Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Over 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl View Post
I WISH I could blame things on meno/perimeno but my body seems in no rush to start any of that. I'm pretty flippin sick of having periods every 2-3 weeks.
So I just blame everything on men. : )
Right there with you. I read recently that periods are most regular AND close together in 40s because your body is trying to get pregnant before it closes shop (paraphrasing, obviously). So it wants to ovulate more often. I have been in this 23 day cycle which is basically bleed-for-a-week then off for two weeks, then bleed for a week....

But actually, I was blaming it on perimenopause, LOL. No kidding. Because I think this IS one of the changes related to the end of the cycles, using up all the eggs at the end or something. Which yes I understand can go on for like fifteen years, but still...

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
Robin-in-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeechick View Post
Well I am reading this because I CANNOT SLEEP.

After 2 years of irregular periods and night sweats I went symptom ADN PERIOD free for 7 months. I thought I was home free. The 2 months ago I got a period (well more of a semi colon but....) Since then....

Had my first night sweat again 2 nights ago. And am all broken out. Am losing handfuls of hair....

PS. I gained 10 lbs the past year - after being the same weight my entire adult life.

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?? Am seriously considering HRT... I read that if you start it prior to 50 and stay on it less than 5 years the risk are minimal and can even be beneficial....

On the bright side, Rudee, your hair is looking really fabulous!
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #23

I get occasional hot flashes, my sleep is interrupted sometimes, and my periods have become like business taxes...something I only get quarterly. I'm really trying not to let menopause turn me into a cranky old lady. I refuse to complain, blame, or, most especially, I refuse to moan and sigh (god, I can't stand all the old ladies at the gym who moan and grunt and sigh all the time). These things are minor nuisances, nothing more. I'm aging...there's nothing I can do about it...but it sure beats the alternative. My best friend didn't live to see menopause, so I'm going to do my best to live life for both of us. I intend to really enjoy living...until I die.
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl View Post
I WISH I could blame things on meno/perimeno but my body seems in no rush to start any of that. I'm pretty flippin sick of having periods every 2-3 weeks.
So I just blame everything on men. : )
Right there with you. I read recently that periods are most regular AND close together in 40s because your body is trying to get pregnant before it closes shop (paraphrasing, obviously). So it wants to ovulate more often. I have been in this 23 day cycle which is basically bleed-for-a-week then off for two weeks, then bleed for a week....
Yep, I'm on the same cycle you are. Fun stuff. I'll be one of those old ladies in her 70's who gets pregnant. And then I'll shoot myself. : )
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, Ojon Restorative Treatment, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
jeepcurlygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcptnl View Post
rudee I was trying to block the weight thing out of head!
Sorry.... I cant look at myself
rudeechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves View Post
I get occasional hot flashes, my sleep is interrupted sometimes, and my periods have become like business taxes...something I only get quarterly. I'm really trying not to let menopause turn me into a cranky old lady. I refuse to complain, blame, or, most especially, I refuse to moan and sigh (god, I can't stand all the old ladies at the gym who moan and grunt and sigh all the time). These things are minor nuisances, nothing more. I'm aging...there's nothing I can do about it...but it sure beats the alternative. My best friend didn't live to see menopause, so I'm going to do my best to live life for both of us. I intend to really enjoy living...until I die.
I have done all my 'whining' in the 40 thread and some on the non-hair but in 'real' life I do not go into it. My friend-that is all she talks about-hot flashes, etc, what her doctor thinks, what she is going to try, etc etc etc.

I think your mind set is the perfect one and what a great tribute to your friend.

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
xcptnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves View Post
ETA: I've just recently started having the eye redness. It's worse in the mornings. CP, what eye ointment do you use. I was using an eye gel at night, but it didn't help. I've also tried Visine, but no results with that either. I'd really like to find something that works, becuz it's embarrassing.

The eye redness is probably from the Latisse you are using. I have that too. A little of the long-acting Visine works great to make them not red.
Responding to the bolded - what eye ointment I use, I use Systane eye ointment at night and Refresh Optive for Sensitive eye drops during the day. The drops are individual and don't therefore contain preservatives which can be irritating.

Both of these were recommended by my ophthalmologist and received excellent ratings on the web. I had tried eye drop brands before - not as good although the Bausch and Lomb eye ointment was also as good as the Systane. You may need to try various brands to see which is best for you.

When my eyes were first very bad I used Restasis which is a prescription drop. I only needed it for about a month then switched to the Systane ointment and Refresh eye drops. Don't ignore red eyes - they are caused by dry eyes and you can end up with a permanent problem. It's not a joke.

Good luck everyone!
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Experimenting with cones & sulfates while the dews are high. Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
curlypearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #28

Ladies - it gets better! I gained weight, had trouble sleeping etc. Now I'm 65, weigh only 6 lbs more than before meno, no hot flashes or sweats, lots of energy, clear skin, bright eyes -

Of course I had a brain tumor - but it was unrelated. I feel great - you will too! Hang in there....
Stylers: Experimenting with cones & sulfates while the dews are high. Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
Old 11-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlypearl View Post
Ladies - it gets better! I gained weight, had trouble sleeping etc. Now I'm 65, weigh only 6 lbs more than before meno, no hot flashes or sweats, lots of energy, clear skin, bright eyes -

Of course I had a brain tumor - but it was unrelated. I feel great - you will too! Hang in there....
Pearl you are a gem
Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #30

I'm hoping I can start blaming things on peri/menopause. I started a period yesterday only two weeks after the last one which is a bit of a worry for someone who has always been as regular as clockwork, not to say inconvenient. Am off to the doc on Thursday as I've other stuff going on atm too and I'm mightily sick of myself and my hopeless body. I just want to be where Curlypearl is
Old 11-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #31

Default Before the Change: Taking Charge of Your Perimenopause

by Ann Louise Gittleman

I just put a hold on this book at my library. I'm coming up to 42 and I've had some strange things going on for some months now. I hope I get some insight and practical advice going into p-meno. I think the second edition is the one to look for.

reviews on Amazon: tons of positive reviews

http://www.amazon.com/Before-Change-...owViewpoints=1
shoulder length inverted bob; fine; 3A-3B; med-thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; seems to hate moisturizing products and oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

receive $10 off 1st order of $40 & up, or $5 off on smaller orders, when using iHERB code: GIK909
Ondulee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeechick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlypearl View Post

Pearl you are a gem
Hi Rudeechick, I think of you often and hope all is going well! Thanks for the "bouquet." It made me happy.
Every day is a gift
Old 11-12-2010, 06:11 AM   #33

CP - thanks for the suggestion of restasis. I'll ask my eye doctor about it when I see him on Monday.

rudee - I'm sure hoping to avoid the weight gain problem. I finally lost 35 pounds last year and want to keep it off! But I figure if I do gain with peri, at least I'll be gaining from a lower initial weight...

And I don't think I'd ever do the synthetic HRT - there's too much history of breast cancer in my family - but I might look into the bio-identical hormones if the symptoms become over-whelming. So far, I tend to do much better on the days that I am able to do a nice meditation and yoga session....
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

2poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondulee View Post
by Ann Louise Gittleman

I just put a hold on this book at my library. I'm coming up to 42 and I've had some strange things going on for some months now. I hope I get some insight and practical advice going into p-meno. I think the second edition is the one to look for.

reviews on Amazon: tons of positive reviews

http://www.amazon.com/Before-Change-...owViewpoints=1
I have all her books and her recipe and excercise books, but not the one on menopause. When I adhere to her diet, I feel so much better and have no problem with weight gain. Have you gone to her forum? I haven't been there in a while.

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
Lotsawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #35

I was using Systane and Optive also when my ophthalmologist recommended that I use eye drops 2-3 times daily. I shoot for morning and night, but I keep a bottle in my office desk just in case. I switched to Similasan Dry Eye Relief drops a couple of years and love them. They are "homeopathic" and that lead me to try them. They are expensive for the size, but they work as well or better for me than the others I tried and I like that they are supposedly more natural.
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, coconut oil overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Terax Crema, Moroccan Oil Restorative Mask, Je Veux Revitalizing Mud Mask, Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix
Spiralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #36

I am 45...... symptom-free so far......and now speechless with dread. Waaah!

Ah, well; time for another glass of wine.

Hang in there, ladies. I'll watch this thread with interest......

Wurly and proud!
Modified CG since 2008.
wavycurly40+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:57 AM   #37

Hahah, wavycurly40+ -- You gotta be careful w/the wine, too. Apparently alcohol can increase symptoms, especially hot flashes and night sweats. Now that is really *not fair*
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Old 11-16-2010, 05:28 AM   #38

My Night Sweats Are Back Full Force After A Year Of None.

I Am Pissed.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:34 AM   #39

I've got my routine gyn appt tomorrow. I'm gonna ask her about bio-identical hormones. Curious to get a female MD's perspective. But if they won't help w/night sweats and hot flashes, I'll pass - at least for now.

I feel your pain, rudee -- And I'm not sure, but I think it's the interrupted sleep that bothers me the most. I really need my beauty rest!!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #40
rbb

when i was perimenopausal, menopausal, i took vitamin e gel caps (solaray brand, pearl caps, 400 iu twice a day -- one am, one in pm). i had read that vit e can stop nightsweats. i never had nightsweats, never had hot flashes, just occassionally at night i would feel warm, kick off the blanket, and be fine.
i once ran out of these vit e and bought a different type. not good results. about a week later i got the same ones again, and back to normal!
if you can hang in there, it is so worth getting through menopause, what a relief! i find i have more energy. of course, every woman is different, but for me, not having to worry about periods, tampons, pads.... was energizing all by itself!
washing/cowashing, conditioning, leave in, protein tx: curl junkie products. styling:curl junkie conditioners only at times, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. trying ufdcm. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!! sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
rbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Trending Topics[-]hide