Fitting Room Mirrors at Malls

The other day I went into the fitting room to try something on and I barely recognized myself. Is the lighting that bad in these rooms or is it that I am in my late 40s? At home I have full spectrum lighting so maybe I am kidding myself there but I think they would sell more items if they improved the lighting in fitting rooms.

Has anyone else here been shocked by their reflection in a fitting room mirror?
The other day I went into the fitting room to try something on and I barely recognized myself. Is the lighting that bad in these rooms or is it that I am in my late 40s? At home I have full spectrum lighting so maybe I am kidding myself there but I think they would sell more items if they improved the lighting in fitting rooms.

Has anyone else here been shocked by their reflection in a fitting room mirror?
Originally Posted by Curlswirl
i agree that the lighting in most fitting rooms is awful. look at yourself in the car rear mirror, you are outside and that is as true as it gets! you are right, they would sell more clothes if they improved the lighting.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
I totally agree. In fact I often avoid trying things on in stores. I buy it, try it on at home and return it if it doesn't fit. Not at all efficient, but it works for me!!
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I've noticed that the lighting in fitting rooms is not great, but I haven't yet been horrified by it. Maybe this is because nothing is worse than the lighting in the bathrooms at my workplace, though. Every time I go in there, I get depressed.

Either that, or I hate working so much, I just look like total crap the entire time I'm there.

Flattering lighting is a basic human right! Maybe I should bring it up with the workplace committee that deals with working conditions......

Wurly and proud!
Modified CG since 2008.
My secret is I don't look at myself in fitting room mirrors at all unless fully clothed and even then I only look at how the clothes are working out. No peering at face, hair, etc. I might check to see how my makeup is doing, but that's it.

I remember a while back a friend and I went shopping. We were both young [20s] and fit, and she even did some modeling back then. We both looked like absolute crap in those mirrors — all of our flaws were magnified, cellulite, weird distortions, etc. You can bet if we looked bad under those circumstances, it's totally the fault of mirrors and lighting. They are not to be trusted!

It has always mystified me why retailers haven't caught on to this yet and provided us with at least realistic representations of ourselves. In fact, I would have expected them to introduce overly-flattering lighting and mirrors by now. But no.

ETA: I should say, the more expensive shops do a slightly better job at this. You're going to get better lighting at Nordstrom than at Marshalls and better at Marshalls than Goodwill. But even the best lighting and mirrors suck compared to what I have at home.

Last edited by wild~hair; 11-01-2010 at 08:29 PM.
i avoid malls like the plague. campmor and EMS are not too bad, and outdoor craft fairs are fine--this is where i buy my dresses
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
One word - Dreadful!
You'd think they'd get wise and put in mirrors and lighting that was better, so we'd be more likely to buy, seriously! I'm sure countless women have left dressing rooms hot, frustrated and empty-handed because of this, and feeling bad about themselves to boot, even those who are in reasonably good shape like me. I pray for the ones who have more than a few pounds to lose with this! And the worst dressing rooms are the ones for swimsuits and lingerie. Even in good shape, as one other poster remarked, one still looks worse than one actually does. I guess one would have to be built like a stick not to look worse than one does LOL! For bra shopping these days I've moved up to Nordstrom's for a fitting, and I found a style that fits like a dream and takes 5 pounds at least off - a good bra that fits you right can do that, and make you look younger. For swimsuits, I refuse to go through the dressing room experience ever again - the last time I bought one(in 2003)I ordered it from Newport News and lucked out with the fit, so I didn't have to return it. Much better!
Another tactic I take is to focus on the item of clothing only, and also when fully clothed.
One word - Dreadful!
You'd think they'd get wise and put in mirrors and lighting that was better, so we'd be more likely to buy, seriously! I'm sure countless women have left dressing rooms hot, frustrated and empty-handed because of this, and feeling bad about themselves to boot, even those who are in reasonably good shape like me. I pray for the ones who have more than a few pounds to lose with this! And the worst dressing rooms are the ones for swimsuits and lingerie. Even in good shape, as one other poster remarked, one still looks worse than one actually does. I guess one would have to be built like a stick not to look worse than one does LOL! For bra shopping these days I've moved up to Nordstrom's for a fitting, and I found a style that fits like a dream and takes 5 pounds at least off - a good bra that fits you right can do that, and make you look younger. For swimsuits, I refuse to go through the dressing room experience ever again - the last time I bought one(in 2003)I ordered it from Newport News and lucked out with the fit, so I didn't have to return it. Much better!
Another tactic I take is to focus on the item of clothing only, and also when fully clothed.
Originally Posted by caramix3a
off topic, i agree with you about the bra shopping. i went to saks for a fitting, bra, and what a huge difference! my daughter also goes to nordstroms for fitting/bras. we both said we'd never blindly shop for bras again!
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
I agree those mirrors are horrible. They have the same kind of mirrors here at work in the bathrooms, we call them funhouse mirrors. There's good lighting so you can actually see the imperfections in the mirrors, it's ridiculous.
Southern Colorado Curly
Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
I'll start another thread about bras since I did mention them in my fitting room post and someone else picked up on it.

Trending Topics