CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Over 40 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/)
-   -   what do your gray's look like? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/128801-what-do-your-grays-look-like.html)

Ondulee 06-28-2011 12:33 PM

what do your gray's look like?

I've only recently noticed a few grays coming in mostly around my front hairline and the only way i see them is that they sort of 'sparkle' in that they are sort of shiny and silvery and they glint in the light as the angle changes. Almost like a white 'hilite'.

I don't think I would mind going gray if mine came in all sparkly like that.

My sisters grays are kind of dull and matte looking, they look like white thread with no shine at all and I think even though she is blond and I'm brunette, hers look more noticeable...

so, what are your grays like? Sparkly or matte?

openseason 06-28-2011 12:46 PM

I have gray hair in front around the temples and it is very shiny. My natural color is a dull "mousy" brown so the gray hairs (to me) really pop. Also, the gray hairs are curlier than the rest of my hair.

ninja dog 06-28-2011 02:29 PM

Hell, imo.

bluesheep 06-28-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninja dog (Post 1704398)
Hell, imo.

LOL! +1.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

Robin-in-FL 06-28-2011 07:12 PM

Some of each. Some dull light colored hair near the temples and some sparkly silver hairs in the body of the hair.

Some ladies do go silver-haired. The woman who works in my department who has metallic silver and very dramatic dark gray with some lighter gray. Totally gorgeous dramatic coloring. This, I am afraid, is not my fate. But I feel lucky to live in a time when I have options for hair color.

Spiralli 06-28-2011 08:04 PM

Mine are not sparkly at this point. "Matte" is a very nice way of saying what I was previously describing as "dull" for my grays.

Rustina 06-29-2011 09:05 AM

I pretty much have the white thread look going on. I wish they were silver and sparkly, but I'll settle for white over steel gray.

jeepcurlygurl 06-29-2011 09:45 AM

My grey hairs are all over the place just like the rest of my hair. Gray, white, silver, steel, straight, kinky, curly, and everything in between.
It's not boring, doesn't look like everyone else's hair and gets alot of attention. I love it.

Penny 06-30-2011 09:10 AM

Mine are all over the place as well - I've got white, sparkly white, sparkly silver, and even some rogue black and auburn hairs (my pre-gray color was light brown). I have no clue what that's about! Definitely keeps things interesting though!

2poodles 06-30-2011 11:04 AM

Mine is still kind of subtle. It's scattered about - a mix of pure white and silver layered over and streaked through my dark ash blonde/light ash brown hair. It sparkles the most in sunlight. Indoors it lends a bit of a "haze" effect over my hair. My favorite thing about it is that I don't have to ever worry about my roots showing or schedule my life around an appointment at the salon.

PRINCETON 07-01-2011 09:22 PM

Mine are shiny silver. They're growing in at the front center and are quite long. I also have several silver patches growing in non-sequential areas so I'm unsure if they will play connect the dots until my entire head is silver.

Some of them are multi colored as the rest of my hair is jet black. The multicolored silver and black strands have about 2 inches of black then 2 inches silver and then black and silver again. I don't know how that happens lol.

Does anyone know what causes silver hair to grow? I've had some since I was a child but lately I believe it's the age that's causing the black hair to become the minority among my gray hairs :)

PRINCETON BROOKE
iMessage on iOS5
PrincetonBrooke@Me.com

Starmie 07-02-2011 12:38 PM

I don't let mine stick around long enough to notice!

Will have a proper look before I dye them into oblivion on Monday. I suspect they'll be pretty dull.

crwritt 07-02-2011 04:50 PM

Mine look like white highlights.Free ones.

Starmie 07-03-2011 10:57 AM

Ok, had a close look both here at work and at home. At home they just look kinda dull, but at work where we have fluoro lights, they look a bit silvery/shiny. Very white though, which bodes well for the future.

crwritt 07-03-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRINCETON (Post 1707380)
Mine are shiny silver. They're growing in at the front center and are quite long. I also have several silver patches growing in non-sequential areas so I'm unsure if they will play connect the dots until my entire head is silver.

Some of them are multi colored as the rest of my hair is jet black. The multicolored silver and black strands have about 2 inches of black then 2 inches silver and then black and silver again. I don't know how that happens lol.

Does anyone know what causes silver hair to grow? I've had some since I was a child but lately I believe it's the age that's causing the black hair to become the minority among my gray hairs :)

PRINCETON BROOKE
iMessage on iOS5
PrincetonBrooke@Me.com

Hair follicles contain a certain amount of pigment cells.
As we get older, the pigment cells in our hair follicles gradually die. When there are fewer pigment cells in a hair follicle, that strand of hair will no longer contain as much melanin and will become a more transparent color like gray, silver, or white as it grows. As people continue to get older, fewer pigment cells will be around to produce melanin. Eventually, the hair will look completely gray.

Not sure why your hair grows striped in some areas.

Some people are doing that on purpose
http://media.haircrazy.info/uploads/..._x400_y400.JPG

PRINCETON 07-03-2011 05:10 PM

@crwritt

Wow that sucks or maybe not lol they're paying for something mines does for free :)

Only thing is not knowing if it's free or a sign of some health problem I might have :(

PRINCETON BROOKE
iMessage on iOS5
PrincetonBrooke@Me.com

Barbarosa 08-02-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ondulee (Post 1704305)
I've only recently noticed a few grays coming in mostly around my front hairline and the only way i see them is that they sort of 'sparkle' in that they are sort of shiny and silvery and they glint in the light as the angle changes. Almost like a white 'hilite'.

I don't think I would mind going gray if mine came in all sparkly like that.

My sisters grays are kind of dull and matte looking, they look like white thread with no shine at all and I think even though she is blond and I'm brunette, hers look more noticeable...

so, what are your grays like? Sparkly or matte?

Mine looks like this:
https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net..._8057235_n.jpg

suayres 08-03-2011 08:04 AM

Silvery-iron grey

I'm presently wearing my hair somewhat short, and it's almost all grey in the front, but still dark chestnut in back. I'm debating growing it out, though I do love the ease of (co)wash-and-wear hair. I'm still pretty new to all this, but, for the first time in my life, I LOVE my hair. :blob7:

maydew 08-04-2011 09:15 AM

Always find it best to look without glasses on! However when I do look closer they are thick dull and uninteresting! Oh for silver threads that shine and sparkle. :smilebox:

Ondulee 08-04-2011 11:11 AM

thanks for all your comments, so interesting.

I was looking at my parents the other day to try and guage what my gray headed future will be like. As I mentioned in the OP, my greys are sparkly silver white.

So looking at my mom who is 70, she is still 99% brunette with about 10-15 white hairs in a tiny puff over her right eyebrow.... so since I have already plucked about 20 greys, I think I'll be more like my dad who started greying in his 50's. He's 75 now and has the softest silvery 'glowy' white hair, it's gorgeous, almost pure white and baby fine. If he let it grow longer, it would be curly too but he's got a cute little wave at the front. So, if I get his greying pattern and his colour pattern, I'll probably be ok with going grey. Just not yet :tongue: :laughing9: