They Just Don't Get It

In an effort to get some professional advice I contacted another hairdresser. Trying to grow my curly gray hair back to shoulder length. Was encouraged by a previous hairdresser to cut it chin length and wedged up in the back. He thought it was more age appropriate at that length. Good hair cut the first time and then much too short every other time. Would like to be able to tie it up again... So the new hairdresser said the only way to maintain hair like mine and to grow it long is to smooth or relax it. I cant win Any suggestions?
Hogwash!

Your stylist just doesn't know about curly hair!

Be gentle to your hair. Get little (and I'm stressing the little) trims every 6 months or so (unless you notice damage, in which case do it more often).

But just taking care of it will help grow.

(...says the girl that chopped all of her hair off in September and is only now starting to notice it growing )

Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
Thanks Curlyminx
Really ...only every 6 months? I thought I needed a cut every six weeks. That would be great. I think you are right about the hogwash. It is sooooo hard to find a stylist that knows curly hair. Thanks for the advice!
Attached Thumbnails
They Just Don't Get It-dsc01282.jpg  
I think what you were told is hogwash, too. If, like Minxy said, you're gentle with it, you can go for far longer than every six weeks between cuts.

If it feels uncomfortable skipping cuts, work up to the six months rule: first try three months, and if that works, five months, and then six months. You should see a lot of growth in that time.

Sounds to me like stylist #1 was enforcing his own agenda. That's not okay.

Good luck, and post pics or add a timeline ---- anything inspiring to you.
Thanks Ninja...That sounds like great advice. I will go for three months after my next visit. There is such freedom going gray and naturally curly!
You're welcome. Your curls are lovely.

Let it all hang loose, baby!
Thanks Ninja... just got a suggestion from the Going Gray, Looking Great site. They said that long and curly hair didnt look right. Suggested a a Holly Berry short haircut. Yipes! I dont think so! It did look great on her. Wish I was brave enough but I know my hair and it likes to be long
Thanks Ninja... just got a suggestion from the Going Gray, Looking Great site. They said that long and curly hair didnt look right. Suggested a a Holly Berry short haircut. Yipes! I dont think so! It did look great on her. Wish I was brave enough but I know my hair and it likes to be long
Originally Posted by Barbarosa
that does not take into account the shape of your face!! and, it says worlds about they way they feel about naturally curly hair!

i just answered your question about how often to cut in another post. to reiterate, 6 weeks is waaayy too often! i think it depends on the tightness of your curl. for me, once every 3 months is the most often i can go. 4 months is even better for me. some of my friends who are happy with their length just go once every 6 months anyway.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Hey rbb....your curls are gorgeous! Will certainly keep that in mind. Have an appt on 6/15 but may only have the stylist check out the layers and make sure the length stays the same. Thanks again!

that does not take into account the shape of your face!! and, it says worlds about they way they feel about naturally curly hair!

i just answered your question about how often to cut in another post. to reiterate, 6 weeks is waaayy too often! i think it depends on the tightness of your curl. for me, once every 3 months is the most often i can go. 4 months is even better for me. some of my friends who are happy with their length just go once every 6 months anyway.[/QUOTE]
That's a bunch of cr@p. I'm so tired of hearing that you shouldn't have long hair after a certain age, or if you do, you must wear it up at all times. Not to mention the obvious prejudice in the advice above. Grrr....

And your hair is gorgeous! So is yours, rbb. So jealous....
3b/3a, medium porosity, slightly coarse, high elasticity, high density. CG 2004; mod CG since 2006. CG again since 4/1/11.

Lowpoo:
Gudonya Salty Dawg (etsy), SM Moisture Retention
CO: Gudonya Intense (etsy), SM Restorative, Tresemme Naturals
LI: Gudonya IHC, SMCH Milk, Tresemme Nat, Biotera LI
Stylers (current rotation): AVG/H20 spray, Eco Styler, EVCO, SMCH smoothie and mist, La Bella LoC, ORS Lock & Twist.
Homemade DTs, PTs and Pre-Poos
Love flour sack towels.
Coconut oil = magic!
barbarosa - your hair is gorgeous. Grow it and wear how ever you want. Never go by what others want for you.

Many people at the Going Gray Looking Great website (and in the book) have long curly hair, so I don't know what they meant by 'long, curly hair doesn't look right'. Things like that really irritate me. As do hair stylists saying everyone should dye and straighten their hair. I feel a rant coming on. : )

I trim my hair maybe twice a year, I cut it myself with cheap dollar store scissors, I never have a split end. The only damage to my hair is caused by sun and wind (the beach and riding on the back of a Harley or in a convertible), not by my not cutting it enough.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**

I like it when you have a fit and go cut it in the bathroom at work, Jeepy.
I like it when you have a fit and go cut it in the bathroom at work, Jeepy.
Originally Posted by ninja dog
Hey, that's where I do my best work! : )
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**

Don't we all.............
Thanks Curlyminx
Really ...only every 6 months? I thought I needed a cut every six weeks. That would be great. I think you are right about the hogwash. It is sooooo hard to find a stylist that knows curly hair. Thanks for the advice!

I'm convinced that the six week rule was invented by hairdressers to preserve their own income.That schedule is in their own best interest, not yours. How can your hair grow if you keep cutting it?
I'm convinced that the six week rule was invented by hairdressers to preserve their own income.That schedule is in their own best interest, not yours. How can your hair grow if you keep cutting it?
Originally Posted by crwritt
ITA. That's part of why I love my stylist. I go in for color every 6 weeks (my hair grows like a chia pet), but she rarely cuts my hair. She'll dust through it every 4 or 5 months to keep the shape. I might get a real cut about once a year.
3b/3a, medium porosity, slightly coarse, high elasticity, high density. CG 2004; mod CG since 2006. CG again since 4/1/11.

Lowpoo:
Gudonya Salty Dawg (etsy), SM Moisture Retention
CO: Gudonya Intense (etsy), SM Restorative, Tresemme Naturals
LI: Gudonya IHC, SMCH Milk, Tresemme Nat, Biotera LI
Stylers (current rotation): AVG/H20 spray, Eco Styler, EVCO, SMCH smoothie and mist, La Bella LoC, ORS Lock & Twist.
Homemade DTs, PTs and Pre-Poos
Love flour sack towels.
Coconut oil = magic!
Thanks Jeepy. You curly girls have given me courage to grow my hair the way I want it. I will be 64 next week and am not going to listen to these hairdressers anymore. It has been so frustrating to have to keep telling them "Not too short". One got angry with me because he said that he knows best. That it so wrong. It's my hair and I know best. Thanks again for all the encouragement! Now I feel a "rant coming on"
Thanks cr. I think you are right about the 6 week rule. I cant tell you how sad I have been since my last haircut. Hoping to get some length back. My curls like it that way.
At a concert recently I saw a lady with my dream-gray-hair. A little shorter than BSL, really thick, about the same curl type as what I have. Styled in big chunky waves. I didn't want to stalk her and take her picture but almost wish I had.

Good luck with your growout, Barbarosa!
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
In an effort to get some professional advice I contacted another hairdresser. Trying to grow my curly gray hair back to shoulder length. Was encouraged by a previous hairdresser to cut it chin length and wedged up in the back. He thought it was more age appropriate at that length. Good hair cut the first time and then much too short every other time. Would like to be able to tie it up again... So the new hairdresser said the only way to maintain hair like mine and to grow it long is to smooth or relax it. I cant win Any suggestions?
Age appropriate??? What is THAT garbage? I suggest you not see so-called hairstylist using such prejudicial terminology. Indeed!

In fact, run from whatever hairdressers you have in your town because they seem to all have lost their minds...
when all else fails...eat
[COLOR="Purple"]

Trending Topics