Anybody have an expensive hair dryer?

I've been using the FHI Nano Salon Pro 2000 since Christmas day. It is a tiny bit heavier than my old one, but it's nothing I would have noticed if it hadn't been pointed out in reviews. It is very powerful and if I use it on the full settings (heat and power) it blows my hair much straighter than my old one did. I did try the diffuser and my hair came out curlier, it was on a par with my old dryer and no diffuser. I have decided to use it on the high heat but the medium power and I get more curl but don't have to use the diffuser. I don't think it dries my hair any faster though. I know that sounds odd. I haven't timed it but it just "feels" like I am blow drying for the same amount of time as I used to, no matter which setting I use. I personally don't see any advantage to this over the $20 one I was using except that it is much quieter.

My husband really likes it though. He likes the power of it and the quietness.

ETA: I do really like the long cord, hubby can take the dryer over to his sink and I don't have to move out of his way anymore while he dries.
I'm looking at those too. I need to replace mine soon--and I'm considering a high-end tourmaline dryer. I've done a lot of research, and I think I'm going to go for the FHI Heat Nano Salon Pro 2000 Hair Dryer, based on its reviews. (Google it, they also sell it on Amazon).

I probably won't buy it until January...but when I do, I'll post back my own review on this forum.

I did notice that my ionic hair dryer I have now made a dramatic difference in my frizz level, so I'm thinking why not splurge on the cutting-edge technology? My hair needs all the help it can get.
Originally Posted by CurlyLinZee
I own the FHI nano salon pro 2000 - I love it! I got it from my hair salon because that's what my hair dresser uses. It comes with a concentrator which I never use and a really great diffuser which I always use. What I especially like about this dryer is that it is powerful without blowing my hair every which way. I think it really does cut down on frizz.
Originally Posted by 2poodles
This is the hair dryer I have and I LOVE it. It is one of the few hair dryers that work really well on my hair, but I can still use to straighten my daughter's hair. I used to have the Metropolis Z-ion hair dryer, which I really liked ... however, the cord kept breaking on me. I wouldn't recommend it for that reason. As good as the Z-ion was on my hair, it was brutal for straightening my daughter's hair.

The FHI Heat Nano Pro 2000 works really well. It is very powerful. The FHI Heat on low was as powerful as the Z-ion on high.

I always use it on high heat. I diffuse for a minute or two with my head tipped down on high speed. I then lift my head and continue diffusing on low speed, high heat. My hair dries really quickly, great curl formation and no frizz.
Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
I'm looking at those too. I need to replace mine soon--and I'm considering a high-end tourmaline dryer. I've done a lot of research, and I think I'm going to go for the FHI Heat Nano Salon Pro 2000 Hair Dryer, based on its reviews. (Google it, they also sell it on Amazon).

I probably won't buy it until January...but when I do, I'll post back my own review on this forum.

I did notice that my ionic hair dryer I have now made a dramatic difference in my frizz level, so I'm thinking why not splurge on the cutting-edge technology? My hair needs all the help it can get.
Originally Posted by CurlyLinZee
I own the FHI nano salon pro 2000 - I love it! I got it from my hair salon because that's what my hair dresser uses. It comes with a concentrator which I never use and a really great diffuser which I always use. What I especially like about this dryer is that it is powerful without blowing my hair every which way. I think it really does cut down on frizz.
Originally Posted by 2poodles
This is the hair dryer I have and I LOVE it. It is one of the few hair dryers that work really well on my hair, but I can still use to straighten my daughter's hair. I used to have the Metropolis Z-ion hair dryer, which I really liked ... however, the cord kept breaking on me. I wouldn't recommend it for that reason. As good as the Z-ion was on my hair, it was brutal for straightening my daughter's hair.

The FHI Heat Nano Pro 2000 works really well. It is very powerful. The FHI Heat on low was as powerful as the Z-ion on high.

I always use it on high heat. I diffuse for a minute or two with my head tipped down on high speed. I then lift my head and continue diffusing on low speed, high heat. My hair dries really quickly, great curl formation and no frizz.
Originally Posted by FrizzBgone
FBG or anyone else who has the FHI Nano,
how is the diffuser on this one. Is it so powerfull that the hair blows around at all?
3a fine; dense; medium-low porosity, frizz prone

Current Favs: KM Shampoo bars, Darcy's pumpkin seed conditioner, CJ Repair Me; CJCR, CJCCC; Marie Dean products; DM Miracurls Gelly; KCCC; CJCQ; LA Looks sport gel

Curl Junkie & Marie Dean

http://public.fotki.com/BeachCurlGurl/
No, the diffuser does not let your hair blow all over the place.
As a result of this thread, I treated myself the the FHI nano. It's great. I use it on high heat/low speed for a few minutes to diffuse upside down. It doesn't blow the hair around, at all.

Only expensive dryer I had previously was the Deva dryer. The diffuser gave me a lot of frizz, so I swapped it. I should have tried it with a different diffuser.
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix and CCCC
So, what am I missing out on? What makes a $200 dryer better than my $15-25 pancake dryers. Mine are small and light, easy to pack for a trip, have lasted for years, don't blow my hair around, have different heat and fan settings, don't make my hair frizz, and dry my hair as they're supposed to.

If the expensive ones make hair healthier, thicker, grow faster, etc - it's worth the money and I would buy one! If it just dries hair, I don't understand what makes it better.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**

Hey, Jeep - if you're happy with your current dryer, stick with it! I was never able to find one that I liked, so when I decided I liked the one that my hairdresser used, I bought one just like it....
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I just don't want to be missing something good! : )
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**

So, what am I missing out on? What makes a $200 dryer better than my $15-25 pancake dryers. Mine are small and light, easy to pack for a trip, have lasted for years, don't blow my hair around, have different heat and fan settings, don't make my hair frizz, and dry my hair as they're supposed to.

If the expensive ones make hair healthier, thicker, grow faster, etc - it's worth the money and I would buy one! If it just dries hair, I don't understand what makes it better.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
If you read post #21 I explain what I think. Mostly I say stick with what you have if you're happy. I don't think mine is worth the extra money but since hubby really likes it and I'm ok with it I'll keep it.
This dryer cuts drying time by 1/3. I even used it once for a blowout and no flat iron was need as my hair came out soft, shiny and static free. However since I do not blowfry any longer, I use the diffuser that goes with this dryer and have been using it regularly since 12/10 on the medium setting and there is absolutely no damage. Even the diffuser has tourmaline. At my age I have gone through many dryers and the drug store brands just do not stand up to regular daily long term use like professional brands. Ask any hairdresser! This was definitely worth the splurge. Just as we would not wash a fine cashmere sweater with Tide, we should also treat our hair like cashmere or fine silk. Research, research and research some more and then purchase the best dryer you can afford! Our waves and curls are definitely worth it

Trending Topics