Birth Control for over 40

What's your foolproof method 40+ ladies?
Not 40+ quite yet, getting there soon though, next year.

I use an IUD, easy, secure, no hastle especially if you have a busy life. You can have one with or without hormones, those without are a little less safe. Have used them safely for almost 20 years now.
Wurly 2b/2c/3a Miii - high porosity

Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

Sodomy non sapiens.

- Terry Pratchett
I'm still on the first bc pill I started out on decades ago (Modicon), but I take what is supposedly the generic version now (Necon). I have no probs with it. Back then, it was a relatively low dose pill. Now, probably not. About 10-15 years ago, I tried changing to a lower dose, more "modern" pill and I didn't feel well on it (was the only thing that I changed, and I was on it for 2 months). So I am sticking with the old thing.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
My 5yr time is up in Apr to remove the IUD. I haven't had any issues with it. I don't have health insurance right now and I know it's going to cost a lot for a new one. Even the pill, wonder what that is without Ins. So the old rule of no BC pill for women over 30 doesn't apply anymore?
I could be wrong on this, but I thought that Planned Parenthood (if you have one near you) will help women without insurance get birth control, and not always just handing them condoms.

I have asked my primary doc and my gyno about 45 being too old for the pill. They both told me that as long as I don't have the risk factors (smoking, etc.), that I am fine to stay on it if it's working for me.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!

Last edited by Spiralli; 01-08-2011 at 10:36 AM.
I could be wrong on this, but I thought that Planned Parenthood (if you have one near you) will help women without insurance get birth control, and not always just handing them condoms.

I have asked my primary doc and my gyno about 45 being too old for the pill. They both told me that as long as I don't have the risk factors (smoking, etc.), that I am fine to stay on it if it's working for me.
Originally Posted by Spiralli
ah yes good suggestion, my husband's new job doesn't offer H.Ins. I've never been without it every so this is weird. We'll have to get some kind of catastrophic type I'm sure. Good point too about the risk factors, I think I read that somewhere before. It's been so long since I've had this talk with my Gyn. but I'll ask. Thanks Spiralli.
I had to stop BC pills because they whacked my blood pressure. Two babies later I got an IUD, it works and I don't feel it. I have the copper one, it is good for 10 years, not 5. It doesn't stop your periods like the Mirena, but I was hormone-shy as blood pressure is nothing to mess around with. There are only those two kinds in the U.S.; I think in Europe they have others.

I didn't have the kind of insurance that paid for it, either. But it works out a lot cheaper in the long run than pills. Think 10 years times 13 lunar months times $25, that's $3,250. Even if you have to put the IUD on a credit card you could pay it off in a year and be done with cost for 9 years.

So to me it made the most sense, health, convenience, effectiveness and cost-wise and it's worked fine.

Risk is if you get one and don't like it, all that $ down the drain. And it doesn't do anything to make the periods lighter, like pills do, or stop them, like the Mirena IUD. So those I would say are the downside.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
really be careful if you are considering the pill. my friend who was 51 last spring was given the pill by her gyn, really i think to control overly long periods. she told my friend if she only stayed on it 1 year it was safe.
well, fast forward to last july, a couple of months later, and she was rushed to the hospital in excruciating pain where they found lots of blood clots in her lungs. she is okay now, has to stay on coumadin for a year, then maybe on it for life of maybe just aspirin.
she had NO risk factors, either.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
I'm of the minority here on this, I'm sure. I have major health issues with hormones. So, taking the pill is just NOT an option for me. I really don't like the idea of the IUD. So, I passed on that suggestion from my GYN. We just use condoms. That's it. They work and they're cheap.
Janet ~ Northern NJ
Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
My Picasa Album
What I used in this photo:
Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
Styling: CJCQ
I was on Yasmin bc pills until I turned 40. My husband and I discussed options. He got a vasectomy. It was an amazingly quick procedure... 100% effective... no negative effects on sex life.

The one thing that I miss about the bc pill was the lighter period. Mine is inconveniently heavy on day 2. It also comes every 20-22 days. I was hoping it was just an adjustment to discontinuing the pill. However, it's a couple of years later and still just as bad.
I haven't had a real period in years and I really don't want to start again. I like the idea of the Mirena and not the copper one Robin solely for that reason. rbb that is scary stuff........I don't even mind condoms less messy but at this age I imagine our periods are really heavy....and crampy EEEeeeeeeek!
My husband had a vasectomy after our last baby was born 10 years ago. It's been awesome. I highly recommend it.

"They" say it's safe, but I wouldn't take birth control pills after 40 if you paid me.
Banned
ita w/ Spiralli.....
I second having the hubby get a vasectomy. My hubby had it done when our youngest was not quite a year old - almost 14 years ago. It was easy peasy and I would highly recommend it. Since you are without health insurance, I realize cost is an issue although I have no idea how much one costs. Hubby was active duty at the time and it was basically free.

I would not want be on any hormonal BC after the age of 40 - I don't trust that it's as "safe" as they say. I would use a barrier method: diaphragm, sponge, or condoms.
I haven't had a real period in years and I really don't want to start again. I like the idea of the Mirena and not the copper one Robin solely for that reason. rbb that is scary stuff........I don't even mind condoms less messy but at this age I imagine our periods are really heavy....and crampy EEEeeeeeeek!
Originally Posted by DEL2C
Heavy, yes. Crampy, no.

I think if you find a subsidised place to get the Mirena one put in (county or Planned Parenthood), it would likely be affordable, and if it's not causing you any problems now, why change? Get another 5 years.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
I've been on BC pills off and on for about 20 years. Right now I'm on Seasonique. Just before I went on it, my periods went from a 26 day cycle to totally irregular. Plus they lasted about 7 days. I specifically asked for Seasonique as you only get it 4 times a year and I was sick of the irregularity of my cycles. I have inquired about the IUD, but my ob-gyn won't put me on it since I've never had children. I haven't pursued the issue since within the next 10 years or so, it'll be a moot point for me and I'm used to the pill, so I figure I won't fix something that isn't broken.
Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
BC'd: 9/18/09
Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
I had a tubal ligation about 10 years ago, mid-30's (would have done it waaaaay earlier but was told insurance considered me too young).

No complications, and definitely no regrets. I was single at the time, but I would still do it now that I'm married.

edit: how'd I miss all those middle posts, didn't catch that the insurance wasn't available... my personal experience is that this worked for me but without insurance I'd have probably moved to barrier methods if hormonal BC was not a comfortable option for me.

Last edited by RebeccaK; 01-11-2011 at 04:05 PM.
I used birth control pills for nearly 10 years (thank you Planned Parenthood). Then in my mid-20's I got myself 'spayed'. : ) Best thing I ever did. Insurance covered most of it luckily.
But without insurance I would have continued getting my birth control pills at Planned Parenthood.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
really be careful if you are considering the pill. my friend who was 51 last spring was given the pill by her gyn, really i think to control overly long periods. she told my friend if she only stayed on it 1 year it was safe.
well, fast forward to last july, a couple of months later, and she was rushed to the hospital in excruciating pain where they found lots of blood clots in her lungs. she is okay now, has to stay on coumadin for a year, then maybe on it for life of maybe just aspirin.
she had NO risk factors, either.
Originally Posted by rbb
My doc gave me BC samples to try when I was in my upper 40's for the same reason, to control heavy & lengthy periods. I couldn't handle it emotionally. It really made me an emotional wreck. Had to stop taking them.
3a/medium texture/normal porosity
Banned
jeep, what did you have done? I would love it if the old hag would never visit again!

Trending Topics