Bras at this time of life

I also swear by Chantelle bras! They are so pricey, but well worth the expense!
They fit me like a dream, and they are well made.
I was tickled last week when I found one that happened to be in my size at Macy's on the clearance rack for...get this...$17.97! Regular price was $80-something.
Update here - two days ago I went back to Nordstrom's to buy those Chantelle bras that fit me so great, and the fitter who fit me a little while back wasn't there as she was off work that day. However, another also sympathetic fitter confirmed the Chantelle style and size as being perfect for me, so I went ahead and bought three of them, 2 in nude, and one in black. So glad I did this, as EVERYTHING looks so much better on me! I feel like I look like myself again instead of having some foam-molded things on my chest - LOL! Even DH noticed, and I do indeed look like 5 pounds came off just like that, at least! I'm not bothering with cheap ill-fitting bras ever again, I swear! I'd rather have a few things that I like for clothes in general rather than a whole closet full of "nothing to wear". This was an expense, since these bras are $68 each, but I thought that right now I'd be better off spending money on something that would make the clothes I have now look better rather than just getting some more clothes LOL! Not to say that won't be in the future when I see something really cool at the second-hand store(non-bra) that's good quality that I love and that fits. And yes, the dressing rooms at Nordstrom are a lot better - very roomy and the mirrors are better too so that helps.
Originally Posted by caramix3a
Boy, how I can relate!!! Also being a small frame but needing a larger cup size since menopause and just wanting a natural supportive bra w/o padding (like the ones they used to make -- haha)! Can you share with me which model Chantelle bra you like so much? I have to drive 2 hours to the closest Nordstroms but it might be worth it, since I have a drawer full of VS's, Calvin Klein, Bali, and Target bras & am not fond of any of them!
Type: FIA's 2c w/2b canopy; M II ; Mod CG & PJ since Sept 2010
Experimenting with a lot of products
Update here - two days ago I went back to Nordstrom's to buy those Chantelle bras that fit me so great, and the fitter who fit me a little while back wasn't there as she was off work that day. However, another also sympathetic fitter confirmed the Chantelle style and size as being perfect for me, so I went ahead and bought three of them, 2 in nude, and one in black. So glad I did this, as EVERYTHING looks so much better on me! I feel like I look like myself again instead of having some foam-molded things on my chest - LOL! Even DH noticed, and I do indeed look like 5 pounds came off just like that, at least! I'm not bothering with cheap ill-fitting bras ever again, I swear! I'd rather have a few things that I like for clothes in general rather than a whole closet full of "nothing to wear". This was an expense, since these bras are $68 each, but I thought that right now I'd be better off spending money on something that would make the clothes I have now look better rather than just getting some more clothes LOL! Not to say that won't be in the future when I see something really cool at the second-hand store(non-bra) that's good quality that I love and that fits. And yes, the dressing rooms at Nordstrom are a lot better - very roomy and the mirrors are better too so that helps.
Boy, how I can relate!!! Also being a small frame but needing a larger cup size since menopause and just wanting a natural supportive bra w/o padding (like the ones they used to make -- haha)! Can you share with me which model Chantelle bra you like so much? I have to drive 2 hours to the closest Nordstroms but it might be worth it, since I have a drawer full of VS's, Calvin Klein, Bali, and Target bras & am not fond of any of them!
Originally Posted by swaves
if you are taking the time to drive to nordstroms, you ought to allow them to fit you before you buy anything. i personally think it is well worth it. and does not take any extra time, in fact, is quicker as they do the 'shopping' for you, just bring a few back to the dressing room for you to try on. actually, any quality dept store is good, i have a saks closer to me and went there and am very happy -- before everyone shudders at the cost of the bras there, i bought wacaol there for $40, and later got more at the friends & family sale for 20%, and found them also at lord & taylor, same price, but another sale at 25% off.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine

Last edited by rbb; 12-04-2010 at 05:56 AM. Reason: more info
The style I got was the Chantelle C-chic #3582. But it's best to let the good fitter fit you and get the right style - what worked for me might not work for you and vice versa. Best of luck - I'm still loving these new bras and will likely go back after the beginning of the year for at least one more, and be fitted for a racerback so I'd have more options for workout tops since so many of these are racerback.
The style I got was the Chantelle C-chic #3582. But it's best to let the good fitter fit you and get the right style - what worked for me might not work for you and vice versa. Best of luck - I'm still loving these new bras and will likely go back after the beginning of the year for at least one more, and be fitted for a racerback so I'd have more options for workout tops since so many of these are racerback.
Thanks so much for your help! At least when I go for a fitting, I'll have an idea of something to request. Hope it's not too embarrassing to get a fitting....have never done it which is probably why I have so many bras I don't like. And yeah, a racerback bra is also a good idea! Hopefully I get a nice sympathetic fitter.....
Thanks so much for your help! At least when I go for a fitting, I'll have an idea of something to request. Hope it's not too embarrassing to get a fitting....have never done it which is probably why I have so many bras I don't like. And yeah, a racerback bra is also a good idea! Hopefully I get a nice sympathetic fitter.....
absolutely not! it's very modest. you go into dressing room and the fitter looks at the bra you are wearing while you are wearing it. she might make some adjustments, like lowering the straps. and then she tells you what size she thinks you are. then she goes out and comes back with some bras, she leaves and you try them on. she'll come back and ask what you thought, and maybe check the one you like while it is on you.
i had this experience in saks and at a local bra shop (the local shop was a waste of time, thankfully they had very little stock.) my daughter had the same experience at nordstroms.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
absolutely not! it's very modest. you go into dressing room and the fitter looks at the bra you are wearing while you are wearing it. she might make some adjustments, like lowering the straps. and then she tells you what size she thinks you are. then she goes out and comes back with some bras, she leaves and you try them on. she'll come back and ask what you thought, and maybe check the one you like while it is on you.
i had this experience in saks and at a local bra shop (the local shop was a waste of time, thankfully they had very little stock.) my daughter had the same experience at nordstroms.
Originally Posted by rbb

I think a good fitting entails having the fitter assess the fit of each and every bra. They make adjustments in the straps and evaluate what features needs to be bigger/smaller to fit you better and then she goes and gets a bra style that might offer those features. But, yes, it's usually very modestly done and the fitter leaves the client alone for a moment to put the bra on and off in private.
Thanks so much for all your help ladies! I can hardly wait to try out a fitting. We are so far from ANY SHOPPING AT ALL, or else I'd go today!
Originally Posted by rbb

I think a good fitting entails having the fitter assess the fit of each and every bra. They make adjustments in the straps and evaluate what features needs to be bigger/smaller to fit you better and then she goes and gets a bra style that might offer those features. But, yes, it's usually very modestly done and the fitter leaves the client alone for a moment to put the bra on and off in private.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
Sorry this is off the subject, but RCW, what kind of adorable puppy is in your avatar?
Sorry this is off the subject, but RCW, what kind of adorable puppy is in your avatar?

That's my doodle mutt. She's a curly. She's a poodle/golden retriever mix. She's 7 months old now, and looks nothing like that picture. I recently posted a pic of her in this thread, before-and-after her first haircut.
This thread made me get a fitting at Nordies. I had had one close to a year ago at a specialty store, but she didn't even measure and told me I was a 32C. I was wearing a 34B which was comfortable at the time. About a year before that I had been wearing 36A because I thought any smaller on the band and it would be too tight. FINALLY it clicked when I heard that if my bra straps were falling down, and mine were, that the band is too big. So on my own I switched to 34B.

The 32C was uncomfortable and I tried a few. I ended up returning them and went back to 34B. After reading this thread I decided to go to Nordies and she measured and said I was between a 32 and 34. She also said I needed a C cup even though I consider myself small. Most of my breast tissue is on the side. The one I bought pushes it more forward. So far I am happy with this and will try more in the 34C range. I think I look a bit slimmer but that could be wishful thinking.

BTW, the fitting was not modest at all, at eitehr place. It didn't bother me, but I thought I would let people know.
Maybe I'll treat myself to a fitting this weekend at Nordi's since I'm hitting the big 5-0 tomorrow. I've not had one done in about 4 years. After the last one I wore Wacoals for awhile but then switched over to the Cacique bras at Lane Bryant which actually were a better fit for me.
Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
BC: 01/30/09
Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/
Happy Birthday (tomorrow) QVCDiva!!
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Thank you 2poodles.
Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
BC: 01/30/09
Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/

Trending Topics