Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Over 40

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #1

Default What do you like better about your appearance as you get older?

I used to hate wearing glasses because I consider my eyes my best feature, but now I like wearing glasses because they hide the dark circles, puffiness and wrinkles when I smile.

Any improvements in your appearance as you've aged?
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Experimenting with cones & sulfates while the dews are high. Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
curlypearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlypearl View Post
I used to hate wearing glasses because I consider my eyes my best feature, but now I like wearing glasses because they hide the dark circles, puffiness and wrinkles when I smile.

That's a funny reason!

I like:
I'm in better shape, not eating-disordered now, a little more relaxed and now there are WAY more clothes made in my size so I don't have to worry about finding something. When I was younger it was assumed women/girls were about 5'4" and curvy so clothes never fit me, and I didn't have enough $ to buy shoes that fit. This and the happy coincidence of living in a society that now does view tall & slender as pretty, instead of just awkward and skinny and flat-chested. Which I guess didn't work out for everyone but it did for me.

Also I had acne, rosacea, not good young-skin ever, but now it's calmer so it's better in a way now even though it's aging, if that makes sense.

I don't like:
sagging anywhere, the veins in my leg that came with pregnancies, lips getting less full, having to wear glasses, not having a waist really, and gray hairs.

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
Robin-in-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:44 AM   #3

Can't think of a single thing.
Verity likes this.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:07 AM   #4

My appearance definitely isn't improved by age at all! But the question was what do I like better about my appearance and I would have to say, "everything."

I have never been so able to accept myself as I am able to do now, right down to my curly hair which I have absolutely detested my whole life. I just love myself in a way that youth never allowed me. I was a harsh judge then.

anonymous_22139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlypearl View Post

That's a funny reason!

I like:
I'm in better shape, not eating-disordered now, a little more relaxed and now there are WAY more clothes made in my size so I don't have to worry about finding something. When I was younger it was assumed women/girls were about 5'4" and curvy so clothes never fit me, and I didn't have enough $ to buy shoes that fit. This and the happy coincidence of living in a society that now does view tall & slender as pretty, instead of just awkward and skinny and flat-chested. Which I guess didn't work out for everyone but it did for me.

Also I had acne, rosacea, not good young-skin ever, but now it's calmer so it's better in a way now even though it's aging, if that makes sense.

I don't like:
sagging anywhere, the veins in my leg that came with pregnancies, lips getting less full, having to wear glasses, not having a waist really, and gray hairs.
Robin-in-Fl how could I have forgotten Acne - the bane of my younger life. I'm so glad I don't have acne any more and the oil on my skin could have solved the energy crisis. My skin is much nicer now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmie View Post
Starmie - Keep thinking. Most of the changes are not for the better but nothing has improved for you? (((Hugs))). I sympathize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitschy View Post
My appearance definitely isn't improved by age at all! But the question was what do I like better about my appearance and I would have to say, "everything."

I have never been so able to accept myself as I am able to do now, right down to my curly hair which I have absolutely detested my whole life. I just love myself in a way that youth never allowed me. I was a harsh judge then.
Kitschy - terrific! It's great that you are more accepting as you've gotten older. As far as the curly hair - I totally get detesting it, but I have been experimenting with AG: Recoil and have gotten better curls than with anything else. Have you tried that?
Stylers: Experimenting with cones & sulfates while the dews are high. Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
Old 04-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #6

I have to say that in getting older I realize how much worse it could have been, in terms of natural attributes and health.

One thing I'll flat out complain about is my nails, both finger and toe. They're ridge-ier (sp?) than they used to be.

Also I smell worse.

So that's two.
ninja dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #7

no more zits, really [which I had into my early 30s]

hair is MUCH better, thanks to this site

I'm still adapting to it, but I'm curvier than I used to be, which can be fun

more self acceptance — so long as I'm healthy in my eating and exercise, I feel good about my appearance
wild~hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #8

Well, I'm still 36, but I would never wanna go back to my teen years.. I was way fat, lazy, depressed, and overall an unhappy slob. Thank the gods I discovered exercise as a mid-20something and lost over 50 lbs. I have kept most of it off since then with occasional yo-yoing up and down 15 lbs.

I look AND feel better now than I did then.. I'm enjoying being in my prime.
BekkaPoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #9

My face

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using CurlTalk App

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
naturallylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:25 AM   #10

Curlypearl - it's really not so bad, I feel generally more confident and better about myself than I did when I was younger, but there is just no particular thing about my appearance that I think is better now.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #11

I LOVE getting older - everything is better. I agree with everyone who said they would never go back. I am 44 and really am looking forward to being able to say I'm 50. Half a century - how cool is that?!?

Best part, probably, is that as a child I looked so much older than my real age. I was mistaken for my father's wife starting when I was in junior high (embarrassing!). Now I feel like my face matches my age. =)

If I were to complain, it would be that the problems that plagued me from early childhood on (undiagnosable fatigue and chronic pain, TERRIBLE skin, a variety of maladies that are treatable but still bothersome) never really went away. As a teen I felt like I was 75 years old… for a long time I continued to hold out hope that I'd reach a point of feeling 'young' before actually being 'old'! If I let myself, I could probably get a good resentment-party going. This does not, however, negate my first sentence.
RebeccaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #12

Of course there are lots of things that I don't like as well now that I'm older - boobs, butt, nose, skin, hands.

But there are things that I notice now that I didn't pay attention to before and I think they look good.

I love my crazy curly grey hair.
I appreciate how nice my feet are and I think they are pretty..
I like my collarbone.
I have nice shoulders and a nice lower back, nice ankles and wrists. And nice ears.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, Ojon Restorative Treatment, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
jeepcurlygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #13

Much of what Kitschy said!

Plus, since I started avoiding sugar and HFCS as much as possible in this convenience-food and junk food society in which we live, my facial skin has WAY improved. That, plus probiotics and prebiotics have also helped me obtain a healthier glow than I actually never had, even in my youth.

I'm loving my return to summer skin coloring as my hair grows out to its original color, and I am REALLY loving my curls as they grow out.

OK...responding to this thread feels self-indulgent, but it was fun!
Gracings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmie View Post

+1
openseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitschy View Post
Me, too. I was always so awkward as a teen/young adult and I never, ever felt pretty. I have rather mannish features, and I now finally feel like I've grown into my face - that helps a ton. I'll never be classically "pretty", but I don't hate the way I look anymore. I also am lucky in that I'm fairly unlined and unwrinkled - the dermatologist told me when I was a pimple-covered teenager that someday I'd be happy to have oily skin, and he was right. I see lines and bags and dark patches on my friends' faces that I don't have, and I'm grateful.

I've also lost some weight in the last 5 years, and that helps how I feel about myself a lot. When I turned 40, I decided it was time to do something about my frumpy appearance, so I joined Weight Watchers and lost 55 pounds. I've managed to keep it off for the last 3 years, and that feels good. I've lost weight many times before, but never kept it off. Being able to now buy clothes and shoes that I love also helps me to feel vibrant and "younger."

Aside from that, I think that just getting older does something to one's self-acceptance. At almost 44, I am in a place now where I really couldn't give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks about me, so I do the things I do (all this hair stuff, buying clothes, shoes, whatever) for ME, not to impress my friends or men. I think the inner confidence must reflect in my outer demeanor, because I get compliments now from people (ones I know and strangers) that I never would have gotten before.

My only regret is that I didn't feel this way earlier in my life. I spent so much time being unsure of myself that I think I held myself back in many areas.
eche428 likes this.
Dye-free since 11/2010

Rustina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BekkaPoo View Post
Well, I'm still 36, but I would never wanna go back to my teen years.. I was way fat, lazy, depressed, and overall an unhappy slob. Thank the gods I discovered exercise as a mid-20something and lost over 50 lbs. I have kept most of it off since then with occasional yo-yoing up and down 15 lbs.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

I'm 41 now, and after recently losing over 60 pounds through eating right and getting regular exercise, I'm back to the weight I was when I was in my early 20's.

I feel better--physically and mentally--than I have in years. And I'd like to think I'm wiser now than I was 20 years ago. I'm certainly more realistic now. Back then I lived on Top Ramen and Diet Coke, and tried to get down to a body weight I now know is not healthy for me.

Now I'm more accepting of my body and I'm more aware of what it is and is not capable of doing. I may not look like a skinny model in a fashion magazine, but my strong shoulders and muscular legs have taken me on long, hard hikes with a heavy pack! (I might very well need ice and ibuprofen on one of my knees after the hike--but I digress )
eche428 likes this.

Description: 3B/Corkicelli/Fiii/BSL/light ash brown (colored)/CG since 2008

Likes: V05 Freesia as a co-wash, AOHR, Jessicurl RR & CCSS, banana hair masks, honey
Dislikes: Hairbrushes () and harsh detergents ()
FeedYourHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedYourHead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BekkaPoo View Post

Congratulations on your weight loss!

I'm 41 now, and after recently losing over 60 pounds through eating right and getting regular exercise, I'm back to the weight I was when I was in my early 20's.

I feel better--physically and mentally--than I have in years. And I'd like to think I'm wiser now than I was 20 years ago. I'm certainly more realistic now. Back then I lived on Top Ramen and Diet Coke, and tried to get down to a body weight I now know is not healthy for me.

Now I'm more accepting of my body and I'm more aware of what it is and is not capable of doing. I may not look like a skinny model in a fashion magazine, but my strong shoulders and muscular legs have taken me on long, hard hikes with a heavy pack! (I might very well need ice and ibuprofen on one of my knees after the hike--but I digress )
Thank you and you too! And even when I yo yo up, I'm not that upset because I know eventually it will go back down again (through my own efforts of course).

Hey, I'd rather be a healthy, strong, confident woman who CAN go on hikes, than not.
BekkaPoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #18

Well, CP, since you asked....

I'd have to say my figure and my hair. My hair just turned curly a few years ago and now it's healthy - I love it! I've been letting it grow out - it's almost to my waist and if I do say so myself - it looks fabulous!

I lost 40 pounds - yay! When I was overweight I tried to hide my figure, but now I'm wearing form fitting clothes because, well, I have a great figure!

Thank you for starting this thread CP!

"
I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
kasden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #19

Sending hugs to all my curlfriends who are looking at the doughnut instead of the hole.

I know it's not always easy and I struggle with it myself which is why I started the thread. And congratulations to everyone who lost weight - ! terrific.
Every day is a gift

Last edited by curlypearl; 04-30-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #20

At 43 I have more ownership of who I am and the choices I make.

I enjoy the wisdom that comes with the experiences of time.

I see my curls as unique instead of wishing them away. I now go as big as I can with them.

I finally lost that last 10 pounds of baby fat that hung on for 10 years and I'm better at knowing my style and not trying to be anyone else.

I'm also very thankful to God for faithfully being with me every step of the way!

co/wash - Suave Naturals or VO5, Naked Naturals shampoo from CVS - can't find anymore, replacing with JCHCC

Condition: Aubrey Organics HR, Moisture Maniac, Love Jessicurl deep treatment and her stuff!

Leave in's: Aveda Be Curly, Jessicul RR and CC, quarter and nickel amounts, AG liquid effects, KCCC (forever to dry), leaving behind the Aquage defining gel

Want to try some of Sally's generics
danna harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Trending Topics[-]hide