I'm blaming everything on perimenopause...

curlymom - I've never heard of myomin. What is it?
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

The supplements annihilated my stomach yesterday. The first hours I felt like I was filled with gas and then I was queasy til bedtime. PLUS i had eaten prior to taking them....
Originally Posted by rudeechick
Maybe you need to introduce the supplements slowly, one at a time until your body adjusts? Or consider taking some at bedtime. I'm not a huge fan of some supplements since I also tend to get GI upset with them. Taking vitamins at night does help. - Course if you're up with night sweats, you might not have the benefit of sleeping through any supplement GI issues! Not sure there's any way to win...
Originally Posted by 2poodles
Going to do exactly that (the slow intro) But a few of them warn that taking them too close to bedtime might interfere with sleep as they tend to increase energy....
It is falling out in handfuls when I wash....Exactly like my post-partum hair loss with both pregnancies. And I lost about 50% of my hair each time... alttho it came back then....
But thanks
Originally Posted by rudeechick
Yikes! Definitely ask your doctor about hormones. My hair dropped like that after babies #2 and #4 but did NOT recover completely. Which made it much easier to style, actually, but bummed me out.

If hormones or supplements can smooth the sharp drops that make the night sweats, maybe this will smooth the sharp drops that cause the hair falling too.
Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL
I'm hoping so....
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
curlymom - I've never heard of myomin. What is it?
Originally Posted by 2poodles
It's a Chinese Herbal Supplement. I'd never heard of it before either, but I was/am desperate! It's a smaller local hfs and when he said they sell 2 cases a week, I couldn't believe it, I thought theres no was they'd sell that much consistently if it didn't do something so I bought it.

Here are some links on it, believe me I researched estrogen dominance and Myomin, and I'm cautiously optomistic:

http://www.energeticnutrition.com/vitalzym/myomin.html

http://www.chi-health.co.uk/p_myomin.htm

http://www.chi-health.co.uk/Myomin.pdf

http://theherbwoman.com/?p=247

http://iamchi.com/iamchi/Myomin.html
2c/3a/3b Fine/med texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
I've been having some awful symptoms as of late, exhaustion, but not being able to sleep, headaches, foggy thinking, memory loss, cramps, heavy periods, mood swings, etc. My poor family!

Anyway, I've been doing some research on estrogen dominance and I have all the symptoms. So I went to my local hfs and he told me about Myomin. He said it's their best selling product in the store and they go thru 2 cases a week! Needless to say I bought some, it's not cheap, $32 for about a months supply, but if it works I really don't care.

After getting home I did some research on it and it looks promising. I started yesterday and he said it could work in a couple of days or a couple of months, hopefully it will be the former, but I'll keep you all informed if you all want.
Originally Posted by CurlyMom
Have you had your thyroid checked recently?
by Ann Louise Gittleman

I just put a hold on this book at my library. I'm coming up to 42 and I've had some strange things going on for some months now. I hope I get some insight and practical advice going into p-meno. I think the second edition is the one to look for.

reviews on Amazon: tons of positive reviews

http://www.amazon.com/Before-Change-...owViewpoints=1
Originally Posted by Ondulee
I have all her books and her recipe and excercise books, but not the one on menopause. When I adhere to her diet, I feel so much better and have no problem with weight gain. Have you gone to her forum? I haven't been there in a while.
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves
I have her FatFlush book- original and I have just finished reading the "Taking Charge of Peri-menopause" one and the "Why Am I Always So Tired".

I go to the forum once in a while but often I forget.

It outlined a lot of things that I need to start adding to my regime as far as supplements. It was good to get the specifics though because there are so many vitamins and minerals that it's hard to know which ones are best for fighting off "female symptoms" as she puts it.

I'll go through both the books and make my notes of stuff to get. I'm not quite at Perimenopause just yet, but I want to start early with the nutrients so hopefully everything will go smoothly.

I currently take a supplement called Natures Way Femiprin which really is regulating my cycle very well. I have PCOS and have never ovulated on my own but this herb definitely is resetting everything. TMI, but at this moment I can feel things down there gearing up for something so I'm hoping I will finally ovulate. NOT ttc, but I would just like to have some regular cycles to 'refresh' things as it were.

One of the absolute best books I've read lately is called "The Magnesium Miracle" by Dr. Carolyn Dean, an MD and a Naturopathic phyician. She explains how magnesium is related to pretty much every function in the body and shows how people are severely deficient. Since I've been using the Magnesium Oil and Magnesium Gel (applied to the skin) in addition to my oral magnesium, a lot of my muscle tension, sleeplessness have resolved.

Here's a link to her website/blog if anyone is interested: http://drcarolyndean.com/

Just another comment on the red burning eyes. I've had that but it wasn't due to perimenopause.
I had red burning eyes years ago and could never soothe them. Then I found out I had ocular roseacea. Maybe go to your eye doctor and ask about that. My eyes were not only red and burning but also felt like there was something gritty in them all the time. When I cleared up my facial roseacea, my ocular roseacea cleared up too. If anyone wants to know how I cleared up my skin, you can PM me.
shoulder length inverted bob; fine; 3A-3B; med-thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; seems to hate moisturizing products and oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

receive $10 off 1st order of $40 & up, or $5 off on smaller orders, when using iHERB code: GIK909

Last edited by Ondulee; 11-19-2010 at 07:42 AM. Reason: added material
I've been having some awful symptoms as of late, exhaustion, but not being able to sleep, headaches, foggy thinking, memory loss, cramps, heavy periods, mood swings, etc. My poor family!

Anyway, I've been doing some research on estrogen dominance and I have all the symptoms. So I went to my local hfs and he told me about Myomin. He said it's their best selling product in the store and they go thru 2 cases a week! Needless to say I bought some, it's not cheap, $32 for about a months supply, but if it works I really don't care.

After getting home I did some research on it and it looks promising. I started yesterday and he said it could work in a couple of days or a couple of months, hopefully it will be the former, but I'll keep you all informed if you all want.
Originally Posted by CurlyMom
Have you had your thyroid checked recently?
Originally Posted by crwritt
Yup, thanks for asking!, and it's normal. But I agree there seem to be a lot of similarities between the estrogen dominance symptoms and thyroid issues symptoms. From what I've been reading all these symptoms seem to mirror each other when estrogen and progesterone are out of balance. So I'm thinking/hoping that might be it.
2c/3a/3b Fine/med texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
thanks!
if you do have to have it removed, can this be done laprioscopically? if so, that makes it so much easier. friends & family around me have been having all types of surgery done laproscopically and it is so very different, like day and night. hopefully, this will resolve on its own.
Originally Posted by rbb
I went to talk to a general surgeon yesterday about it and he surprised me by saying it could be done by lap, and depending on position, they would take out just the fibroid, then he told me to go visit my Gyno (who missed it on the ultrasound).
I see her next week.Maybe it will calm down by then.
Originally Posted by crwritt
I have no idea why, but after a whole month feeling sore and queasy, all of a sudden I feel better.
I still can't eat much, even though I'm hungry, about half what I'd consider "normal" for me.I woke up his morning and had lost another pound.
My perimenopause lasted for more than 7 years. I kicked the night sweats, forgetfulness, hot flashes, zero sex drive and waking up 3x a night to the curb with bio-identical hormones (which I still take). It was such a blessing to sleep through the night again.
Originally Posted by Suburbanbushbabe
I just made an appointment again to see someone about these. I chickened out last time. The problem is she is so booked I can't get in until April 5th. But I'm going to go this time. The estrogen cream I've been using really helps with the dryness, but hasn't helped as much with the libido lately as it seemed to in the beginning. Sleeping through the night is a real problem lately. I think a lot of that has to do with stress from work and that won't last forever, but I still would like to get everything taken care of if I can. I'm forgetful, I'm starting to gain weight that I can't lose and that has never happened before, and even those maca magic pills I really liked in the beginning aren't doing anything for my libidio. I really miss actually wanting sex (still have it, just don't have much desire for it).
When I found myself behaving as someone I did not like, I knew it was time to do something.

My symptoms
Irritability (major, big time)
Hot flashes and nite sweats
Foggy brain
Feeling blue

Bio identical hormones have alleviated all of the symptoms for me.
My gyn knew nothing about them. I found a compounding pharmacist and backed into them that way.
Hth
I have finally realized I look my best when my hair tells me how it is going to fall, and I just make suggestions.

3A BSL
Bio identical hormones

what kind of side effects are there with these kinds of treatments?? anyone?
Bio identical hormones

Originally Posted by DEL2C
Here's an interesting thread from another forum. I certainly have not read it all. It is very confusing. There is an OBGYN on there that was involved in menopause research and she is dead set against bio-identicals. There are many on the thread who are saying they are ok, but MOST of them have no medical training, a few do, but I don't think anyone for it is an OBGYN. Like I said I didn't read the whole thing so I could be mistaken about that last statement.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum...r=asc&&start=0
I do a lot of reading on a menopause site (Power-
Surge). Side effects, whether from BHRT or HRT can sometimes be just like the yucky symptoms of peri (anxiety, flashes, weight gain, etc). From what I understand, it can often take a bit of tweaking to get HRT balanced.

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but here's a list of the 35 most common symptoms of menopause: 35 Symptoms of Menopause
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but here's a list of the 35 most common symptoms of menopause: 35 Symptoms of Menopause
Originally Posted by Wiggilyhair
I had never seen that website or list before. Thanks for posting it. I had several hits on that list. Relieved to know that I don't need therapy, it's just normal perimenopause symptoms.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
Bio identical hormones

Originally Posted by DEL2C
There are no side effects. Or, even better, the side effects are the elimination of symptoms. Bioidentical hormones are just that - biologically identical to what's already in your body. They're not created in a laboratory (like PremPro et. al.) by scientists. They're naturally derived hormones that are the closest thing to what you're supposed to have. The key is finding the right balance of the right hormones for you. Sometimes it's not an easy task. But, WELL worth it if you can find someone who is good at helping you manage your hormones and will prescribe natural hormones rather than do what most do: put you on BC pills (more stuff created in a lab, of course).

Anyhoo... my personal experience is with thyroid. I use bioidentical thyroid hormones. When I was on Synthroid (or Levoxyl - it changed from time to time, but they're both the same, essentially - T4-only drugs created in a lab. NOT bioidentical by any means.) After being on those for 20 years, I started having MAJOR symptoms of perimenopause. I was 36 when I first started having these issues. By the time I was 38, I could barely function as a human. I had a 3 year old that I couldn't keep up with. Yet my doctor(s) - yeah, ALL of them - kept telling me there was nothing wrong with me. Or they'd tell me I needed to lose weight (of course, weight gain is a symptom of hypothyroidism) and I needed to eat less and exercise. I became fanatical about doing just that. I was exercising 30-60 minutes per day 5-6 days a week. I was eating <30 g of fiber a day and >20 g of fat a day. Yet, I was still gaining weight and I had major debilitating exhaustion. Lord knows how I forced myself to get that exercise in.... I have NO idea. I was driven, I guess. When I found out about natural thyroid (which is bioidentical), I asked to be put on it. My doctor gave me the snide answer, "Well, I can put you on it. but, you're not going to see any difference. Your thyroid levels are FINE." I had him call in a prescription for Armour Thyroid (yeah, brand name, but still bioidentical) and then I promptly changed doctors. I found one who supported my choice for natural thyroid. And, guess what?... Within THREE DAYS - yes, only 3 days - I started feeling better. After being on Armour for a while, I regained the ability to lose weight, lost all my perimoenopausal symptoms - ALL of them, and lost that debilitating exhaustion. My brain fog (ohhh, that was awful) went away, too.

I'm telling you - bioidentical hormones are the way to go if you can do it. Suzanne Somers knows what she's talking about in that respect. I always thought she was a wacko or something. But, bioidentical hormones are 1,000x's better than anything else out there.

HTH...
Janet ~ Northern NJ
Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
My Picasa Album
What I used in this photo:
Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
Styling: CJCQ
How do you guys pay for the bio-identicals? My insurance which is pretty good said they won't. My co-worker said the drugs can be $500 a month! I'm probably going to cancel my April appointment.
Hey - Im hoping you guys can help me

My mum is having a hard time with the menopause. I don't know all her symptoms but she is getting bad hot flushes, is tried, moody and cannot sleep at night - which is keeping my dad up all night as well.

I want to put her together some sort of care package - with maybe some natural/herbal remedies, books, pamper treats, special teas etc but not sure where to start

Anyone have some advice/tips of things I could put together for her?
How do you guys pay for the bio-identicals? My insurance which is pretty good said they won't. My co-worker said the drugs can be $500 a month! I'm probably going to cancel my April appointment.
Originally Posted by sdc
I don't understand that. Bioidentical hormones can be prepared by a compounding pharmacy. They're not anything unusual, really. I think your insurance is just looking for a way out. ...Don't even get me started. LOL!

Right now, I'm on Armour brand thyroid (which is well known and sold everywhere CHEAP - I've never had an insurance company NOT pay for it). But, in the past there have been shortages of Armour and I've had to have my thyroid compounded by my pharmacy. Didn't make a difference - insurance paid for it the same as everything else. They didn't even question it.
Janet ~ Northern NJ
My Picasa Album
Hey - Im hoping you guys can help me

My mum is having a hard time with the menopause. I don't know all her symptoms but she is getting bad hot flushes, is tried, moody and cannot sleep at night - which is keeping my dad up all night as well.

I want to put her together some sort of care package - with maybe some natural/herbal remedies, books, pamper treats, special teas etc but not sure where to start

Anyone have some advice/tips of things I could put together for her?
Originally Posted by kat180
This is a GREAT idea!! How nice!! I'm a member of the Minnie Pauz message board. Maybe I can send a PM to the woman who runs the board. I'm sure she'd have some great suggestions!
Janet ~ Northern NJ
My Picasa Album
^ That would be very helpful and kind thank you! I wont be on the boards for a week, Im away - so if I don't reply immediately - Im still around!
I sent her a message. I'll PM you once she replies. Have a safe journey, wherever you're off to!
Janet ~ Northern NJ
My Picasa Album

Trending Topics