Feeling 50

I'll be 50 soon and feel fabulous about it.

Now, it may go down hill from here but really at 50 - I am greatful to have a full life surrounded with great people - including my new friends here.

To me, life doesn't get any better then this.

I read so much about the downfalls of turning 50 but have any of you felt the same and look/looked forward to it?

50 was one of my favorite years of my whole life. Nothing fantastic happened or anything like that. I just felt great for some reason. I'm very happy with my 50's. They've been complicated and there have been adjustments to be made, but all in all it's a great decade.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
50 was one of my favorite years of my whole life. Nothing fantastic happened or anything like that. I just felt great for some reason. I'm very happy with my 50's. They've been complicated and there have been adjustments to be made, but all in all it's a great decade.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
Well, it's nice to know I'm not alone in this crazy notion that life isn't so bad at 50.

You, Jeepcurlygurl have a wonderful spirit about yourself - I hope I can rock my 50's at least half as well as you do. Thanks for the reassurance!

I'll be there in a few months and am looking forward to it. Hope that it will be just as fun as my 40s have been.
Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
BC: 01/30/09
Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/
I'm 65 (yikes I can't believe it!). I enjoyed my 50s better than my 40s. I was scared about menopause but breezed through it and I'm delighted not to have periods anymore.

Really, 50s are probably like 30s - 40's were years ago. I hate exercising, but I think it is the fountain of youth if you can stand to do some. Just a good really brisk walk 4-5 times a week will reap benefits. I'm not a crazy exerciser and I very often don't eat the "right" foods, but I recommend staying physically active to stay youthful. Enjoy
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
WOW Curly Pearl - you Ďsoundí younger and spunkier then 65 - good for you!

My 40ís were very busy - I switched careers and dedicated years to establish myself, I bought a big old Victorian house for the reason to restore and as much fun as it's been - it's an ongoing project and also my 40ís were spent Ďgoing throughí the change...early.

Before that my 30's were spent in the workforce and continued education to gain some sort of direction to financial independency. It worked well as in another 10 years I plan to retire and travel without money worries.

Now, coming in my 50's, my life is still busy but Iíve come to grips to handling it better and now able to sit back and take it all in with ease.

Also, is the fact of enjoyment of no more periods and Iíve now gotten to enjoy intimacy as I never have before. Iím single and lucky enough to have some fabulous men come into my life to enjoy it with. As for health, sure I have some new old age aches & pains but make effort to combat them with exercise (yoga & meditation) and Ďtryingí to eat right but I donít stress about it. The man Iím currently dating is 62 and just came in 3rd in a marathon so itís proven old age does not always mean a total decline of health and mobility.

Another thing is - in the last years I removed the toxic people from my life (including some family) and now enjoy the positive ones - that alone makes a big difference.

It seems 50 has sprung me a renewed self confidence and it sure does feel good.

Last edited by SilverCurls; 09-24-2010 at 08:18 AM.
I'm 48 and have LOVED the 40s.... I anticipate the 50s being even better from what i've read of women who have been there!
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
Wow! You sound like you're having a great life, Silvercurls. More power to you (and all of us!)

I'm very lucky - I'm told I look 50 - I don't believe that but I've inherited good genes for looking well.

Everyone - have a great day!!!!
Protein sensitive
Every day is a gift
Wow! You sound like you're having a great life, Silvercurls. More power to you (and all of us!)

I'm very lucky - I'm told I look 50 - I don't believe that but I've inherited good genes for looking well.

Everyone - have a great day!!!!
Originally Posted by curlypearl
You have a great spirit, Silvercurls, so I'm sure turning 50 will be fabulous for you. I'm a relative youngun' at 41 and I feel fabulous. People who don't know me swear I don't look older than 30. Honestly, every age past 29 has been good for me. That's not to say that I haven't had challenges or hard times, but I have the wisdom and the maturity now to know that they aren't the end of the world. I don't fear approaching 50 and I anticipate that my 50's will be as good or better than my 30's or 40's.
Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
BC'd: 9/18/09
Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
Thanks LadyV!

Last edited by SilverCurls; 09-24-2010 at 09:40 PM.
50 was great, but 4 days after i turned 51 i broke my ankle, then the other ankle 10 months later. so 51 sucked but the rest of the 50s were just fine. 60 has been a great year too..i just hope 61 does not do what 51 did to me...curlypearl can we see some pics of you please??? you sound wonderful
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
Its so weird... until this thread I always assumed Curlypearl was younger than me. From the 'feel' of the interaction we had had I assumed early 30s....
isnt perception such an interesting thing...?
My Photobucket Album
Speckla
Be weary of CurlyPearl. She's in cathoots with my cat and will leave songs on your answering machine. I think she's a teenage free spirit in a middleage body.
I agree, Speckla, & I don't trust people who don't post pics. You know I love you CP.

My 40's were fabulous! I was newly divorced and free. I didn't mind turning 50 and was doing alright with menopause when I turned 52. At 55 it was like all my energy and sex drive left me. At 59 and an injured back, I'm dreading my 60's. I hope I can turn this around. I want to feel 40 again.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
50 was great, but 4 days after i turned 51 i broke my ankle, then the other ankle 10 months later. so 51 sucked but the rest of the 50s were just fine. 60 has been a great year too..i just hope 61 does not do what 51 did to me...curlypearl can we see some pics of you please??? you sound wonderful
Originally Posted by banjocurl
Be weary of CurlyPearl. She's in cathoots with my cat and will leave songs on your answering machine. I think she's a teenage free spirit in a middleage body.
Originally Posted by Speckla
I agree, Speckla, & I don't trust people who don't post pics. You know I love you CP.

My 40's were fabulous! I was newly divorced and free. I didn't mind turning 50 and was doing alright with menopause when I turned 52. At 55 it was like all my energy and sex drive left me. At 59 and an injured back, I'm dreading my 60's. I hope I can turn this around. I want to feel 40 again.
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves
Awww, I'm very flattered but the problem is I don't know how to post pics. I have a cell phone and I know how to take pics but not how to post them. Maybe I'll ask a friend to show me.
Protein sensitive
Every day is a gift
Yeah, but I have PMd with you pearl... you do NOT come across as someone my age no less older! You have a very young energy attitude and spirit!!
My Photobucket Album
I'm 65 (yikes I can't believe it!). I enjoyed my 50s better than my 40s. I was scared about menopause but breezed through it and I'm delighted not to have periods anymore.

Really, 50s are probably like 30s - 40's were years ago. I hate exercising, but I think it is the fountain of youth if you can stand to do some. Just a good really brisk walk 4-5 times a week will reap benefits. I'm not a crazy exerciser and I very often don't eat the "right" foods, but I recommend staying physically active to stay youthful. Enjoy
Originally Posted by curlypearl
I didn't think the 50's were bad. They say 50 is the new 40, so enjoy!!

I will be 60 at the end of Oct. Yikes. . . what does this hold for me? Am having a hard time wrapping my arms around the idea that my age will start with a 6 and not a 5. . . not that I feel older and am really dreading it. Just can't believe it.
3b/c
I will be 50 in a little over a year, and it's hard for me to figure out where I fit. I was at a wedding last week with a bunch of much younger (mid-20s to mid-30s) relatives, and I know I don't fit in with them. (When you're over a certain age, you get "the look" if you try to dance in public. lol) On the other hand, I don't fit in with empty nesters, either. I guess that's what I get for having kids later than a lot of people.
I will be 50 in a little over a year, and it's hard for me to figure out where I fit. I was at a wedding last week with a bunch of much younger (mid-20s to mid-30s) relatives, and I know I don't fit in with them. (When you're over a certain age, you get "the look" if you try to dance in public. lol) On the other hand, I don't fit in with empty nesters, either. I guess that's what I get for having kids later than a lot of people.
Originally Posted by Verity
Verity, are your kids in school yet? I find there are old moms and young moms when you take 'em to school or gym or dance or whatever. Unless you had them in your 50s you will certainly find parents the same age as you.

I only hope I feel as good at 50! Definitely better in early 40s than late 30s, so maybe it will be OK.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
Yea, I have a couple of friends who are about my age and have kids about the same ages as mine. (Mine are 16, 12 and 9.) It's just a little weird to be hanging around the elementary school at my age.

Trending Topics