Aging in Hollywood

Yesterday my husband and I caught a preview of the topic for Oprah's show today. It had to do with women and aging in Hollywood. Her guests were going to be Terry Hatcher, Linda Evans and Cybil Sheperd.

First of all, Terry looks good for 47.

Second, Linda looks awful, but I think most of it has to do with her not knowing when to stop with the plastic surgery.

Third, and then there's Cybil. She is 60 which I will be in 4 weeks. My husband said she doesn't look too bad, just needed to lose a little weight (as do many of us at that age). I commented that I don't think she has changed her hairstyle in years and her makeup did nothing for her. Then. . . he made me feel wonderful. . . he said "you know she's the same age as you and you don't look as old as her"!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!

Must be I am aging pretty darn good.
3b/c
Hooray for your husband for recognizing real beauty. For the record, mine says the same thing. One of the reasons I've kept him for this long.
What a WONDERFUL day!!
I'm sure you are beautiful and very lucky to have a man who appreciates it.

I can't imagine how hard it would to be in the spotlight and aging. Everyone expects so much from celebrities. I think that's why some get so overdone. I love Betty White.

ETA: No offense, but it bothers me when someone says a woman "looks good for her age." When I hear that about myself I have a hard time taking it as a compliment. It's a little like someone paying you a compliment and slapping you in the face at the same time. Why can't we just say they look good.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."

Last edited by Lotsawaves; 09-30-2010 at 06:44 PM.
I'm sure you are beautiful and very lucky to have a man who appreciates it.

I can't imagine how hard it would to be in the spotlight and aging. Everyone expects so much from celebrities. I think that's why some get so overdone. I love Betty White.

ETA: No offense, but it bothers me when someone says a woman "looks good for her age." When I hear that about myself I have a hard time taking it as a compliment. It's a little like someone paying you a compliment and slapping you in the face at the same time. Why can't we just say they look good.
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves
I feel the same way. Besides when you see aging celebrities you think of them 'back then' and not the fact that years have passed. Sadly, Cybils facework has her not looking 60 nor does she look 30 - it just looks fake. But in Hollywood a 60 yr old looking like a fake 30 works. It's not real life.

Last edited by SilverCurls; 10-01-2010 at 02:51 PM.
There is aging in Hollywood? It seems that is not allowed in this day and age. I think most women in Hollywood look terrible. Way too thin, way too much botox and surgery.
I noticed on the new season of many of my shows, the women look very different just since last year (Modern Family and Cougar Town for example). They can barely talk with their botoxed upper lips. All the women on Desperate Housewives look plastic and frozen. These are all young women who were beautiful all on their own. I personally think it's a shame that people (especially women) feel they can't age naturally.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
I saw Oprah yesterday and what really bothers me is that Terri Hatcher says that she had no work done and I think she has and is not being honest. I know a plastic surgeon who actually specifically stated all the things she had done. He could be wrong but I don't think so. Why do celebrities deny that they had any work done? Maybe she had collagen injections but not botox so she didn't exactly lie? In the end, it sets up a false expectation of what a 46 year old (or whatever the celebs age) is are supposed to look like if they naturally age.
I saw Oprah yesterday and what really bothers me is that Terri Hatcher says that she had no work done and I think she has and is not being honest. I know a plastic surgeon who actually specifically stated all the things she had done. He could be wrong but I don't think so. Why do celebrities deny that they had any work done? Maybe she had collagen injections but not botox so she didn't exactly lie? In the end, it sets up a false expectation of what a 46 year old (or whatever the celebs age) is are supposed to look like if they naturally age.
Originally Posted by Curlswirl

I think I believe her, a lot of makeup and a great stylist can make someone look a lot different. There are some no-makeup pics she posted here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...lers-past.html

Overall, really I just hope that women's aging gets as accepted as men's; how men who are good looking are sometimes seen as MORE hot as they get older? Not because they actually look better, but because they have more character and depth and we see this as sexy. I want that for women.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
Terri was not barefaced in her photos. She definitely had on, at least, eye makeup.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
Terri was not barefaced in her photos. She definitely had on, at least, eye makeup.

I think she has maybe tattooed eyeliner and eyelash extensions, not necessarily makeup.
Botox does wear off. Just because she had a few wrinkles that day, doesn't mean she didn't shoot her face full of botulism the next week. Her face doesn't move on Desperate. Neither do the faces of any of the other actresses. They are all having 'something done', whether they admit it or not.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
I agree with you here.
IMO, it's getting way out of hand when even young celebrities are getting Botox, etc. in order to avoid "aging" signs - and yet, some casting directors are having to turn away some young actresses because they now have frozen faces, making them not able to express the emotions needed in acting. The fact that even young women are doing this is an example of just how high the pressure is, the same way it is to be way too thin for one's individual body type. Sure, there are people who are naturally quite thin, and those who are slim because they watch their diet reasonably and exercise, but it's another thing altogether when people just spiral right into eating disorders to attain 2 sizes smaller than would actually look good on them because of their body type/bone structure. A naturally curvy(NOT overweight, as the word curvy has gotten to be a euphemism for, but having actual curves to the body, like hips, a round butt, and breasts)woman is NEVER going to look like a rail unless she goes way too far with her diet etc, thereby endangering her health. Look up "Size 0 Diet" on YouTube and you'll see what I mean - a real eye-opener.
Almost to a person though, it seems to be standard practice to NOT own up to having any work done, chalking it up to "lots of yoga, water, and good diet". While all those DO help in a positive way for one's health and a vibrant healthy appearance, they do NOT give the look that is so prevalent amongst those who've had a lot of work done. It used to be that an actor or actress would be fairly discreet about the type of work, meaning that it wouldn't be excessive, and they indeed would look fresher but still like themselves it seems. Now it's just this blown-up look that is so easy to overdo.
Last but certainly not least, the double standard about aging is alive and well - women are still disrespected if they don't do all this stuff if they're in the public eye, while men get more of a pass(not to say that some men also don't have some work done too). And women NEVER get a pass even if they're only a few pounds overweight, while men do. As I read somewhere not that long ago, which is pretty depressing, the standard of beauty is increasingly becoming surgical/procedures-oriented, raising the bar to unattainable heights for many. It used to be that good skin care, diet and health practices were enough, but evidently not so anymore. So glad I'm not in the rat race plus I'm so not in the market for any of this surgical/procedures type of stuff anyway.
Just to follow up from my other note here, this past weekend I got to see the supreme antidote to all this stuff - Patti Smith live at the Golden Gate Park as part of the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival that a local zillionaire puts on as his gift to the city each year, attracting hundreds of thousands of people over the three days. Anyhow, Patti Smith blows all of this stuff out of the water - even with a couple of inches of grey roots showing in her long hair, and an angular face touched by time but not by needles, she remains raw, real, fiercely beautiful, her intensity undiminished by time. Attending her strong performance was a transcendent experience for yours truly and the many who were in that meadow. Love live Patti - I've been a fan of hers forever, and had her two early records in the 70s when I was living in NYC!
I wanted to recommend two incredible books to any women here struggling with issues around feeling pressure not to age or pressure by society/media to be more attractive.

Toni Raiten-D'Antonio's books will help change your perspective and lead you on a path to healing.

I recommend her books The Velveteen Principles for Women and her new book Ugly as Sin: The Truth About How We Look and Finding Freedom From Self-Hatred.
Banned
Hooray for your husband for recognizing real beauty. For the record, mine says the same thing. One of the reasons I've kept him for this long.
Originally Posted by reeni

Absolutely!
Love it...
The pressure is everywhere, though. Even in this forum, so many people proclaim that they don't look their age. It seems that everyone thinks it's unacceptable to look one's age, or at least that it's desirable not to look one's age. There is a lot of pressure to use hair color and spend oodles of money on cosmetics that probably don't help anyway.
It is a horrible scene, no question.... but that's why I'm pleasantly surprised that there are so many Hollywood women in their 40's and 50's (and beyond) who -- in my opinion -- look great, and who also don't look like they've had tons of work done.

Glenn Close, Meryl Streep, Susan Sarandon, Julianne Moore, Annabeth Gish, Katey Sagal, Edie Falco, Laura Linney..... they all look AWESOME. And -- to me at least -- not overly "done."

I'm not naive, though. I'll bet most of them have had some work done.

Wurly and proud!
Modified CG since 2008.

Last edited by wavycurly40+; 10-06-2010 at 07:25 PM.
They may have had a little work done, but weren't trying to look like they were in their 20's or 30's. I think that is when they screw up and look ridiculous.

Yesterday, when I was coming home I saw a woman walking her dog. From a distance she looked like a woman in her 60's. As I got closer and saw her face I was really surprised. Her face looked so young, yet "done." She was very, very attractive, but I feel if you're going to have the face done you need to have a body to match it.

I know celebs and others have had body work done, but it's also about the posture and the way you carry yourself. At my office we have a 73 year old woman, who hasn't had work done, but looks amazing. She is tall, thin, and has the best posture. Her makeup is always perfect, but never overdone. She dresses beautifully, but age appropriate. She is my idol.
From Michael Berg:

"I know celebs and others have had body work done, but it's also about the posture and the way you carry yourself. At my office we have a 73 year old woman, who hasn't had work done, but looks amazing. She is tall, thin, and has the best posture. Her makeup is always perfect, but never overdone. She dresses beautifully, but age appropriate. She is my idol" - Lotsawaves

Right on! There are more women like that than one would think, if one looks around one, instead of the hothouse atmosphere on TV, magazines etc. That lady sounds very elegant! Actually, not all that long ago, I was reading that posture trumps a lot of other stuff as far as looking great as we age, even procedures, hair color, right clothes, etc. If one pays attention to one's physical fitness with certain disciplines(dance, yoga and Pilates as prime examples)one's posture remains distinguished and erect, different from the leaning over that one sees even in people in their 50s that ages them unnecessarily. How one carries oneself is more powerful(or not)than many people think, while they're focusing on all this other stuff. A distinguished-looking woman trumps all these artificial "bobble-heads" any day of the week, in my book.

I think she has maybe tattooed eyeliner and eyelash extensions, not necessarily makeup.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
Yes, that is definitely makeup. It's called permanent cosmetics.

We have women feeling that they aren't looking good enough because magazines are airbrushing all the flaws off and now we have someone who is saying she is barefaced at 47. I wish she could have just been honest and said "yes, I have permanent cosmetics and eyelash extensions AND I'm wearing waterproof mascara."
From Michael Berg:

Trending Topics