Birth Control for over 40

I am hormone sensitive so the Pill is not an option. And the IUD gave me VERY painful side effects. The Nuvaring resulted in an unexpected pregnancy at 44 (so much for my biological clock).... I vote for condoms or a diaphram.
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
jeep, what did you have done? I would love it if the old hag would never visit again!
Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote - CFF Champ
tubes tied. doesn't prevent the old hag from visiting me every 2-3 weeks, but did prevent rugrats which was much more important.
I'm thinking about giving Seasonique a try as I am so sick of these periods. I tried Seasonale and didn't like it at all. Lots of spotting for weeks on end so after a good 6 months try, I just went back to having periods. But I've read that Seasonique is better so we'll see.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
I had a hysterectomy (keeping my ovaries) at age 37. Absolutely fool-proof method of birth control! Of course I had already had a tubal with my final c-section, but still.....
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Banned
jeep, what did you have done? I would love it if the old hag would never visit again!
Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote - CFF Champ
tubes tied. doesn't prevent the old hag from visiting me every 2-3 weeks, but did prevent rugrats which was much more important.
I'm thinking about giving Seasonique a try as I am so sick of these periods. I tried Seasonale and didn't like it at all. Lots of spotting for weeks on end so after a good 6 months try, I just went back to having periods. But I've read that Seasonique is better so we'll see.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
Oh, ok...yeah, I'd def rec the Seasonique. You do have to stay w/ the Seasonale a bit, but I think it's totally worth it! g/l
I have a mirena and I love it.

I tried NFP, but my leuteal phase was too short and we could only have relations for a VERY short time. I can't use a diaphragm due to pain issues. Dh hated condoms because he is large and I have latex allergy (believe me...you do NOT want itching down there!!) and the non-latex condoms didn't come in a bigger size. Plus, 95% of the time, they'd fall off!! I was interested in a tubal. My dr recommended the Mirena because I was also having terrible heavy periods between being over 40 and having Hashimoto's. My only problem was with insertion. I about went through the roof. Some people have had problems with side-effects. I have not. I am more than thrilled. We have spontaneity again and no more gushing...
I have a question which I hope fits into this thread. Suppose you're an older (late 40s) woman who tolerates the pill well with no problems, and stays on it for years... how do you know when menopause has arrived? As I understand it, all the periods we have while on the pill are triggered by the pill's hormones.
No one on depo-provera? (injection) I have been on it since my early 20's--now 40--and I haven't had a period for most of my adult life, which is AWESOME! My doctor has never said when I would have to go off it, but I have often wondered the same thing as Poochie about menopause.
Sue

Axed the perpetual ponytail and went curly on 1/6/2011.
Hair Properties: 3a/b, fine-medium texture, thick density, normal porosity.
Still experimenting with
products and routine.
So far, I like: FSG, GTTTT, V05 Conditioners, protein treatments, this towel.

"Well, as soon as we get ourselves cleaned up and we get a little smellum in our hair, why, we're gonna feel 100% better about ourselves and about life in general." - Ulysses Everett McGill
I have a question which I hope fits into this thread. Suppose you're an older (late 40s) woman who tolerates the pill well with no problems, and stays on it for years... how do you know when menopause has arrived? As I understand it, all the periods we have while on the pill are triggered by the pill's hormones.
Originally Posted by Poochie

My SIL went off the pill at 42, hoping to have another baby, to discover that she had already gone through menopause and didn't even know it.

You can have blood tests done at some point to ascertain if menopause has occured.
I just wanted to chime in and say I'm in my fifth year on the Mirena and it has been a Godsend. I was a sufferer of heavy cyclces that lasted five to seven days and now I may have a cycle every three/four months. I have suffered no ill side effects and I do plan to get another Mirena in August when this one expires. I'd describe the insertion like one really big menstrual cramp! It was worth the one time insurance co-payment of $25. I'll definitely be looking into planned parenthood to see what assistance they can provide since I'm currently on lay off. HTH!

Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
I just wanted to chime in and say I'm in my fifth year on the Mirena and it has been a Godsend. I was a sufferer of heavy cyclces that lasted five to seven days and now I may have a cycle every three/four months. I have suffered no ill side effects and I do plan to get another Mirena in August when this one expires. I'd describe the insertion like one really big menstrual cramp! It was worth the one time insurance co-payment of $25. I'll definitely be looking into planned parenthood to see what assistance they can provide since I'm currently on lay off. HTH!
Originally Posted by Kinky Rhonnie
I'm glad the Mirena is working well for you. I had one a few years ago, it was working well then somehow it twisted, so it had to come out. The hormone shift combined with a fibroid I had caused massive bleeding. I was in the hospital for a week, with blood transfusions and eventually a UFE.

Just be careful and discuss bleeding, etc. with your doctor before you have it removed/replaced.If they insert a new one right after removing the old one you probably won't have an issue.

Trending Topics