Job hunting at our age

Anyone job hunting? Are you worried about age discrimination? It's like there isn't anything out there and on top of that, why buy old when they can buy younger?

I'm going to have an operation to help my voice (from brain surgery tumor removed last year) but my dear bro says my age will be more of a hindrance than my voice! Frustrating.

What are your experiences?
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Experimenting with cones & sulfates while the dews are high.
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
I don't know if my experience is typical or not but I changed fields 2 years ago and didn't have a problem at all.

I was more than ready for a change after 10+ years in the same "on call 24/7, swing shift, travel up to 5 hours one way" job.

I was actually interviewed and hired three different places (and was able to pick and choose after careful consideration) and in each case the interviewers were younger than me.

My years of experience was a benefit, not a drawback, although one interviewer did ask if I was prepared to take an entry level position after being in Management for years. (I didn't have a problem and have moved right up in the last two years - it happened to be the job I chose)

I just turned 50 this last August, if that helps at all.

I was a little worried because when I first started hunting I wasn't getting call backs at all but I think, in retrospect, they were positions I wouldn't have been terribly happy in, anyway.

Good luck on your search!
2C, maybe
Biolage Conditioning Balm
Deva Curls One condition
GF Triple Nutrition conditioner, deep conditioner and leave in spray
anGell and Set it Free
Good luck to you!
Statistically, yes, it is more difficult to find a job when you are older.

I have had best results with just temping when jobs not plentiful, it gets you going to work, in the groove, gets you some money, and eventually a job may want to hire you, and it's less intimidating than interviewing to sort of "audition".

Because they have to get past the number.

You may also have trouble, though, if you've had the brain surgery and voice surgery; companies aren't SUPPOSED to discriminate based on medical history but if you are the hiring manager and you have one prospect who will help your insurance pool and another who will raise everyone's rates, it ends up being something they consider even though it's not legal.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
Thank you Rose and Robin! I sent out about 50 resumes and cover letters but no responses so nobody has even had the chance to find out about the voice and brain surgery. Hopefully the voice will be fixed from the next surgery and I won't tell anyone about the brain surgery. The tumor was benign so it's not an ongoing condition.

I guess it just must be the economy. I never had trouble getting a job before but I worked in my last job 27 years so I'm definitely out of touch.

I agree, temping is probably the best way to go. Thanks for the encouragement!
Protein sensitive
Every day is a gift
I'm sorry you're having difficulty finding a job. Seems like the people I know who have managed to find jobs in this economy have done it because of people they know. Networking seems to be crucial. Tell everyone you know that you're looking for a job and ask them to keep you in mind. What sort of job are you looking for?
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Hi 2Poodles. I'm looking for a job as admin asst. (Exec. Secty) - but I don't care about the title. I'm very good at any kind of office work.

Another friend of mine said in this down economy that networking was the way to go, which is what you're suggesting. I have told a lot of people - many are in the same boat. Maybe after the holidays it will pick up.

Thanks for responding!
Protein sensitive
Every day is a gift
I was lucky with my current job, because my boss is the same age and had bad luck with the young girls he hired before me. It's going to be tough no matter what your age is now. I'm so thankful that I have a job and hope I don't have to look for another one anytime soon. GL to you.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
Thanks for responding Lotsawaves. You're right - it's tough now for everybody. I sure hope the economy improves - for everyone.
Protein sensitive
Every day is a gift

Trending Topics