I'm blaming everything on perimenopause...

I sent her a message. I'll PM you once she replies. Have a safe journey, wherever you're off to!
Originally Posted by RacerWife7
Thanks

I had a lovely break

Question - is dandruff one of the side affects of the menopause?
I sent her a message. I'll PM you once she replies. Have a safe journey, wherever you're off to!
Thanks

I had a lovely break

Originally Posted by kat180
Here's what she suggested:
One thing I would definitely suggest is my book http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/l ... se/1207531 or something from my online store: Humorous Gifts for Menopausal Women!

Some other items would be:
A fan: Hot Flash Fans in Seven Contemporary Designs A small battery operated fan is great too.
As far as dandruff, I don't see anything on the message boards. But, I'm thinking, it may be due to the stress of the whole ordeal.
Janet ~ Northern NJ
Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
My Picasa Album
What I used in this photo:
Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
Styling: CJCQ
Anyone experiencing dull headaches and near-dizziness episodes?

I don't have my uterus, so my issues are all in a guessing game, and I'm not having the common symptoms, otherwise.

BUT, the key two things that I have been noticing for the last few months are periods of headaches (not migraines....never really had those) for a few days, every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks, and irritability. Big irritability.
I've been getting dull headaches the past 3 weeks, unresponsive ot OTC pain relievers. But I am assuming its due to EXHAUSTION! After a lifetime of sound sleeping I am now waking up in the 4 oclock hours every ****ing morning
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
UGH... the irritability is horrible!! I get the headaches, too. But, I tend to think they're due to my neck/back issues. I see a chiropractor for it. But, maybe I'm experiencing headaches from the peri, as well!

rudeechick, sleep issues are definitely one of the classic symptoms, too. I hope your early morning waking subsides!!
Janet ~ Northern NJ
My Picasa Album
I had head aches for awhile - they've calmed down, at least for now. Lately my biggest problem (literally!) has been breast swelling and tenderness - ouch! In the past I would only have that for a few days before my period. Now it's been for a couple of months....

The sleep disturbances are a real drag - hope you are able to get a complete night's sleep soon, rudee!
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I'm so sorry for those of you (Rudee) with sleep disturbances. I would expect those, as my mom had that issue, but I'm on Lexapro (anti-depressant for anxiety), and I'm sure that helps me stay sleeping.

The breast tenderness seems a bit more frequent, too, lately.

For the headache sufferers, did anything work? Sometimes and OTC pain reliever helps, but not always.
I used Aleve and that seemed to help with the headaches. Sometimes I'd also add a decongestant in case sinuses seemed to contribute to the pain.
2Poodles Southeast PA
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I'm allergic to Aleve and Motrin so Tylenol is my only recourse. It helps with regular headaches, but not the hormonal ones.....

I DREADED the sleep disturbance for years (watched my sister go thru it). Am gonna call my GP to get sleep meds.. cannot take this...
My Photobucket Album
I'm allergic to Aleve and Motrin so Tylenol is my only recourse. It helps with regular headaches, but not the hormonal ones.....

I DREADED the sleep disturbance for years (watched my sister go thru it). Am gonna call my GP to get sleep meds.. cannot take this...
Originally Posted by rudeechick
My body thinks Tylenol is nothing - I must not have whatever receptors it's supposed to work on 'cause it's never worked for any headache, any other ache, never worked on fever, nothing at all. I kind of think it's a big hoax, nobody can say how it works, it's not like the anti-inflammatories, those have actual effects that are understandable. Good thing it (tylenol) works for you if you can't take the ibuprofen.

I notice that I sleep much more soundly on the days that I work out aerobically in the early evenings (between 5 and 7 pm). Another benefit of exercise! I get up at 5am though, for work, so 4:30 not altogether terrifying to me. Sleep is one of the most important things to your health IMO, so do what you gotta do, without sleep nothing else works right.

Also, you might want to consider that the hormonal headaches may be migraines - I get migraines and they are almost always hormonally triggered. There are very good, effective medicines for migraine that are not painkillers, not opiate or anti-inflammatories, they are some sort of vasoconstrictor that just shuts down the migraine with, for me at least, no side effects. Only good if the headaches are occasional or rare, not useful if they are frequent.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!

Last edited by Robin-in-FL; 03-23-2011 at 04:34 PM.
My cycle has been messed up for a while now (as short as 11 days and as long as 70!) which has caught me out a few times! I got my first night sweats/flushes in November 2009. Horrendous! Lasted two months and then stopped. But now back! Started a few days ago and I am already exhausted as waking several times in the night and difficult to get back to sleep! Sheesh!

I have around 2/3rds of the symptoms in the list that wiggilyhair posted up (thanks for the link to that site) but did not make the connection to them possibly being related to peri (so much other crap going on in my life at the mo!)

Back in 2009, I thought I'd mention to doctor in case she had any useful suggestions. No such luck, she just informed me that, as I smoke, she would not consider putting me on ANY treatment (not that I asked to be put on anything!) No discussion - nothing! GP's are dire here in the UK! Since then, I have done a little research and found out about Remifemin (black cohosh) and ordered from US (can't purchase in UK) so will give this a whirl.

I have also had the red/dry eye thing which is bothering me now so have purchased the Refresh eye drops (thank you curlypearl!) and will try out from today (bit concerned about one of the contraindications - blurred vision!)

@jeepcurlygurl "So I just blame everything on men." - Yeah - lol! They're always in the mix for some reason or other! Ha!
UK - 3a/b med/coarse - mix normal/ high porosity.
Currently in my rotation:
Cleanser/Cowash: CJDF,
Tresemme Naturals, DGJ Hairjuice clarifying, Urtekram Lavender
Conditioners/DT's: CJH&BDF, CJCR, DBPSC, AOWC, Y2C
Protein: AOGPB, Joico Reconstruct Condish (regular not PT)
Leave Ins/Curl Creams: CJCCCC, CJ Smoothing, KeraCare/JCAC
Gel: FSG, BRHG, Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel, L'Oreal Studio Mineral Control Invisi'Gel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41240927@N03/

I was on antidepressants for a few months a couple years ago and wasn't able to take any NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, Motrin, etc.). Tylenol didn't even make a DENT in my headaches. But, Excedrin did. Rudeechick, you might want to try that if you haven't already... unless you can't take the caffeine in it. For some reason, the combo in Excedrin seemed to work for me when regular Tylenol didn't.
Janet ~ Northern NJ
My Picasa Album

My body thinks Tylenol is nothing - I must not have whatever receptors it's supposed to work on 'cause it's never worked for any headache, any other ache, never worked on fever, nothing at all. I kind of think it's a big hoax, nobody can say how it works, it's not like the anti-inflammatories, those have actual effects that are understandable. Good thing it (tylenol) works for you if you can't take the ibuprofen.

I notice that I sleep much more soundly on the days that I work out aerobically in the early evenings (between 5 and 7 pm). Another benefit of exercise! I get up at 5am though, for work, so 4:30 not altogether terrifying to me. Sleep is one of the most important things to your health IMO, so do what you gotta do, without sleep nothing else works right.

Also, you might want to consider that the hormonal headaches may be migraines - I get migraines and they are almost always hormonally triggered. There are very good, effective medicines for migraine that are not painkillers, not opiate or anti-inflammatories, they are some sort of vasoconstrictor that just shuts down the migraine with, for me at least, no side effects. Only good if the headaches are occasional or rare, not useful if they are frequent.
Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL

Well I run hills for 60 minutes every morning.. so its not that....As for hormones/migraines... sounds credible. I get hyper emesis when I am pregnant....all 9 months... all the SAME exact triggers as migraines sufferers.... will look into this thanks

I was on antidepressants for a few months a couple years ago and wasn't able to take any NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, Motrin, etc.). Tylenol didn't even make a DENT in my headaches. But, Excedrin did. Rudeechick, you might want to try that if you haven't already... unless you can't take the caffeine in it. For some reason, the combo in Excedrin seemed to work for me when regular Tylenol didn't.
Will absolutely explore this Caffiene is my drug of choice anyway
My Photobucket Album
Thanks

I had a lovely break

Originally Posted by kat180
Here's what she suggested:
One thing I would definitely suggest is my book http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/l ... se/1207531 or something from my online store: Humorous Gifts for Menopausal Women!

Some other items would be:
A fan: Hot Flash Fans in Seven Contemporary Designs A small battery operated fan is great too.
As far as dandruff, I don't see anything on the message boards. But, I'm thinking, it may be due to the stress of the whole ordeal.
Thanks for that - I will check it out!
I'm almost afraid to say anything, but has anyone tried anti-anxiety meds? I am 46 and my last period was nearly four years ago - my doctor tested me and I am in full on menopause! My main symptoms have been hot flashes, anxiety, and according to my husband being nearly impossible to live with. My doctor put me on citalopram (brand name Celexa) and I am a new woman. It helped with hot flashes, sleep, anxiety, and moods. My husband and I are both very happy! My doc said a lot of women stay on it all through menopause and I can see why!

Sent from my Droid using CurlTalk App
Mod CG since 8/08 -was wavy, poufy, and difficult before CG. low-poo nearly every day/diffuse daily
Low-poo-kevin murphy
Rinse-out conditioners - kevin murphy
Leave-in- kevin murphy bodyguard
Curl Enhancers-kevin murphy, curly sexy hair, kccc
Hold-kccc & brhg

Last edited by willwork4curls; 08-17-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: added info
I get occasional hot flashes, my sleep is interrupted sometimes, and my periods have become like business taxes...something I only get quarterly. I'm really trying not to let menopause turn me into a cranky old lady. I refuse to complain, blame, or, most especially, I refuse to moan and sigh (god, I can't stand all the old ladies at the gym who moan and grunt and sigh all the time). These things are minor nuisances, nothing more. I'm aging...there's nothing I can do about it...but it sure beats the alternative. My best friend didn't live to see menopause, so I'm going to do my best to live life for both of us. I intend to really enjoy living...until I die.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
Just in time for my 50th birthday this month, I am missing a period for a reason other than pregnancy or breastfeeding. I'm in a slight state of shock and depression, but your last sentence sort of jolted me back to reality. My sister died at 45.

Edited to add that I spoke too soon about the missed period. I haven't had a 38-day cycle since I was in my 20s. For the past several years, I've been used to 28-30 days, but this year I've seen 26 days, 34, and now 38. I'm all over the place.

Last edited by Verity; 11-15-2011 at 06:56 PM.
"My body thinks Tylenol is nothing - I must not have whatever receptors it's supposed to work on 'cause it's never worked for any headache, any other ache, never worked on fever, nothing at all."

Interesting - my body does the same thing. It might just as well be a sugar pill LOL!
Same here with (OTC) Tylenol--it does nothing for me.

I hope those who are suffering from headaches and/or sleep disturbances find relief.
My favorite OTC for headache relief is Excedrin Migraine. It's a combo of aspirin, tylenol and caffeine. A couple of those will get rid of my toughest headaches within 20 - 30 minutes.
2Poodles Southeast PA

Trending Topics