CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Over 40 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/)
-   -   Anybody have an expensive hair dryer? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/118164-anybody-have-expensive-hair-dryer.html)

ShrekLover 12-14-2010 09:47 AM

Anybody have an expensive hair dryer?

I'm wondering if those hairdryers that cost $200 or more are worth the money. Does anyone have one?

jeepcurlygurl 12-14-2010 02:40 PM

All of the hairdryers I have ever owned in my life probably don't add up to half of that. : )
My diffusers cost around $15 and last for years. I have no experience with high end hair appliances, so I'm no help.

CurlyLinZee 12-14-2010 04:49 PM

I'm looking at those too. I need to replace mine soon--and I'm considering a high-end tourmaline dryer. I've done a lot of research, and I think I'm going to go for the FHI Heat Nano Salon Pro 2000 Hair Dryer, based on its reviews. (Google it, they also sell it on Amazon).

I probably won't buy it until January...but when I do, I'll post back my own review on this forum.

I did notice that my ionic hair dryer I have now made a dramatic difference in my frizz level, so I'm thinking why not splurge on the cutting-edge technology? My hair needs all the help it can get. :laughing8:

rbb 12-14-2010 06:21 PM

i bought a t3 6 years ago, still love it. (at the time i think i paid about $120 for it with a gift card -- it was definitely not $200).
it is the only hair dryer that does not frizz my hair.

curlylinzee -- what is better about that one than the t3s? i am interested in seeing your review of it once you use it.

2poodles 12-15-2010 05:08 AM

I own the FHI nano salon pro 2000 - I love it! I got it from my hair salon because that's what my hair dresser uses. It comes with a concentrator which I never use and a really great diffuser which I always use. What I especially like about this dryer is that it is powerful without blowing my hair every which way. I think it really does cut down on frizz.

rudeechick 12-15-2010 06:29 AM

I sprung for the T3 about 8 years ago and love it. And for alot of that time I was blowing my hair straight every day....Never had a problem with it and it still works as good as it did when it was new.

I bought it because I got tired of having less expensive blowers burn out midway thru a blow dry after only a year or two.....

ShrekLover 12-15-2010 10:40 AM

Thanks everyone. I've heard of the t3's but not the nano. I'm gong to check the link. I should have mentioned that I don't straighten so that is why I was wondering if it really made a difference. I don't diffuse either. My hair comes out curly enough without diffusing.

2poodles - the reviews on Amazon are mostly great, but a couple mention that it is heavy. What do you think?

Here's a link for $149, plus free shipping and if you use their code you get a free flat iron. I won't use that but I may play with it. I'm seriously considering this.

http://www.folica.com/reviews/tools/...-dryer#reviews

Ok, that was too good to pass up. I just ordered it with the free flat iron and I bought the heat/volumizing spary they recommended. I'm going to let my husband give this to me for Christmas.

rbb 12-15-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdc (Post 1545218)
Thanks everyone. I've heard of the t3's but not the nano. I'm gong to check the link. I should have mentioned that I don't straighten so that is why I was wondering if it really made a difference. I don't diffuse either. My hair comes out curly enough without diffusing.

i never straighten my hair. when i use the dryer i always use the diffuser.

2poodles 12-15-2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

2poodles - the reviews on Amazon are mostly great, but a couple mention that it is heavy. What do you think?

Here's a link for $149, plus free shipping and if you use their code you get a free flat iron. I won't use that but I may play with it. I'm seriously considering this.

FHI Nano Salon Pro 2000 Hair Dryer Reviews | Folica.com

Ok, that was too good to pass up. I just ordered it with the free flat iron and I bought the heat/volumizing spary they recommended. I'm going to let my husband give this to me for Christmas.

I think you'll be very happy with the hair dryer. I haven't found it particularly heavy - but it's not a tiny little light weight either. It's built to last. And yay you for finding it at a great price!! :thumbleft:

Suburbanbushbabe 12-15-2010 06:21 PM

I have a T3 Evolution bought a few months ago on sale for $140 (good price). I love it - no frizz, it doesn't blow my hair around and it dries hair fast.

CurlyLinZee 12-15-2010 07:09 PM

I think the T3 and nano are quite comparable, but when I read through many of the reviews on Amazon, it seemed that the Nano got better ratings. Some customers got "dud" T3's and were quite unhappy. So, I based my decision to go with the Nano instead. I won't be purchasing it until next month, so I'll post my review then. Seems like they're both good driers, though. I like the fact that the Nano comes with a diffuser and you don't have to buy it separately--this also ensures it will fit! Those universal diffusers don't always fit or stay on, which is incredibly annoying to me!

ShrekLover 12-16-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2poodles (Post 1545480)
Quote:

FHI Nano Salon Pro 2000 Hair Dryer Reviews | Folica.com

I think you'll be very happy with the hair dryer. I haven't found it particularly heavy - but it's not a tiny little light weight either. It's built to last. And yay you for finding it at a great price!! :thumbleft:

Thanks, I'm hoping I'll love it as much as the reviews. The T3 also got great reviews so it was hard to decide. My husband is a bit worried that it will be too hot for him. His hair is thin. We just leave the dryer on the counter because we both use it every day. I told him no whining. He can use the one we have now if he doesn't like it, although that will be a bit of a pain because the only outlet is by my sink.

CurlyLinZee 12-16-2010 11:13 AM

Ugh...sorry it's too late since you already ordered it, but it's way cheaper on Amazon.com. $90

ShrekLover 12-16-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurlyLinZee (Post 1545911)
Ugh...sorry it's too late since you already ordered it, but it's way cheaper on Amazon.com. $90

But some of the reviewers said they had trouble returning it or getting it fixed since Amazon is not authorized by the company to sell it. Some said it was no problem but to me the chance wasn't worth it. Folica says they will take it back and replace it for a year under the warranty. Also with free shipping and the free flat iron I'm not at all unhappy with the price.

I just checked the link and today instead of the flat iron they have an additional $25 any order over $75 still with free shipping. I actually would rather have had that, but I'm still good.

CurlyLinZee 12-17-2010 07:02 PM

By strange coincidence,I found the FHI Heat Nano Weight Pro 1800 at Target tonight...selling for $80. Same technology and good reviews as the 2000, so I grabbed it. :blob4:

I took it out of the box to take a gander at it in the store--it's very light-weight. I'll try it out next time I style my hair (probably tomorrow) and report back whether I notice a difference between this and my old ionic hair dryer. The one thing it promises is that it will dry hair much faster...should also increase shine and condition.

I'll report back! I'm excited to try it out..

CurlyLinZee 12-18-2010 01:40 PM

Review of FHI Heat nano Weight Pro 1800

Okay, I tried it. This is a difficult review to do because there are more new factors in today's routine than just the new dryer. The bottom line: I'm having one of the best hair days in recent years today.

As for the dryer itself:

Pros: Overall, I like it very much. It's very lightweight and easy to handle; it's also much quieter than my old one. The diffuser fits on the dryer perfectly and does not appear as though it would ever pop off! :blob4:The cord is nice and long.

Cons: The 1800 model does not have heat settings, just fan (speed) settings--low and high. I noticed this last night after I got it home. I usually use low speed and both low and high heat. This one only allows one heat setting and it's f'ing HOT! Very hot. There is a cool shot button, though.

As for my hair, like I said, I'm having one of the best hair days ever! My hair is so much curlier that it's actually hanging about 3 inches shorter! (I guarantee that at least one person who sees me today will ask me if I got a perm and/or haircut...that's how dramatic the difference is.)

I'm going to post separately about these results though, because I did a few things differently than I usually do--and I really think it was the combo of things that made the overall difference. Not sure how much I could fairly attribute to the new hair dryer alone.

I have very, very little frizz, good definition, and some shine. I haven't added my JCNS yet, which is usually where I really get my shine from anyway. So can't say this dryer really added a lot of shine.

Since I saved all of the packing materials, I may take this dryer back and then get the 2000 model. I'm pretty sure that one had multiple heat settings.

All in all, the only bummer is that the heat is f'ing hot on this thing! (I was putting the diffuser up to my scalp and man, it was HOT!) :sad5:

ShrekLover 12-20-2010 10:37 AM

Thanks for the review. That's really strange that there is only one heat setting on that.

QVCDiva 01-01-2011 06:54 AM

I ordered this Solano yesterday through Folica.com. The price was $99 but I got $20 off ($20 off of $75+ order) plus will get another 8% off for going through Mr. Rebates. It's not $200 but definitely more than I've ever put into a dryer. I decided on the Solano brand based on the product reviews on Folica. Hoping that I will be pleased with it. I usually buy cheapy brands but decided to splurge this time.

Suburbanbushbabe 01-01-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburbanbushbabe (Post 1545523)
I have a T3 Evolution bought a few months ago on sale for $140 (good price). I love it - no frizz, it doesn't blow my hair around and it dries hair fast.

The T3 Evolution is on sale at sleekhair.com for $114.00
T3 Tourmaline Bespoke Labs Evolution Hair Blow Dryer - T3 Hair Products

Still loving it.

Suburbanbushbabe 01-01-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburbanbushbabe (Post 1545523)

The T3 Evolution is on sale at sleekhair.com for $114.00
T3 Tourmaline Bespoke Labs Evolution Hair Blow Dryer - T3 Hair Products

Still loving it.