Will you keep longer hair as you get older?

Like Tree8Likes

Speckla
My hair will be getting longer as I get older!
yes, absolutely.
My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
Long, or long-ish. Nothing extravagant, but not short.

My face needs the help.
Hard to say. I'm not ready to cut it short, but who knows when I might change my mind.
shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
Definitely, but I may wear it up more. I love long hair.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
Yep...almost 50 and still like it long. My mom is 88 and has long hair.
PJ Rehab 9/2011
Mine's got too thin to wear long any more but I'll never go short short - it'll always be long enough to put up.
3b in South Australia.
I look better with below-shoulder length hair. I want to grow it about 3 "visual"more inches maybe 4.

As long as I can wear it long (mine is thinning, too), I will!
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!
http://public.fotki.com/MirCurls/

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
I'm 48 and have been growing my hair for the past few years. It's now almost shoulder length. I'd like it to be a few more inches and then I'll keep it that length. It's more about being practical for my lifestyle than my age. I'm into gardening and yoga so I need hair that can be easily pulled back out of the way and still look okay when I take off a hat. That means longer is better!
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Speckla
I'm past BLS when curly and brushing waist when pulled straight. I love long hair and really see no reason to cut as we get older. I started this thread to get some opinions. A lady at work was saying she'd like to grow her hair long but she thinks she's too old (41!!). I said that you're never too old for long hair.
How long is long? I'm above shoulder length but still consider my hair "longish," and I've been going longer rather than shorter over time.

I think that women tend to go shorter with age because:
a) their hair thins too much and doesn't look as good long, or
b) long hair drags their face down too much, making them look drawn/tired (less of an issue with curlies, who have more volume on the sides), or
c) they think short hair looks more authoritative and professional.

I hope to avoid a and b, and I just say no to c.
springlily likes this.

Wurly and proud!
Modified CG since 2008.
I'm past BLS when curly and brushing waist when pulled straight. I love long hair and really see no reason to cut as we get older. I started this thread to get some opinions. A lady at work was saying she'd like to grow her hair long but she thinks she's too old (41!!). I said that you're never too old for long hair.
Originally Posted by Speckla
I wish I could grow mine that long. It grows very slow and the ends get too thin. Mine is about 4" below my shoulders, when straight. That's about as long as I can get it without too much thinning. I'm really wanting extensions to get another 4 or more inches. I have a friend who has them and has had them for about 18 months. The upkeep is expensive (she can afford it) plus I worry about damage. She says her hair is healthier doing it. IDK. She is one of those people who feel long hair isn't for older women, so her hair just touches her shoulders. Even at that length her hair is too thin without the extensions.

I feel I'm rocking long hair at 59. The other day I wore my hair straight and the bottom portion started to get frizzy. I pinned it up and it actually looked good. My hair looked to be a little longer than chin length. I've grown out my bangs, so I did a side part. It would be a lot of work if I wore my hair this way everyday, since it's curly, plus I think I would get bored with the look.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
I love longer hair, but I will probably just keep mine between shoulder and APL when it's dry/curly. I like the ease of pulling it back into a pony, headband, or updo when I have it at that length.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
In my young days I used to keep my hair at waist length, but it's just too much of a PITA for me to do that anymore...too many knots to comb out and I just don't want to deal with it...so I keep it just past my shoulders, with lots of layers to keep it fuller around my face. It still has the appearance of long hair without actually being really long. I love longer hair on older women, as long as it has some style and movement to it. Some women get dragged down by yards of hair, but there are so many choices other than very-long and very-short. I swore I'd never do one of those old-lady-bubble-hairdos like my mother has.
Yep...almost 50 and still like it long. My mom is 88 and has long hair.
Originally Posted by twirlygranny
Same here with the exception that my mother is 82. Longer hair for me is shoulder length.
Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
BC: 01/30/09
Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/
I don't like my hair any shorter then shoulder length so I plan to keep mine long too. It would be cool to grow it to waist length, but I don't think it can get that long. BSL (28") seems to be terminal length for me
Medium-fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity, Thick Density
Co-wash: Renpure Body&Shine
RO: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
LI/Curl Enhancer: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
Other: I'll add a little AG Mousse Gel if I want something extra.
I got mine cut short a few years ago and I just look better with it short, even my husband prefers it short. Longer was just pulling down my features. I used to be pretty and as I got closer and closer to 50 I knew I looked not very good, but didn't know why. My skin still was in decent shape and I have never been more than a few pounds overweight. I went for a consultation with a hairstylist recommended on this site, she cut my hair short and the first thing hubby said when I got home is "You look cute". And I did. I got very positive reactions at work the next day and when my friends that I see only once in a while saw me they all seemed to love it. I think it just depends on the person.
I'm with sdc. I didn't look that good with longer hair when I was younger, and now it definitely doesn't work for me. I tried making a statement about not giving in to getting older by growing my hair a little longer. The longer it got, the older and more tired I looked.
I've been 'older' for awhile now and still wear my hair longish. I'll wear it however I feel like wearing it, long or short, regardless of what society thinks is 'right' for us old folks. : )
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
I'll keep it about what it is now or shorter. I don't find hair past waist length to be attractive, so I won't go past that.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Trending Topics