I'm blaming everything on perimenopause...

...hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, moodiness, red burning eyes.... and anything else that annoys me!

I really wish I knew how long this was all going to last. It'd be easier to pace myself if there were a known end point. I had a hysterectomy (but kept my ovaries) 11 years ago at age 37, so I don't even have my periods to go by. What a total nuisance.

Guys have it so much easier. Not fair.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

...hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, moodiness, red burning eyes.... and anything else that annoys me!

I really wish I knew how long this was all going to last. It'd be easier to pace myself if there were a known end point. I had a hysterectomy (but kept my ovaries) 11 years ago at age 37, so I don't even have my periods to go by. What a total nuisance.

Guys have it so much easier. Not fair.
Originally Posted by 2poodles
+1 to the bolded. So true in so many ways! I'd check out the red burning eyes or try Systane drops and eye ointment. Use just a tiny bit of the eye ointment at night. It's the best. Your eyes are probably dry and that makes your peepers moist again and clear again. GL!
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
Thanks for the suggestion, curlypearl. I'll look into the eye ointment. I've been blaming the red burning eyes on lack of sleep, but an ointment/drops are certainly worth a try!!

And I forgot about the hormonal acne - what a huge drag!!
2Poodles Southeast PA
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I had my uterus removed when I was 27, so I understand how confusing it is when you don't have a period to go by. At 50 I had all the symptoms you are having. It was terrible, especially the hot flashes. I had a 20 minute drive to work and would get 4 while driving. They would also make me a little light headed. I don't have them that often now. I'm 59. If I drink coffee or alcohol I may get one, but it isn't too bad. I still have the insomnia at times, but that's getting better too. I find that if I'm having trouble sleeping taking a Xanax tablet helps.

It does get better, but it is hard to go thru. I think it's also important that your family and friends understand what you are going thru. You will need their support and understanding. You may have mood swings that can confuse them.

(((HUGS))) and know you can come here for support or if you just want to complain. WE understand.

ETA: I've just recently started having the eye redness. It's worse in the mornings. CP, what eye ointment do you use. I was using an eye gel at night, but it didn't help. I've also tried Visine, but no results with that either. I'd really like to find something that works, becuz it's embarrassing.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."

Last edited by Lotsawaves; 11-06-2010 at 09:05 AM.
ETA: I've just recently started having the eye redness. It's worse in the mornings. CP, what eye ointment do you use. I was using an eye gel at night, but it didn't help. I've also tried Visine, but no results with that either. I'd really like to find something that works, becuz it's embarrassing.
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves

The eye redness is probably from the Latisse you are using. I have that too. A little of the long-acting Visine works great to make them not red.
My perimenopause lasted for more than 7 years. I kicked the night sweats, forgetfulness, hot flashes, zero sex drive and waking up 3x a night to the curb with bio-identical hormones (which I still take). It was such a blessing to sleep through the night again.
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
My sister-in-law just told me about Midnight - some sort of herbal, all natural sleep aid that's supposed to be effective yet not make you feel drowsy in the morning. I picked up a package at Walgreens. Has anyone tried it? They're basically 1.5 mg of melatonin and some additional lemon balm, chamomile and lavender.

2Poodles Southeast PA

I had no idea the red burning eyes was a symptom of perimenopause. I get to add that to my list now!!
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
Haha - I don't know if the red burning eyes is a true symptom of Peri or not - but, like I said, I'm blaming everything on it! Sorry you've got them, too. I'm seeing the eye doctor in another week or so. I'll be asking what he recommends and I'll pass on anything I learn....
2Poodles Southeast PA

We might as well add to the list-it is such a long list it will not even be noticed. My sis had a hysterectomy when she was in mid 20s so has no idea where she is either. I am kinda in the same shoes since I am still taking birth control. I had to ask the stupidest question ever if I would still continue to have periods if still on the pill. RCW let me know that I would so I am not really sure where I am in this journey either. I am not sure if I have enough energy to make an appt to find out what I should be doing if anything. That is another symptom-apathy.
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
My sister-in-law just told me about Midnight - some sort of herbal, all natural sleep aid that's supposed to be effective yet not make you feel drowsy in the morning. I picked up a package at Walgreens. Has anyone tried it? They're basically 1.5 mg of melatonin and some additional lemon balm, chamomile and lavender.

Originally Posted by 2poodles
I tried it and it did nothing. I wouldn't waste your money on it.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves

The eye redness is probably from the Latisse you are using. I have that too. A little of the long-acting Visine works great to make them not red.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
I was getting the eye redness before I started the Latisse, so it's not that. I'll try the long-acting Visine. Thx.
From Michael Berg:

We might as well add to the list-it is such a long list it will not even be noticed. My sis had a hysterectomy when she was in mid 20s so has no idea where she is either. I am kinda in the same shoes since I am still taking birth control. I had to ask the stupidest question ever if I would still continue to have periods if still on the pill. RCW let me know that I would so I am not really sure where I am in this journey either. I am not sure if I have enough energy to make an appt to find out what I should be doing if anything. That is another symptom-apathy.
Originally Posted by xcptnl
I hear you on the energy. When my friends call and want to make plans in the future, I tell them I will let them know that day. Not sure if I'll have the energy to do it. I got some iron pills and hope they will work. I think the energy thing also affects my sex drive. You know you have to have some energy to have sex. I think mine is still there, becuz of a dream I had recently. I really want to continue that dream.
From Michael Berg:

I'm another one who had her uterus removed but not the ovaries. I was having minor hot flashes (but still annoying), not sleeping through the night, vaginal dryness, lack of desire, etc.

Since I started on 2 products recommended in my libido thread I have been doing much better. Rarely get a hot flash now, (remember mine weren't really bad though), almost never need lubricant for sex, and am having more desire and orgasms.

What I started using was the maca magic capsules (I take 2 a day and I think that is the minimum recommended), and the vaginal cream (prescription), that curlypearl recommended. I also have more energy which I attribute directly to the maca. I did an experiment where I stopped them for a month to check and it made a huge difference. (hatingmyhair recommended the maca)

For sleeping I have been using Unisom for about 7 years. I added L-theanine for relaxation with it about 2 years ago. Those usually work. However, on the Unisom I had to start out with a quarter of a tablet because any more than that and I was hungover the next day. Now I have to take a full tablet for it to be effective, but to me it is worth it.
I may try the maca magic pills. I'll let you know if I feel it's working. I would love more energy.
From Michael Berg:

2 endometrial ablations here, so also no periods to go by. last night i woke up 3 times with hot flashes. the night before 4 or 5...

1.5 mg of melatonin??? i take 9 mg when i really need to sleep, but i have such vivid dreams with it, i don't know if it helps that much.
My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
I WISH I could blame things on meno/perimeno but my body seems in no rush to start any of that. I'm pretty flippin sick of having periods every 2-3 weeks.
So I just blame everything on men. : )
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Just another comment on the red burning eyes. I've had that but it wasn't due to perimenopause. If the drops and nighttime eye ointment don't help, you need to see an ophthalmologist, although a regular doctor (internist or family doctor) could help also. I had to use a drug called Restasis - you may have seen it advertised on TV.
It relieves dry eyes. One drop twice a day - it stings a little but after a while my eyes when back to being clear and not burning so I didn't have to use it anymore.

Good luck with all your symptoms! Let us know how it's going.
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
Well I am reading this because I CANNOT SLEEP.

After 2 years of irregular periods and night sweats I went symptom ADN PERIOD free for 7 months. I thought I was home free. The 2 months ago I got a period (well more of a semi colon but....) Since then....

Had my first night sweat again 2 nights ago. And am all broken out. Am losing handfuls of hair....

PS. I gained 10 lbs the past year - after being the same weight my entire adult life.

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?? Am seriously considering HRT... I read that if you start it prior to 50 and stay on it less than 5 years the risk are minimal and can even be beneficial....
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
rudee I was trying to block the weight thing out of head!
Central Massachusetts

Trending Topics