What do you like better about your appearance as you get older?

Like Tree24Likes

Can't think of a single thing.
Originally Posted by Starmie

+1
Originally Posted by openseason
Add me to this. Nothing about my appearance is better and I don't like looking older.

But I realize that I could have not gotten older so aging is a gift I trasure, (up to a point, I don't want to get so old I can't take care of myself). I do my best to look my best no matter what age I am.
Verity and curlypearl like this.
Now I'm more accepting of my body and I'm more aware of what it is and is not capable of doing. I may not look like a skinny model in a fashion magazine, but my strong shoulders and muscular legs have taken me on long, hard hikes with a heavy pack! (I might very well need ice and ibuprofen on one of my knees after the hike--but I digress )
Originally Posted by FeedYourHead
yes i vote for hiking as the best feel good thing there is as we age. being outdoors makes me so happy that i look better. i am still overweight but am very active. love my transitioning 2 tone curls and accept my imperfect body. my body is something I use for MYSELF to have fun with, not something that is there for others to use or judge.
FYH where are U? i am in hudson valley NY and hike every day. lots of 60+ people here in great shape from hiking....
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
Can't think of a single thing.
Originally Posted by Starmie

+1
Originally Posted by openseason
Add me to this. Nothing about my appearance is better and I don't like looking older.

But I realize that I could have not gotten older so aging is a gift I trasure, (up to a point, I don't want to get so old I can't take care of myself). I do my best to look my best no matter what age I am.
Originally Posted by sdc
Me, too.

I am in better physical condition than I ever was before, but even though I have better muscle tone, gravity is making things sag so it all evens out.

I never had problems with my skin (I still get the occasional period pimple like I did when I was in my twenties) and I've never had a weight problem (except that I was underweight when I was very young).
I love that people are shocked when I tell them I'm 42 and as I age my skin is still beautiful.
You under-45s may be in for a shock in a few years. That is the age when I REALLY started noticing a difference in my appearance--more wrinkles, more sagging, just not being able to pass for younger than I am. Not fun.

I echo Janna in that I know that aging is a privilege denied to many, and that I'm thankful to watch my kids grow up (and I also echo her sentiment that I don't want to be so old that I can no longer take care of myself), but I really can't say that there is anything I like more about my appearance as I get older.

What I really miss about being younger is being able to wear shorts and above-the-knee skirts in public. Spider veins really limit a person's wardrobe choices. (Yes, I've been to the dermatologist to try to get rid of them. I can wear shorts that are to the knee, but can't go shorter because I have spider veins just above the knee that are resistant to treatment.) I've had them since I was in my 20s, but only in my mid-40s did they get bad enough that I no longer wear above-the-knee shorts and skirts. I wish I could have my 40-year-old body back!

Last edited by Verity; 10-06-2011 at 08:30 AM.
You under-45s may be in for a shock in a few years. That is the age when I REALLY started noticing a difference in my appearance--more wrinkles, more sagging, just not being able to pass for younger than I am. Not fun.

I echo Janna in that I know that aging is a privilege denied to many, and that I'm thankful to watch my kids grow up (and I also echo her sentiment that I don't wanting to be so old that I can no longer take care of myself), but I really can't say that there is anything I like more about my appearance as I get older.
Originally Posted by Verity
I hear that a lot about 45.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
I gained weight (in my belly) and now my butt and belly stick out almost the same amount..lol. I'm working on the belly again, but would love to keep the bigger butt. I never had a butt in my younger years so it's nice to see something is going on back there.
curlypearl likes this.
"The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
"...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
LOL...my attitude is better now...I don't really think anything has gotten better physically or with ny appearance...
I gained weight (in my belly) and now my butt and belly stick out almost the same amount..lol. I'm working on the belly again, but would love to keep the bigger butt. I never had a butt in my younger years so it's nice to see something is going on back there.
Originally Posted by BekkaPoo

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
curlypearl likes this.

Last edited by Mskeisha99; 10-05-2011 at 02:20 PM.
My skin is not perfect but looks good for 50. I take care of it and so far I don't need any "work." (Maybe menopause will change that.)

I also keep my hair healthy, and most days it looks pretty good without too much fuss.
shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
This is not about my appearance. Not really.

I love that I dont have to be a slave to fashion. I have my own style now, and the hell with everyone else .

What I like best is that I know who I am. I am confident of my abilities.
Wile E Faceless and eche428 like this.
I love that I dont have to be a slave to fashion. I have my own style now, and the hell with everyone else
Originally Posted by Myrna
It's great that you feel that way! I don't think I'll be comfortable with just wearing what I like until I am a lot older. I am still a slave to fashion to some extent because I don't want to "dress old."
I think once you reach a mature age there is no “dressing old’ –it’s just more about being fully assured in being yourself and dressing what fits you as a certain individual - although, I have always done my own thing and not followed the crowd.

What do you like better about your appearance as you get older?: for me, I guess to sum it up it is that as I’ve gotten older I like the fact of less is more. My outward appearance is of a healthy, hip 50 year old – not an old lady 50.

Originally Posted by Verity
I think this is entirely plausible. But I also see some very well-built older ladies in my jazzercise class, athletic 60 yo ladies. They look good to me. I do think skin after menopause takes a dive, not particularly looking forward to that. But not so worried about muscle mass.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
I don't break out anymore (pimples), but strangely, my nose still shines to high heaven in humid or pms-related conditions.

I used to have a softness to my face which I miss. Some of it was probably expression. My formerly big brown eyes look smaller because of sagging lids (inherited), but I'm more cynical, too, so that also accounts for some of it.

I find I look a lot better when I'm happy.
My dark under eye circles are less noticeable. Or perhaps I'm so used to them that they don't bother me as much anymore! Actually since I have used sunscreen on my face since I was in my 20's and after using retin-A for the past 15 years (initially for acne) my skin looks really pretty good for 49. I don't plan on using any cosmetic surgical techniques to change my skin or face, but I will continue to use sunscreen and retin-A.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Well, 45 isn't menopause, not for me, and not for most of us. I just think it's "that age" when years start to show on your face.
Robin-in-FL likes this.
" I just think it's "that age" when years start to show on your face." - Verity

Very true! I have never understood how some people can say that almost the minute they came into menopause that their skin took a turn for the worse. In actuality, that process might have been underway for a good while and it reached critical mass around that period of their life. But for different people, that skin issue is different. Some people look like they've been through the mill by the time they're only 40, while others look good(although not young - there's a difference)and that moment of really seeing the aging signs is delayed, amongst people who are NOT having any work done or Rx skin care. Genetics and lifestyle really do account for a whole lot more in the skin game than people believe. There are people who supposedly do everything in the book with their skin, and it just looks, well-OK, and others who do very little and their skin looks great, like they spent a mint on it. That part is genetics. The other part is lifestyle - if one indeed has had a lot of stress, too much alcohol and cigarettes, plus unhealthy food and little exercise, that WILL show up in one's face too. All over, in fact.
I will also say that it seems that there are women now in their 70s or so who have very nice skin and they didn't grow up with industrial strength sunblocks or products, and don't use any now, either. Skin care was simpler way back when, and people didn't have the expectations that they now do with products. Anything beyond cleansing and moisturing(toning and an occasional mask, usually homemade, if one were getting fancy)wasn't even on the radar.
eche428 and Robin-in-FL like this.
ta, Verity & Caramix.

I am glad to hear that the immediate dive @menopause not real, that did freak me out. Slow changes are manageable for me.

On topic, I'm really truly just happier with my looks now than I've ever been. No lie. It may simply be that my standards are lower, like more ladies my age have fallen apart so comparatively doing pretty well; I am now at the same weight as before I had 4 kids, skin looks better, not worse, though OLDER - because I had godawful skin when younger so this is an improvement - and I have a good working body that feels good and I am thankful for it.

Working out has made a huge difference for me. I eat well, moderately, and take care of my skin & hair but it's the Jazzercise 4x/week that makes the biggest difference. And Jazzercise is where I see the fit older ladies still lookin' good and that is what I want as I age. Not to stay young. I want to look mature and great. Not trying to plug Jazzercise in particular, it just works for me 'cause I was a dancer and get bored with other workouts. But I do want to plug EXERCISE in general. If you can, do it! Such a difference I see between those who do and those who don't.

And aaah I still hope one day to have the beautiful old looks, not "prettiness" but those beautiful old ladies that look so good, so much experience in their faces, the deep beauty you just cannot have without all the time to develop it.
Janna likes this.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
It kind of makes me sad that so many people (mostly women) are so afraid to grow old. The time, money, effort put into 'looking young' amazes me sometimes.

But I'm the tiny minority that would rather spend the day at the beach on a perfect day, reading a great book, taking pictures, daydreaming, and napping than spending that same day worrying about wrinkles and age spots, worrying about looking 'my age', or spending time and money peeling the skin off my face and slathering on expensive miracle products.

Not a criticism of anyone in the least. People think I'm crazy because I don't dye my hair, refuse to spend money on the newest anti-aging products, and I won't have 'work done'. Just a different way of looking at life I guess.

I look in the mirror and see a different person than I did when I was 20, 30 40, and even 50. I still like her pretty well. : )

In the end, if we're lucky, we are all gonna end up old no matter what we do.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
I find the older I get the more relaxed and/or comfortable I feel about my hair. There was a time I would not go out anywhere without full hair and makeup and now I am just throw it in a ponytail and go. It's opened me up to experimenting with more styles too because I am totally ok with it being big and crazy. Things i never did when I was younger. And I worry less about makeup too. Most days just mascara and a little primer to even out and that never happened before. Of course there are tons of things I am not happy about with my skin as I age due to increased sensitivities and dryness and in that respect I miss my younger skin. LOL!

I am in a struggle with my glasses. It reminds me I am getting older and that sucks but on the flip side, I like how I look in glasses and it hides alot of issues i have with my eyes (eczema) so i feel more comfortable. Now I am experimenting with more fun glasses so I don't feel grandma-ish. Lol!

Sent from my DROIDX using CurlTalk App
Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town

Trending Topics