me between length or curl.

anonymous_22139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #86

kitschy,
We seem to have very similar hair, but mine has been irksome lately. It's not as curly and won't clump up or hold it's shape. I thought maybe it was wind and sun damage so I just chopped it off. Nope, that wasn't it. hahahaha. So now it's at my most hated length. But by spring it will be better so I'm cool with it.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, Ojon Restorative Treatment, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
jeepcurlygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:57 AM   #87

A few weeks ago we stopped at an estate sale. The real estate lady who was running the sale said to me, "Thank you for being over thirty-five and having long hair."

She was probably in her late forties (maybe fifty) and said that her sisters kept hassling her about cutting her hair. It didn't look real long to me, but it was in a pony tail so it was hard to tell.

Anyway, I liked her comment.
Gretchen and KurlyKae like this.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #88

I will want longer hair as I get older because of my health. I am not going to want to fool around with my hair too much because I have arthirtis in my hands and my knees, along with a slip disk in my back. If I have longer hair, long enough to put into a ponytail, or have one single braid I will be happy.
Sexychocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #89

I am keeping mine long. I look younger then 56 with it long. Will you keep longer hair as you get older?-dscn1530.jpg
Wiregirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #90

I cut mine this fall from just below shoulder length. For me I felt it took about 10 years off me (I turned 50 this past spring). I think I just do not have the right hair/face shape for longish hair.

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
xcptnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #91

jeep and kitschy your hair is fabulous! i think the issue is not menopause so much as the gray. my gray is less curly than my colored hair or acts differently. i am using gel again and that helps. yes folks i am 62 and my hair is somewhere around BSL or longer....being a shrink its ok, long gray curly hair is par for the course. no corporate hair or clothing worn here....
jeepcurlygurl and Kitschy like this.
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
banjocurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #92

Send a message via AIM to Poochie
Cool

I have no plans to cut mine. For those of you trying to grow out... I was convinced that my hair wouldn't get any longer than BSL, that it had a genetic maximum length and then fell out. Seems it had stayed at that length for five or six years, with just a "dusting" of split ends when I saw them. Then I broke up with my boyfriend and started pineappling at night (too vain to do it before) and more than a year later, people are saying "Your hair's grown really long!" I figure it must be the pineappling, since everything else I was doing before... satin pillowcase, air drying, oil on the ends. Unless it's reduced stress? Anyway, I work in an artsy field so nobody thinks twice about long, curly, blue or whatever hair regardless of your age or gender.
Poochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #93

Send a message via Yahoo to redcelticcurls

I cut mine because I was tired of having straight roots. It's nice to have my root curl back.

I may get tired of it short and grow it back out again, but I think I'll keep this length for a bit.

If I ever get age related thinning, I'd probably go shorter. A thinning scalp does seem to show more on longer hair.

I think age rules for hair length are silly, though. If you like it, wear it.

Siri types my posts for me.
diaspora likes this.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
redcelticcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #94

I had really long hair last summer and then I hurt my back and had to have surgery. I couldn't take care of it down past my shoulders, so I had it cut above the shoulders. I liked it so much that I went even shorter a couple of weeks ago! My hair is really fine and thin and it looks so much thicker when it's short and apparenty it really suits my face because people keep telling me how much younger I look with short hair!

My hair was pretty when it was long, but it wasn't as curly because the weight straightens it out. I know it sounds backwards, but I have "bigger" hair now that I have less than half of the length I had. And I love my hair big!!!!!!!
goldencurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #95

You ladies who are trying to grow their hair out, don't forget to take a daily multivitamin. My hair grows really fast when I take these.
Cyanbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #96

My hair is about an inch above BSL at the moment and I feel my most comfortable with it at this length, so for as long as it continues to look decent, I'll keep it that way for as long as possible.
pixie likes this.
Texture : Fine/medium (I think!)
Co-wash/rinse out/leave in : L'oreal Full Restore 5, GFR&S, Schwarzkopf Bio Pomegranite
Gels : Umberto Giannini Flirty Curls Scrunching Jelly
Finish product : Boots Naked Style Frizz Fighter Serum or a pea-sized blob of condish smoothed over canopy
CG since Feb 2011
proudcurlygirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #97

Red face Yessssss

I will definitely keep mine long....And grow it longer ...
I love long hair
cinnycinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #98

I've been growing mine for 18mths now and it is nearly bsl. I definitely will be growing it longer if I can. But now and then I think shall I go a bit shorter and have some long layers to see if this will make it wavier
RO Tresemme Naturals, Yes to cucumbers, Yes to tomatoes
LI TN
Stylers BRHG, Volumax Mega gel
Trying Homemade Okra gel and FSG
pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Trending Topics[-]hide