CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Over 40 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/)
-   -   Curly methods/products discolor gray? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/126509-curly-methods-products-discolor-gray.html)

Sunshineliz 05-19-2011 09:02 AM

Curly methods/products discolor gray?

Do any curly methods or products suggested for curlies discolor gray hair? Or are there any things to watch out for specifically when trying to embrace gray curls that don't seem to apply to the non-gray crowd?

jeepcurlygurl 05-19-2011 09:53 AM

I haven't noticed that any of the products I use discolor my gray. I notice it's more discolored in summer so I think it's mostly sun, wind, and spending more time in smokey bars that affects my hair color.

PS Your gray stripes are gorgeous.

curlygoinggray 09-11-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshineliz (Post 1667985)
Do any curly methods or products suggested for curlies discolor gray hair? Or are there any things to watch out for specifically when trying to embrace gray curls that don't seem to apply to the non-gray crowd?

I am bumping this question up, as I am also interested in protecting my gray/silvers from being discolored.

When doing a vinegar rinse, I only use WHITE. Have read and been told on another site apple cider vinegar has been known to stain the hair. Am not using products with colors added to the ingredients, maybe I am over-cautions but if it colors the product why wouldn't it color your hair. Violet, purple, and blue shampoos have the same effect I believe. Please correct me if I am wrong.

CurlyJulia 10-07-2012 08:50 PM

I've heard rumors that my HG: CJ CCCC, can yellow white hair.

All together now: NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I'll still use it... and add Color Corrector to my SNTC to clean it up.

(yes, completely embracing my grey!)

Barbarosa 10-09-2012 07:35 PM

Anyone use coconut oil? If so how often and how much?

curlygoinggray 10-11-2012 03:29 AM

I use coconut oil as a moisturizing treatment for my wiry grays and dry hair. I have low porosity hair and I don't mess with the cuticle (opening and shutting). I rub some oil between my hands til it melts and apply enough to moisturize my dry hair (I do not wet my hair first). I let it sit for an hour or so and shampoo out. Thats how I do it. Everyone does it different.

My newest moisturizing treatment that I love and hope don't stain the grays is:

Honey & olive oil (enough oil so you can spread the honey without pulling on the hair). I warm in the micro and apply to my dry not wet hair and let sit for an hour or so and poo out!!!!

Tip: The honey bear bottle only had a quarter cup or so left in the bottle so I added the oil to the honey bear bottle, so I don't have to mix using added dishes. Just reheat the bear bottle like ten seconds in micro and voilla, squeeze out your hot oil rx!!!

Sunshineliz 10-28-2012 08:12 PM

I just saw that I had replies!

The few things I've heard on another site was to avoid apple cider vinegar, and any product with rosemary in it.

I tried coconut oil and although it didn't affect the gray, it made my hair "snappy." I don't think my hair likes protein (or things that encourage protein retention) much.

Other than that, I've been using aloe vera gel and a tresseme curl mousse and they've both been fine. I occasionally use a purple shampoo, but not often and so far, everything is fine!

hawaiikaren2001 11-11-2012 09:54 AM

this has been a concern of mine as well

hawaiikaren2001 11-11-2012 09:57 AM

welll crap on the acv... been planning on incorporating it in regime asp.. i THINK i have sd and seemed like it was worth a try

jeepcurlygurl 11-11-2012 04:56 PM

White vinegar works just the same as cider vinegar without the risk of discoloration.