Recommendations for a matte makeup?

Like Tree4Likes

I actually do better with the light-reflecting semi sheer stuff, but Avon has a very good, full coverage, matte but not drying new foundation, called Ideal Flawless, cheap and spf 15 without chemical sunscreen. It's good, buildable coverage so you can put a little all over then dab more where you need it no problem.

I do sell Avon but not on here - I do wholeheartedly recommend their makeup. The quality-to-price ratio is unbeatable.

But as far as hiding flaws - I do kind of think that the mineral makeup or the sheer light reflecting stuff works a little better than full-coverage makeup, I suppose it's a YMMV thing.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
Definitely a YMMV thing. Anything that's billed as "light reflecting" or "illuminating" is a fail for me.
Definitely a YMMV thing. Anything that's billed as "light reflecting" or "illuminating" is a fail for me.
Originally Posted by Verity
Same for me.
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Experimenting with cones & sulfates while the dews are high.
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
I really like Cargo Liquid Foundation. Not shiny and great coverage. I have oily skin and prefer a matte finish. Although it doesn't bill itself specifically as matte, it leans that way.

Cargo Cosmetics > Liquid Foundation
This is so much a YMMV thing - for one thing, it depends on your skin type. If one is oily, then a matte makeup often works very well. Powder-based and certain mineral makeups come to mind. However, if one is at all dry, going completely matte in the hopes of covering up flaws can backfire - the face can look flat and lifeless. Then something with a bit of luminosity can really look a lot better. Luminosity does not have to be really shimmery or sparkly either. The better-formulated foundations have very finely milled light-reflecting particles that do really give a nice finish without looking OTT at all. I do better with a bit of luminosity myself, and save matte for some(but not all)of my eyeshadows.
What does OTT mean?

Completely matte makeup doesn't work that well for me anymore (except in my t-zone), but most illuminating products I've tried give me a look that I think is too shiny. Also, I still have to be careful to choose products that are oil free. I think it's totally unfair that I'm almost 50 and still have to worry about acne.
Banned
I'd like to try a matte foundation because I know from painting my apartment that matte paint hides flaws better than shiny, (semi-matte or satin finish) paint. When I have tried some of the foundations for "aging" skin, they aren't matte - they have that light dispersing or light reflecting finish which looks shiny on me, and I don't think it hides imperfections as well as a matte finish would. I think it's a selling gimmick. (My skin is very good for my age, (not being boastful, just want to be frank) but I have quite a few freckles and some age spots which I am treating with renova.

Any suggestions? I can use a moisturizer underneath if it is too dry. It is the matte finish I am after and good coverage. I need a light ivory-ish color. Thanks!
Originally Posted by curlypearl
A matte finish is a lot less flattering on skin, especially aging skin. You should even out your skin tone with regular foundation that helps give you a glow then spot treat the age spots with concealer and a concealer brush or a thicker stick foundation only on those areas. You shouldn't try to hide freckles you'd have to wear your makeup like a mask. I don't have age spots but I do get breakouts sometimes that leave dark spots for a few months and this is how I conceal them. People think I have perfect skin and never know I'm wearking foundation or concealer.
@Verity - OTT means "over the top".
First I'll give my recs: Maybelline Dream Mousse (in the bottle); and Maybelline Instant Rewind. Rewind has SPF; Dream Mousse does not. I love both, and I am going to be 60 with relatively no wrinkles except for some "smile" lines. I dont necessarily think that a matte finish is better; it depends on "how" matte, just like a more luminous finish depends on how much shine. I agree that a metallic finish is not cool! but also I dont believe in really expensive cosmetics. Maybelline is owned by Estee Lauder, and L'Oreal and Lancome are the same company. The difference is packaging and advertising, and you can try on the expensive ones. However, any Walgreens or CVS will give you your money back no questions if you dont like any item. Walgreens once took back a cool mist vaporizer that I dropped and cracked!
I just bought Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Treatment Makeup. It has an SPF 18 and cames with a soft spong attached applicater. It's my first week using it and I'm LOVING it so far! The coverage is a smooth solid finish with no creasing or wearing off.

The only issues was tring to pick the correct color as they have a large verity to choose from. Lucky me, I got it right from my first pick.

I like Maybelline a lot. You might want to try the Dream Mousse also. It has a slightly lighter texture. I switch off.
I like Maybelline a lot. You might want to try the Dream Mousse also. It has a slightly lighter texture. I switch off.
Originally Posted by Myrna
I thought about trying Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse Airbrush Finish but keep reading that it turns oily after awhile and I didn't have to deal with that being an issue.

I'm very happy with the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Treatment Makeup.

There is a wonderful site called makeupalley.com, the makeup equivalent of this site. thousands of products are reviewed; and you can select out reviewers by age. for example, it is not useful for me to know how a foundation reacts on a 20 year old; but it IS useful for me to know how one reacts on someone my age with slightly "combination" skin. Check it out!
Ms CP, there are two that I personally like. Estee Lauder Lucidity Light Diffusing makeup. You can stop at any Estee Lauder counter and they should be able to give you a sample or two.

For drugstore variety, I'm pretty happy with Revlon Photo Ready. I always buy my drugstore makeup at Walgreen's because they accept returns with no problem. I think CVS has the same return policy.

Now, I know you said you don't like the light diffusing variety but I use both of these with great success. I also follow the foundation with Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder (old school!) and it works great. I have not found a better face power than this one and I've been using it since the 70's. I buy "translucent" and apply it with a nice fluffy powder brush.

Coty*Airspun Loose Face Powder | Walgreens

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
There is a wonderful site called makeupalley.com, the makeup equivalent of this site. thousands of products are reviewed; and you can select out reviewers by age. for example, it is not useful for me to know how a foundation reacts on a 20 year old; but it IS useful for me to know how one reacts on someone my age with slightly "combination" skin. Check it out!
Originally Posted by Myrna
I totally agree with you there - makeupalley.com is the first source I go to before investing money into anything.
curlypearl likes this.

Thanks for the explanation of "OTT."

makeupalley is good, but there is SO much information to sift through. It's great if you already have a product in mind and want more information, but if you're starting from scratch (for instance, trying to figure out the best type of foundation for someone of your age and skin type), it's not as much help. That's why I always post makeup questions here first--I get names of specific products as a starting point.

Walgreen's will take back open makeup? Wow.
Bare minerals has a matte foundation that I love love love. I get many compliments about my "beautiful complexion". If they only knu...my skin is oily & I suffer w/ hormonal acne too-blemishes...long story short, its the bomb!

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
Yes, I agree about Makeupalley.com And yes, Walgreens and CVS will accept returns - no problem.
I have used Corn Silk powder for years. I use the same stuff I used to use in the 80's. Now, BEWARE! There is the Sally Hansen Corn Silk powder sold here in the US, but it is not the same formulation. The original has walnut powder in it. I have very oily skin. It's turned out to be a good thing. I am 40 but look 30...so it keeps me looking young...but the shine has to go! I buy my Corn Silk powder from Weston's Internet Home Health based out the UK. It is the BEST THING I have found to keep down shine.

Soooo, I can't believe I shared my secret! I hope you like it if you try it!!!
3b curls...strong highlighted brown/blonde hair/ wacky hair and crunchy to boot!

"Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." -
-- Mark Twain
I may try Photo Ready since it is oil-free. Maybelline's Age Rewind doesn't bill itself as oil-free on its site, so I have to assume it has oil of some kind.

I have been using Laura Mercier oil-free tinted moisturizer, but I am convinced it is clogging my pores. How could that be if it is oil-free?

Trending Topics