CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Over 40 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/)
-   -   Recommendations for a matte makeup? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/122093-recommendations-matte-makeup.html)

curlypearl 03-01-2011 06:49 AM

Recommendations for a matte makeup?

I'd like to try a matte foundation because I know from painting my apartment that matte paint hides flaws better than shiny, (semi-matte or satin finish) paint. When I have tried some of the foundations for "aging" skin, they aren't matte - they have that light dispersing or light reflecting finish which looks shiny on me, and I don't think it hides imperfections as well as a matte finish would. I think it's a selling gimmick. (My skin is very good for my age, (not being boastful, just want to be frank) but I have quite a few freckles and some age spots which I am treating with renova.

Any suggestions? I can use a moisturizer underneath if it is too dry. It is the matte finish I am after and good coverage. I need a light ivory-ish color. Thanks!:toothy4:

eche428 03-01-2011 07:42 AM

Hi CP!

I recommend Meow Mineral Makeup.

I've tried various drug store brands and also Bare Escentuals/ Bare Minerals and my skin hated all of them. Breakouts; oily skin very quickly after application; my pores looked HUGE; plus over the course of a day it did not wear well at all. I always looked bad within hours of using these. Plus the makeup felt very thick/heavy on my skin.

On the recommendation of (I think) someone here I tried Meow Cosmetics mineral makeup. I really like this stuff and it wears really well. I've had no breakouts from it. It doesn't seem to make me oilier like the others did and best of all it has no preservatives, no silica, no parabens and no bismuth. It's pretty much pure minerals and non-comedogenic. You also don't have to swirl and buff it on like the others so the process of applying is gentle. I have Rosacea so I have to be really gentle with my skin. I use a big puffy brush and just dab it on. The other good things about this company are: they sell samples for $1 so you can try different colors to get one that will work for you without breaking the bank (Love that!) and they have two different formulas. One lighter and one heavier for days when you need more coverage. I found the color that work for me and then bought that color in both types of coverage. On bad skin days I can break out the heavy stuff and it really makes me feel better going out in the world.

I love this stuff and highly recommend it.

ETA: http://www.meowcosmetics.com/

crazywaves 03-01-2011 07:58 AM

I rarely ever wear makeup so I dont spend alot on something I am going to throw way barely used.

Cover girl has a new matte finish foundation its called natureluxe. I am over 40 so I use a light moisturizer underneath it helps me get more even coverage. Worth a try since its only about $14.00 a tube and you should be able to get it anywhere.

RacerWife7 03-01-2011 04:15 PM

You might also consider using a "creme to powder" foundation. Mary Kay makes one that's $14. But, I'm sure some of the drugstore brands must also make them, as well.

Spiralli 03-01-2011 05:58 PM

I got tired of the shine I was getting in my Jane Iredale loose powder, and the color I had been using was starting too look a little off for my skintone.

I have just started playing with Illuminare' liquid mineral makeup. It comes in 3 finishes -- dewy, semi-matte and matte. They have a sampler of 3 of their "best selling shades" in all 3 finishes, for $10. If, by chance, you might be their Sienna Sun color, let me know. That shade is definitely too dark for me (I haven't even broken the seal on the samples). If the shade can work for you, PM me and I will be glad to send you the 3 samples in that shade.

RebeccaK 03-02-2011 05:00 AM

I also have the "Florentine Fair" shade (posted in the 'other beauty products swap board') that I'd be glad to send you. Their lightest (sample) shade is way too dark for me... I have to decide whether I want to buy the full size to try it. I REALLY liked how it felt and the coverage but the full size is pricey if it turns out to be the wrong shade again. =)

Feel free to PM if you want the "Florentine Fair" set of samples!

curlypearl 03-02-2011 06:44 AM

Thanks everyone for responding. :love10: I don't really know what color/shade I am. I'm going to try some of the brands you suggested...it's like trying to find out what works with my hair.

kasden 03-02-2011 08:17 AM

Not a matte finish, but for those with the dark samples...I have a bottle of foundation that is way too dark for me. I add a couple of drops to my SPF moisturizer and make my own tinted moisturizer. It works great!

I'm interested to know if you find a matte foundation CP. Let us know, okey dokey?

Beebop 03-02-2011 08:41 AM

I have very sensitive skin and still love the Bare Minerals foundation and they now have a matte version of the foundation as well. I tend to be very dry on my cheeks so it looked and felt a little too drying for me but if you have normal or oily skin it seems to work great for other I've talked with. It doesn't have the Bismuth oxychloride in it and thats why I tried it because I thought it was making my itch...but it turned out that wasn't the problem so I went back to the original since it feels so creamy. HTH! I'm going to look at the Meow minerals though since I've never heard of it, sounds interesting.

eche428 03-03-2011 10:20 AM

Not trying to push Meow but there's a thread going in the Makeup section all about Meow. You might want to check it out.

WurlyLox 03-03-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiralli (Post 1598973)
I got tired of the shine I was getting in my Jane Iredale loose powder, and the color I had been using was starting too look a little off for my skintone.

I have just started playing with Illuminare' liquid mineral makeup. It comes in 3 finishes -- dewy, semi-matte and matte. They have a sampler of 3 of their "best selling shades" in all 3 finishes, for $10. If, by chance, you might be their Sienna Sun color, let me know. That shade is definitely too dark for me (I haven't even broken the seal on the samples). If the shade can work for you, PM me and I will be glad to send you the 3 samples in that shade.

Ya'll are the first here I've ever "heard" mention Illuminare - no one's ever seemed to have heard of it when I've mentioned it a couple of times - I was just about to suggest it.

I definitely recommend the sampler first, but it sounds like you might be a Portofino Porcelain, CurlyPearl. They do also have an even lighter Amalfi Alabaster, but it doesn't come in the sample kit.
I'm quite fair, but I can get away with Florentine Fair if I blend carefully.

The Ultimate All Day forumla is quite matte and takes a little practice blending it before it sets. The Extra Coverage Concealing formula is what I usually use because it covers my brown spots and broken capillaries better yet is still not shiny/frosty/dewy.

Illuminare Liquid Mineral Cosmetics

Their blush is good, too. I like having a non-powder option. Haven't been able to use creams/gels/liquids in years without undoing the concealing job I'd just completed, however, this works well over their own foundation without doing that. Very natural looking.

I really like Meow foundation, too - that's what I was using before Illuminare. I just went looking for a cream or liquid mineral foundation because I was tired of the powder mess and happened on Illuminare several months ago.

My roseacea and seborrheic dermatitis are both happy with it. My only complaint about it is that even with the most matte formula my still-oily 54-year-old skin gets a bit shiny if I don't use a little pressed mineral powder over it to set it - I'd hoped to get away from powder altogether, but just blotting isn't enough for me - YMMV. I don't recommend the Fantastic Finish moisturizing fomula at all if you have oily or combination skin.

pjjosephgiss 04-10-2011 09:48 PM

I love bare minerals or bare essentials! I am dark skinned, and my co workers and I (we are every color you can imagine!) used to go on lunch trips either to the bare essentials store in NYC or Sephora, and we would all come back pleased with our purchases. Google it for information, but don't buy on line. You really should go in and try it first, then you will know what to get.HTH

Verity 04-13-2011 09:31 AM

Stila Natural Finish Oil-Free Makeup. Their site describes it as "semi-matte," but it's matte to me. It is the only foundation I've tried in the past several years that doesn't look cakey.

bluesheep 04-14-2011 01:19 PM

I highly recommend Ophelia's Apothecary Mineral Makeup. All of their products are awesome (they do bath, body, perfume and candles, too). I'm a frequent customer and have yet to try anything I wouldn't recommend.

I used Bare Minerals for years and was pretty happy with it, but when I started running low I decided to try Ophelia's. I love it! I have rosacea and extremely sensitive skin, which can be a problem. I'm limited in what (and how much) I can put on my skin, but I also need some extra coverage from time to time. The coverage is terrific without looking cakey or unnatural, and I don't even need a primer under it (I always did with Bare Minerals). She sells samples, so you can try it before making the investment. It's a few dollars more than Bare Minerals, but you get more product for your money.

I also like the fact that everything is hand-blended by an actual human (I'm a proponent of "people, not factories" whenever possible). She'll work with you to find your perfect shade, and will custom blend a foundation just for you.

Also check out the Perfecting Minerals - totally amazing! It looks disturbingly white in the jar but goes on completely clear. It makes everything sort of blend together and enhances the "flawless skin" look. Best of all, you can brush some on anytime you start to see shine (which isn't often for me, and I have an oil slick prone nose and forehead). No matter how much you use, it never cakes up or looks like you've done anything. You don't need much - I usually just use whatever's left over on my brush from my original morning application.

You can find Ophelia's Apothecary on Etsy. The only caveat is that you may have to wait a little bit for your order. It's a two-woman operation, and everything is hand made when you order it. Current turn-around time is 8-10 business days (sometimes less, but they're growing fast - 1000 orders in the past two weeks!), but it's worth the wait.

I know you're looking for foundation, but I'd also recommend their eyeshadow. I've never been a fan of loose eyeshadow in general (messy, weak color intensity, etc), but theirs is excellent - very little fall out when applying and great color payoff. Some of them look obnoxiously neon in the jar, but they apply beautifully and are totally wearable.

Sorry for the long post, but I like to provide as much info as possible (sometimes too much :oops:). And, for what it's worth, I used to be a makeup artist, and I'm uber-picky about products. So when I find something I like, I want to shout it from the rooftops!

If you do order anything, tell her Bluesheep recommended her - I don't get anything for it (honest), but we've become friends and I'd love her to know I gave her a shout-out. :icon_smile:

HTH

RebeccaK 04-15-2011 04:15 AM

For those interested in Illuminare make-up, they have a 10% off sale through midnight 5/2/11.

You can put 10Percent into the discount code box at checkout.

=)

ShrekLover 04-29-2011 04:07 PM

I've always had a shiny face no matter what age, or what primer or sunscreen I've used. I started wearing the Laura Mericer Secret Finish mattifying gel a couple of weeks ago and it really helps. It's not perfect, but it works better than powder or anything else I've tried. I use over primer and then again over my foundation. Just pat a bit on. I know the link says blotting papers but it is the gel.

Sephora: Laura Mercier Secret Finish Mattifying: Shine Control/Blotting Papers

curlypearl 04-29-2011 10:37 PM

Thanks, everyone! Sometimes I think the makeup is the perfect texture but I have trouble finding a color I like. I used to use Prescriptives but it's not made anymore.

The search continues....

batgrrly 05-05-2011 08:53 AM

Two I use

I have really sensitive skin, so I have to use either Lorac, which has matte and matifying.

BareMinerals is the other one I use and they have matte as well.:cheers:

bluesheep 05-06-2011 01:09 PM

If anyone is interested, Ophelia's Apothecary is having a sale through Monday. You can get 25% off your entire order (any of their products, not just makeup) by using the code MAY25. I feel like I should put my little disclaimer in here again: I'm not affiliated and don't get anything for singing their praises - I just like the products!
:love5:

Verity 09-11-2011 06:28 PM

I have to take back my recommendation for Stila oil-free foundation. I now call it "the amazing disappearing makeup." The foundation I bought seemed just right for my skin tone, but it left me looking pale in a few hours. I thought I had a shade that was just a bit too light, so I went back and bought a second bottle (ka-ching!) in the next darker shade so I could mix a better match for my skin tone. The makeup still disappears and leaves me looking ghost-like. Even though I was using a moisturizer underneath, I guess my skin just soaks up this stuff.

It has a nice texture, but I guess it's just good for oilier and/or younger skin. I'm saving it to use on my (extremely shiny) nose.