When will it start??

I know some of you are going to think that I am crazy for asking this... When will I start getting symptoms of perimenopause? I am 43 years old and not showing any signs yet. As an early bloomer, I can't wait to see Aunt Flo pack her eggs and go.

Co-wash: VO5 Tea Therapy
Rinse Out: Garnier Sleek 'n Shine (subject to change)
Styler: Long Aid Curl Activator

Dislikes: Proteins (except occasional Silk protein), Cones, Oils
Banned
Not happened to me either!
I was just wondering what to expect when I reach this phase in my life so I looked it up. "Emotional symptoms include: anger, anxiety, depression, irritability, difficulty concentrating, dizziness, stress, fatigue, and mood swings." Aaaaaannnndddd...how is this different than the past 40+ years of my life?
2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"
I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
LOL. So funny, yet so true!

i believe it is different for each woman. i've read it can be anywhere from one year to 10 years in duration. and that the symptoms vary for each woman. so i guess the answer to your question is, no idea!
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
I agree it varies for each of us. I started in my early 50's. I'm 59 now and still get the occassional hot flash, but I feel I'm done and over it. TG! The hot flashes were so bad, plus the insomnia. Now I'm just left with lack of sexual desire. I think part of that is because old men, my age, just don't turn me on.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
UGH. It started for me at 38! But, that was because of my idiot endocrinologist and his antiquated, yet, mainstream opinion of thyroid treatment. My thyroid was so out of whack, I was experiencing all the classic symptoms of perimenopause. Thankfully, when I finally convinced him to put me on natural thyroid rather than syn-CRAP, I also changed doctors and within months started to feel like myself again.

I'm 45 now. And since straightening out my thyroid, I haven't had the symptoms return. So, I'm curious to see how long it takes. I hope it isn't too soon, though! Those symptoms were AWFUL. Being cranky and on fire all the time is NOT my idea of a good time. LOL!
Janet ~ Northern NJ
Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
My Picasa Album
What I used in this photo:
Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
Styling: CJCQ
UGH. It started for me at 38! But, that was because of my idiot endocrinologist and his antiquated, yet, mainstream opinion of thyroid treatment. My thyroid was so out of whack, I was experiencing all the classic symptoms of perimenopause. Thankfully, when I finally convinced him to put me on natural thyroid rather than syn-CRAP, I also changed doctors and within months started to feel like myself again.

I'm 45 now. And since straightening out my thyroid, I haven't had the symptoms return. So, I'm curious to see how long it takes. I hope it isn't too soon, though! Those symptoms were AWFUL. Being cranky and on fire all the time is NOT my idea of a good time. LOL!
Originally Posted by RacerWife7
what natural thyroid treatment are you referring to???
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
I'll be 43 soon and only sign I have is frequent periods. Like every 23-24 days, yuck. I have read that this is the 40 year old body trying desperately to get another baby before it winds down.

So either perimenopause or pre-peri-menopause, but a sign anyway.

I don't look forward to it, personally. I think that since we can live to 100, our first set of teeth should last at least 25 years before we get our adult teeth, or have multiple sets of teeth like a shark.....and we should start periods around 25 and end around 65 then be left with 35 years to raise those kids and see the first grandkids, stay healthy the whole time and die after we are 100. It's stupid that we end fertility halfway through. Not that I want more kids, I am all set with 4. Just that the timing is wrong for how long we live now.

Oh well. Maybe we will evolve to be different eventually.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
I can understand those that are not looking forward to it. I began maturing at the tender age of 9. Personally, I am tired of the cramps, having to use birth control when I am married and in a monogamous relationship, being caught off guard because I didn't keep track of the date. As a person that is always cold, a hot flash sounds very refreshing to me (at times). At work many females my age and older have a little fan at their desk for when they experience their "private summers." I am sitting at my desk looking at them like they are crazy because quite frankly it is freezing in there. I look like a bag lady. Scarves draped around me, wearing a sweater, sometimes my winter coat while I work (just trying to make light of the situation). In all seriousness, I am tired of dealing with this and I welcome the next chapter of my life.

I started with very heavy, frequent periods in my mid-thirties and finally (TG!!) had a hysterectomy at 37. I kept my ovaries, though. I had hot flashes while I was on tamoxifen (in an attempt to avoid the breast cancer that is rampant in my family). I've been off the tamoxifen for the past 6 years. The hot flashes returned a couple of years ago - when I was 46. And I have occasional insomnia. My moods are balanced - probably due to all of the yoga and meditation that I practice. Because I don't experience periods, it's hard to tell when I'll be done with the change. My sister, who is 18 months younger than me still gets a period every 6 months or so. I'm hoping I'll be done soon.....
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Well, I just turned 50 last week and think I'm officially in the menopause region since it's been almost a year since I last saw my monthly friend.

I think the perimenopause for me started when I was in my mid 30s when I suddenly didn't have enough flow to use tampons. However, the last few years, I experienced tremendously heavy flow which I think was a combination of perimenopause and being on coumadin for about 6 months in 2006 due to a blood clot. (The flow was never the same after I was on the blood thinners even after I no longer had to take them).
Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
BC: 01/30/09
Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/
I'm 48, and just this past year have I been getting any peri/menopause symptoms. Over the last 12 months, my periods have spaced out to every 3 or 4 months. And I get the occasional hot flash and sometimes have trouble sleeping all night. It's really not that bad. In fact, I'm rather enjoying my menopause, because I LIKE having so few periods. The flashes really aren't bad.

Originally Posted by RacerWife7
what natural thyroid treatment are you referring to???
Originally Posted by rbb
I was on Armour for a few years until "the shortage". When it started becoming hard to get, he put me on compounded thyroid (it's strictly thyroid and acidophilus - no cellulose as a filler). Armour IS now readily available again. So, he put me back on that about a month ago. I haven't noticed any difference between the two.

I actually FELT a difference within 3 days of starting on Armour. I was floored by that. I wasn't expecting to feel better for a few weeks, not a few days. Amazing the difference between being on synthetics and being on natural.
Janet ~ Northern NJ
My Picasa Album

Last edited by RacerWife7; 01-10-2011 at 03:51 AM.
I'm convinced I started when I was 38, though my doctor begs to differ (I'm 41 now). My cycles became heavy and irregular when they weren't previously. And I started getting night sweats. I often do sleep well but I do have a few nights here and there where I'll only get 3 hours of sleep, but I don't think that indicates major bouts of insomnia. I haven't had hot flashes, though.

I've been dealing with periods since I was 10 1/2 and I'm so done with them. Menopause can't come soon enough for me.
Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
BC'd: 9/18/09
Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
I'm convinced I started when I was 38, though my doctor begs to differ (I'm 41 now). My cycles became heavy and irregular when they weren't previously. And I started getting night sweats. I often do sleep well but I do have a few nights here and there where I'll only get 3 hours of sleep, but I don't think that indicates major bouts of insomnia. I haven't had hot flashes, though.

I've been dealing with periods since I was 10 1/2 and I'm so done with them. Menopause can't come soon enough for me.
Originally Posted by LadyV69
Yeah for 2 years my doctors told me I was crazy and too young. (Until I found another doctor who actually believed me, that is.) Then I found out that my maternal Grandmother started having the same issues at 36 - she also had thyroid issues like me. SO... I believe you. I've been there. So, I totally understand.
Janet ~ Northern NJ
My Picasa Album
I know some of you are going to think that I am crazy for asking this... When will I start getting symptoms of perimenopause? I am 43 years old and not showing any signs yet. As an early bloomer, I can't wait to see Aunt Flo pack her eggs and go.
Originally Posted by teejay
I don't think you're crazy at all! I began having perimenopausal symptoms at 36. They came on real strong: flooding periods, night sweats, hot flashes, sleep disturbances. All of those symptoms with the exception of the flooding periods have subsided a great deal. I can't remember the last time I had a hot flash!

I'm almost 48 and I just don't see any signs yet that I am getting close to menopause. My periods are still regular, every 29 - 31 days, although they have shortened in duration. I'm actually looking forward to menopause and a new phase in life. It can't get here soon enough!!
I WISH I was having symptoms! I'll be 54 in a month and there are no signs of pre, peri, or menopause. The only 'symptom' I have is my periods are closer together (every 2-3 weeks), are much heavier, and last alot longer. Yay me! : )
grumble grumble #%!!&^*!
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
i believe it is different for each woman. i've read it can be anywhere from one year to 10 years in duration. and that the symptoms vary for each woman. so i guess the answer to your question is, no idea!
Originally Posted by rbb
10 years?! Please, no. One year sounds bad enough. I thought it started around 50 and was a few bad months. Guess I should buy a book and educate myself. Any suggestions for a book or website?

I'm 42. I don't think I have any major signs yet... though I'm sure my hormones have changed a little over the years. My periods are heavier and come a few days sooner. They are right on schedule. I'm always cold, so hot flashes don't sound bad. Well, they didn't, until a co-worker said, "It isn't like being hot, it's like burning from the inside out." Ack! That doesn't sound good. What are the first subtle changes that we're headed in that direction?
power-surge is a good one.
Menopause, Menopause Symptoms, Menopause Treatments, Menopause Support
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd

Trending Topics