Recommendations for a matte makeup?

Like Tree4Likes

I have Age Rewind, the kind without the applicator and just read the ingredients. No oils are listed. If you buy it at Walgreens or CVS, and it doesnt work for you, they will take it back. I did not like Photo REady at all. As for LM, I dont know, I have never tried it. I dont believe in high end makeup, as I have never been convinced it is superior to the drug store kind, and often are owned by the same companies. Lancome, for example, is owned by L'Oreal, and I believe Estee Lauder is owned by Maybelline. The diff is in packaging and in advertising. And the target populations. I do like Age Rewind, and I also love Dream Mousse, the kind in the bottle.
I'll take a look at the ingredients. Part of the reason I can't get excited about Maybelline is that they never have a shade that works for me--I always have to mix two shades, and that's just kind of a pain, plus it's an issue when traveling. (Only so much liquid fits in one of those tiny plastic bags.) On the other hand, two bottles of their makeup are still cheaper than one bottle of a high-end brand!
Interesting! one of the reasons I look at Maybelline is that they DO have a shade that works well for me - I am very fair, and slightly pink, and despite some "wisdom" that says we should wear foundation with a yellow undercast, that doesnt work for me at all. I dont like it. So their porcelain ivory works really well for me. Rewind re-named that shade to something else but it still works.
Pur Minerals is my new fave mineral makeup.

I use the 4-in-1 compact and I don't wear any makeup other than mascara now, because it makes my skin look so good.

4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Foundation :: Natural Mineral Powder Foundation, SPF 15 Makeup :: Pür Minerals

here's the main site for their other products

Welcome to Beauty Pür and Simple :: Pür Minerals
shoulder length inverted bob; fine; 3A-3B; med-thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; seems to hate moisturizing products and oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

receive $10 off 1st order of $40 & up, or $5 off on smaller orders, when using iHERB code: GIK909
I find that Maybelline colors tend toward yellowish tones, which is good for me, but I still can't find a shade that isn't too dark. I end up having to mix the lightest shade (which is, invariably, pink-toned) with a darker shade.

Just FYI, Cover Girl makeup runs very pink, IMHO.

Also, I was also skimming a magazine article that suggests that wearing a makeup shade that is a dead-on match for a pale skin tone can make woman look older. Maybe I have the right idea in going for a TM shade that adds just a little color to my skin. (Don't worry--I blend carefully along the jaw and hairline.)

Last edited by Verity; 12-07-2011 at 08:01 AM.
I am really struggling with makeup right now.

I have been using Laura Mercier oil-free tinted moisturizer. It's ok on my t-zone, but it leaves my cheeks looking sort of dry even though it's supposedly a moisturizer. I can't use the regular (not oil-free) version because I'm still prone to breakouts. Has anyone found a tinted moisturizer that gives decent coverage?

I tried Maybelline Dream Mousse liquid on my cheeks today. I thought it looked great in the bathroom mirror, but when I looked in the mirror in the car I was horrified. It highlighted my wrinkles and made my pores look humongous. Is there any kind of oil-free foundation that won't make my skin look dry? (As I mentioned upthread, Stila is a fail for me.)

Also need a daytime undereye cream (currently using Kiss My Face Eye Witness, but don't love it) and a concealer that doesn't make the skin under my eyes look like snake skin. I am a mess!
I really like Maybelline Dream Mousse liquid foundation, and as I said in an earlier post, I also like Maybelline's Instant Rewind. Instant rewind also comes in a concealor, and a "brightener" (I have both, very little difference but I have a slight preference for the brightener, which I also use on my "smile" lines). I understand that l'Oreal recently came out with a new foundation - L'Oreal is the same company as Lancome - but what I really suggest is that you look up reviews on makeupalley.com. You can filter the reviews by age, which I find very helpful, as what a 20-something thinks is great is going to be very different than what a 50-something thinks. But I repeat my mantra: I dont think the high priced department store makeups are all that different from the drug store ones, as we know from comparing hair products on this site.
Very interesting responses! I find that the makeups that are supposed to blur your lines and are very moisturizing are too shiny on me. I don't really have much in the way of lines, although I have some annoying age spots.

I think maybe a good concealer would help me a lot.

Thanks for suggestions! I get good ideas from this website.
2/c and some 3A.
Protein sensitive but can use occasionally
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
Do you use a loose powder over your foundation?
I'm back to Laura Mercier. I'm not 100% sold on it; it's just the best thing I've found. I looked again at tinted moisturizers when I went to Sephora recently. Love the texture of Bobbi Brown's oil-free TM, but they don't make a shade for me. It's the same story with Smashbox. I'm steering clear of Stila after my experience with their foundation.

For daytime eye cream, I looked at Lancome Progres because of good reviews on makeupalley.com, but it is SO sticky. No. I ended up with Clinique All About Eyes (All About Eyes | Eye & Lip Care | Skin Care | Clinique ). I don't love it, but it seems a little better than the Kiss My Face product I've been using. Maybe I am just expecting too much from an eye cream.
Verity, do you ever check Paula Begoun's site for recs? I know that one of the things she has said is that eye creams are no different than facial moisturizers, so I personally do not buy eye creams for that reason.

What kind of shade do you need? You know, Avon makes just about every shade imaginable...that is one thing I like about Avon, it covers all the colors of the rainbow.
I've been trying to avoid powder, but I know that would help mattify. The color I like best on me is Nars Fiji. It comes in something called sheer matte, but it isn't all that matte. I might try it with a very sheer powder on top.

At least I finally found a foundation that's the right color for my skin! A lot of the time the foundations make me I look like a ghost and bronzers don't seem to look good on me.

The Nars Fiji has a slight peach tone which works well for my skintone. It's expensive! It doesn't have as much coverage as I would like. I still need to find a good concealer.
2/c and some 3A.
Every day is a gift
I would try Loreal Truematch I found it to be amazing (inexpensive & easily returned). Medium coverage, skin looks moisturized. N u dont need a brush u can use ur finger.

I am also a lover of maybelline age rewind concealer it is highly pigmented. N I have found if it is to light u can jus add some Loreal to it for the perfect match.

U should also try a primer to avoid cake face. I use baremineral primetime. The mineral viel is also a great finishing powder very light tinted pink. I am pretty dark n it doesnt ruin my look at all.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
Thans, Chell for your input. I was told that L'oreal is actually made by Lancome - often they just put the same product into 2 different bottles - one for Lancome and one for L'oreal! So you might be getting a very high-end makeup at a drugstore price.

I actually prefer a less "moisturized" look. The sheen from moisture doesn't seem to look good on me.

The search goes on.
2/c and some 3A.
Every day is a gift
No problem. I seen that in the previous post Ill def be checking ingredients from now on. But if you get the right powder you can control that. I also use mac studio fix powder on top of loreal (in place of my mineral veil). It gives more coverage & helps get that matte finish (N it easier to drag the powder down to my neck for that even color).

I been experimenting a lot lately lol.I tried Proactiv n had to do alot to fix the damage it did to my skin.

But there are tutorials on youtube on most of the products I used. If u check out Sunkissalba (she did tutorial on the loreal & maybelline products).

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
I recently switched foundations and have been thrilled with it. I have sensitive skin and my skin can be red at times. Vichy Aera Teinte Cream foundation (tube) is amazing. I still use a primer underneath; I find that the primer makes a huge difference for all foundations. My current fav primer is Lancome's La Base. Vichy Aera Teinte also comes in a liquid foundation for oilier skin.

I get excellent, long lasting coverage with this foundation. I've tried Bobbi Brown, Clinique, Lancôme, Meow Mineral Fundation - my skin looks best with Vichy.
Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
I'm looking for a new foundation as well. I've been using the Laura Mercier TM, but this thread made me think there might be something better out there. I've always liked FrizzBgone's hair care recs and they've worked for me...but where do you find Vichy? I googled, couldn't find a source in the US. (and of course, this is the one I want to try)
I just bought a new foundation that I actually like a lot and it got high ratings on makeupalley.com Its L'Oreal's Infallible 16 hour makeup. I found my exact shade; and while I often prefer a more luminous finish, I am liking this one.
I wear and like Nars sheer matte

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
Blog:www.curlygirlie85.blogspot.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/sophiams85
my blog
http://curlygirlie85.blogspot.com/
Its a beauty, natural hair, food, family, and life all combined into one blog. I took a break from it for awhile but I recently started blogging again and Im addicted!

my tumblr natural inspirations and beauty: http://sophiams85.tumblr.com/

Has anyone found a tinted moisturizer that gives decent coverage?
Originally Posted by Verity
I don't think they're meant to offer any coverage, only a bit of color. I've tried quite a few, and none of them covered at all. They just don't work for me - I don't think I'd like them even if I didn't have anything to camouflage.

L'Oreal is the same company as Lancome
Originally Posted by Myrna
So is Maybelline - probably why some of their foundations, etc. do work better than you might expect of an inexpensive drugstore line.

Verity, do you ever check Paula Begoun's site for recs? I know that one of the things she has said is that eye creams are no different than facial moisturizers, so I personally do not buy eye creams for that reason.
Originally Posted by Myrna
I've so disagreed with her about most things that I tried that she recommended that I've quit paying much attention to her, LOL!

I've been trying to avoid powder, but I know that would help mattify . . . I might try it with a very sheer powder on top.
Originally Posted by curlypearl
I almost always have to use a light dusting of loose powder over any foundation, otherwise I'm oily as can be in no time - my skin is still quite oily for my age.

U should also try a primer to avoid cake face. I use baremineral primetime. The mineral viel is also a great finishing powder very light tinted pink. I am pretty dark n it doesnt ruin my look at all.
Originally Posted by ChellB_fro
My skin hates primers, and I've tried many, many - it just doesn't like the silicones, any more than my hair does, LOL

Can't stand Mineral Veil, personally - much too much mica. It leaves me too glowy and shiny. I just don't like BE in general.

I was told that L'oreal is actually made by Lancome - often they just put the same product into 2 different bottles - one for Lancome and one for L'oreal! So you might be getting a very high-end makeup at a drugstore price.

I actually prefer a less "moisturized" look. The sheen from moisture doesn't seem to look good on me.
Originally Posted by curlypearl
I agree about the less moisturized look - I like the idea of a dewy finish, but it just doesn't work for me. I end up looking like an oil slick in just a little while.

As for L'Oreal/Lancome, as mentioned above, the same may also apply to Maybelline. However, of the Lancome products I've really liked over the years, I've rarely found a truly comparable product in either of the other lines.

Though I like both Meow and Illuminare, recently I've been going back to my old stand-by of over 20 years of using Lancome Effacernes Waterproof Undereye Concealer as my foundation - weird, I know, but it works for me, except, oddly, as any undereye concealer. I pat it on with my fingers and it provides excellent buildable coverage where I need it, yet it doesn't look weird if I use nothing except a final dusting of powder where I don't need coverage. None of the Maybelline or L'Oreal concealers compare to it, at least for me.

Just in case you're interested, CurlyPearl, here's a more detailed review I did of it a long time ago on makeupalley.com

www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=5869

If you keep it set on Most Helpful, it's the first review (by auntnett); otherwise, it's so long ago, it gets lost.

(ETA the link above so I could get rid of the long full review here)
curlypearl likes this.
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Last edited by WurlyLox; 01-23-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Trending Topics