They Just Don't Get It

Thanks Jeepy. You curly girls have given me courage to grow my hair the way I want it. I will be 64 next week and am not going to listen to these hairdressers anymore. It has been so frustrating to have to keep telling them "Not too short". One got angry with me because he said that he knows best. That it so wrong. It's my hair and I know best. Thanks again for all the encouragement! Now I feel a "rant coming on"
Originally Posted by Barbarosa
Wow, that's pretty bold. I'd have probably been close to poking him in the eye. Can't cut hair if you can't see can you punk?
Southern Colorado Curly
Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
Three words - Fire that haircutter!
'Nuff said!
That "age-appropriate" garbage sets my teeth on edge!
Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!
Yeah, who says there's an age limit to long hair????? Any, and I mean ANY woman with long, well groomed, healthy hair looks great, and she should glory in it!

Any by the way, I cut my hair every year at the MOST. I deep treat weekly, and I do nothing that damages my hair, so why cut it? I figure the ends of my hair will let me know when it's time.
Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
LA Looks Sport Gel
Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
When I was 26 (26!!!) my hair was way below bsl, and I cut it to just below my ears....my grandmother of all people said "Oh, I'm so glad you cut all of that mess off, you're WAY TOO OLD to be wearing it like that!"
I'd hate to see what she had to say about how long it is now that i'm really "old."

Spaghetti head (love you name and your hair!) My mother used to say the same thing. One of her other favorite questions was " Barbara, when are you going to do something with that hair?" and " Do you ever comb your hair, EVER?" She could bring me to tears .She was 84 and still dying and straightening her hair.. That was pretty much the story since I was a little girl. She hated her curls and made me feel the same way for so long. So sad. Thank goodness we are in an age that accepts and respects diversity. Oh...and when I decided to let it go gray, can you imagine her chagrin? Curly and gray, oh horrors!
Spaghetti head (love you name and your hair!) My mother used to say the same thing. One of her other favorite questions was " Barbara, when are you going to do something with that hair?" and " Do you ever comb your hair, EVER?" She could bring me to tears .She was 84 and still dying and straightening her hair.. That was pretty much the story since I was a little girl. She hated her curls and made me feel the same way for so long. So sad. Thank goodness we are in an age that accepts and respects diversity. Oh...and when I decided to let it go gray, can you imagine her chagrin? Curly and gray, oh horrors!
Originally Posted by Barbarosa
Blasphemous!!!

I have the opposite problem, in a way. My hairstylist won't listen that I WANT my hair chin length--she insists on leaving it longer, which is just not flattering on me. Actually, it's the same problem: a stylist with his or her own agenda and who WILL NOT LISTEN TO THE CLIENT. I guess these people just don't want our business.
well, at age 61 my hair is long curly and transitioning into gray. it is about 5 colors now. i get it cut once a year at devachan. they are totally cool with my yearly program and think long gray hair is fine on us mature folks. however, one advantage of getting older is not giving a crap what people think of our lifestyle or choices for ourselves....
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
"however, one advantage of getting older is not giving a crap what people think of our lifestyle or choices for ourselves...." - banjocurl

I'm WITH ya on that one - so freeing! Maybe this is why so many people are threatened by wise wild older women, BECAUSE of the fact that we're free!

Trending Topics