CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Over 40 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/)
-   -   LASIK at age 40? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/126668-lasik-age-40-a.html)

sinistral55 05-21-2011 09:35 PM

LASIK at age 40?

Hi, would there be any sort of risk factors to consider? I'm 40 and I know the eyes change around this age (I'm severely nearsighted).....I think even with my bad eyesight, age-related things have started happening.

It's gotten to the point where I can hardly bear my contacts anymore. I need reading glasses on top of them in order to see anything up close. Thanks in advance.

BigHairLala 05-21-2011 11:58 PM

No specific age related risks that I've heard about. I had LASIK just over two months ago at age 41 without any problems. But everyone is different and the only way to know for certain is to go for a consultation.

One thing to note tho, LASIK doesn't correct for age-related nearsightedness -the kind when you need reading glasses. That's eye muscle related and not affected by the resurfacing of the cornea that is done by LASIK.

I had pretty bad vision (-6.5 and -5.75). Now I am better that 20-20. It's miraculous!!

sinistral55 05-22-2011 08:11 AM

Yes, I have been in glasses for nearsightedness since age 10 (my first pair was a pair of bifocals).

I used to be able to read anything with my contacts, but now I have to have low-strength reading glasses on top of my contacts in order to read. This has been getting worse the closer I edged towards 40. Now, it's SO irritating!!!

I love glasses and how they look, but my lens thickness (no matter how much they grind them down) always cancels out the cuteness.

I've always wanted a dozen pairs of funky frames to switch up and play around with, but even if my frames are $10, the cost of the lenses....again. Even with insurance my glasses cost at least $300.

And don't get me started on my sizing issues; after decades of wearing too-big frames, an optometrist assistant only recently was kind enough to advise me to try wearing kids frames. HUGE difference and one I recommend to anyone with a child-sized face like mine. Even the "petite" lines of adult frames, and those "designed for smaller faces" are too big on me!!!

I can't even use Zenni.com because all the issues I have, it's kinda not worth the hassle of returning if, inevitably, something ends up wrong.

ANNNND, I learned that my pupillary distance is some sort of weird "half" measurement.....not just, say, "24", but "24.5" or some such. You can't even enter that into the Zenni order form! (well, it can be entered into the "special instructions" area, I guess....but still.)

But anyway, that's my eye saga. My contact lens Rx is -0.70 and -0.75....I'm not even going to rant about places always having to "special order" due to never having these sizes in stock. I can't ever have glasses made in a hour, either.

It's strange because out of most of the extended family on both sides, only me and my youngest sister have the same bad nearsightedness. I also forgot to add that I'm a glaucoma suspect.

sinistral55 05-22-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigHairLala (Post 1670269)
No specific age related risks that I've heard about. I had LASIK just over two months ago at age 41 without any problems. But everyone is different and the only way to know for certain is to go for a consultation.

One thing to note tho, LASIK doesn't correct for age-related nearsightedness -the kind when you need reading glasses. That's eye muscle related and not affected by the resurfacing of the cornea that is done by LASIK.

I had pretty bad vision (-6.5 and -5.75). Now I am better that 20-20. It's miraculous!!

Yes, I figured as much re: the consultation. I really really hope that I can qualify for the surgery.

A friend of mine (coworker) had the surgery while I was working there...previously, I had known of people who had it but never knew them enough to discuss it.

He sat down with me and basically described the entire process in detail from beginning to end. I do realize that there's more than one type of surgery and that I might not get the same one he had....but it was very, very useful information.

I'm even getting impatient with my prescription sunglasses; they're a little older than my current glasses and my eyes feel uncomfortable after wearing them. They're also very heavy across my nose. My current glasses also irritate my nose skin, so I'm always magenta-colored around my nose. I barely even wear my contacts anymore. I think it's time.

Robin-in-FL 05-24-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigHairLala (Post 1670269)

Big hair LaLa, I think that is EXACTLY what my prescription was before I got Lasik! I didn't quite get 20/20 (I was an early adopter; as soon as they said they could fix eyes with severe nearsightedness, I did it). Got about 15 years of good vision, it's regressed now to about -1.5 but that is nothing, thin little glasses, not like before when I couldn't tell my kids apart if they were standing across the room from me.

And yes, very soon will come the reading glasses.

But sinistral55, I was very very happy with my surgery. The main thing that I did not like was it was sort of like a cattle line, and they did not tell me I'd be able to smell my eyes burning, and valium does not work on me so I was very much anxious during the procedure. But to be able to see, when I'd never been able to - it was miraculous.

A lady at my work was -11 prescription and was successfully lasik-ed too, I think they are much better at this now.

Talk to the doctor you want to use, go consult and let him know your concerns. But to me, good vision, even thin glasses, were such a wonderful thing and I am very, very glad I chose to have the eyes fixed.

jeepcurlygurl 05-26-2011 09:13 AM

I know people who have had Lasik surgery in their 70's without a hitch.
I'm 54 and if there was an eye surgery to fix far-sightedness I'd be right there having it done.

Malory 05-28-2011 01:02 PM

When my mother,who is nearsighted and in her early 80s, had cataract surgery several years ago, the doctor offered to correct her nearsightedness as long as he was doing eye surgery on her anyway.

curlypearl 05-29-2011 02:55 PM

I know several people over 40 who had it done and are happy with the results. I've work eyeglasses since I was 8 :glasses11: but I can't have Lasik done because I've had dry eyes.

ltown 05-29-2011 08:30 PM

I had lasik at 47 and unfortunately it only lasted 2 years I got dry eyes really bad, so back in glasses and contacts. It was suggested to laser again, but i want to have some vision.

FrizzBgone 08-06-2012 11:18 PM

I had laser eyes surgery 7 years ago. It was one of the best things I ever did for myself. I am 45yrs old now. They told me that eventually I would need reading glasses, but so far I'm fine.

Needing reading glasses is nothing compared to having to wear them all the time. I used to wear contacts, but my allergies were making my eyes more sensitive and I started having trouble with my them. It was that sensitivity that prompted me to get it done. I've never regretted it.

Poochie 08-20-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl (Post 1673850)
I know people who have had Lasik surgery in their 70's without a hitch.
I'm 54 and if there was an eye surgery to fix far-sightedness I'd be right there having it done.

Jeep, there is a procedure now for presbyopia. It's called ReStor and is similar to cataract surgery (they replace your lens) and it eliminates the need for reading glasses.

I haven't had the procedure but heard about it at my consultation a few weeks ago.

I'm 49 and quite nearsighted, and have been told I am not a good candidate for LASIK because of the degree of myopia; I would probably end up with dry eye because they would have to thin my cornea so much. Also I haven't seriously considered it because I am a theatrical lighting designer and don't want to compromise my night vision (a not uncommon side effect) because although that's just a nuisance for many people, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to do my job.

I've worn contacts for about 35 years now and don't have too much trouble with them, but I would love to be able to go swimming and be able to see, or go really long days without gritty and dry-feeling contacts. I went for a consultation recently and it seems that a good option for me is implantable contacts (the specific one I'n considering is called Visian ICL). I'm working on saving up the money to have this done.

claudine19 08-20-2012 11:13 PM

How long does it take to heal from Lasik? How does one deal with the panic and discomfort of having someone interfere with your eyes?

jeepcurlygurl 08-21-2012 08:35 AM

Poochie, so far I'm not a candidate for any of the eye surgeries. One eye near sighted, one far sighted, astigmatisms, etc. Plus I just don't have the money to pay for surgery. I can buy many pairs of glasses over the years and it still won't add up to the cost of surgery. And I do like glasses as long as I can get lightweight ones.

claudine, most every one I know has gone back to work the next day. As for the fear itself, most people feel that same panic when someone gets near their eyes. I guess they doctors are used to it and know how to handle it?

Poochie 12-09-2012 09:46 AM

I did it! In mid-October I had Visian ICL to correct my myopia. I was -7.0 in my right eye and -7.5 in my left. I have worn contacts nearly every day for more than 30 years.

The morning after the procedure in my left eye, I read an eye chart without glasses or contacts and was pronounced 20/20. Couldn't believe it! My right eye is 20/30 because of slight astigmatism, which the procedure doesn't correct (but neither did my contacts). I'm really thrilled. No more contacts, glasses (except reading, which I had anyway on top of contacts), lens solution, and trying to remember to take all that stuff whenever I went anywhere. Haven't been swimming, camping, or staying in grimy hostels abroad since I had it done seven weeks ago, but I can't wait! Meanwhile, I can actually read the clock when I wake up, and (mixed blessing) has the grout inside the shower really needed cleaning all this time?

Wiggilyhair 08-30-2013 06:56 PM

I had it done at age 40 when my vision was -5.00 My LASIK only "lasted" about 6 years before I was back in glasses for driving.

My eye dr. told me that if a person has the genetics to have decreased vision upon aging, she will eventually be back in glasses for distance. My rx is only -1.50 now, so my vision is much better than before LASIK. However, I do need glasses for driving, especially at night or on cloudy days.

On the plus side, I still don't need glasses for reading.