Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Over 40

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #1

Default what do your gray's look like?

I've only recently noticed a few grays coming in mostly around my front hairline and the only way i see them is that they sort of 'sparkle' in that they are sort of shiny and silvery and they glint in the light as the angle changes. Almost like a white 'hilite'.

I don't think I would mind going gray if mine came in all sparkly like that.

My sisters grays are kind of dull and matte looking, they look like white thread with no shine at all and I think even though she is blond and I'm brunette, hers look more noticeable...

so, what are your grays like? Sparkly or matte?
shoulder length inverted bob; fine; 3A-3B; med-thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; seems to hate moisturizing products and oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

receive $10 off 1st order of $40 & up, or $5 off on smaller orders, when using iHERB code: GIK909
Ondulee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #2

I have gray hair in front around the temples and it is very shiny. My natural color is a dull "mousy" brown so the gray hairs (to me) really pop. Also, the gray hairs are curlier than the rest of my hair.
openseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #3

Hell, imo.
SpaghettiHead likes this.
ninja dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja dog View Post
Hell, imo.
LOL! +1.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

Lowpoo:
Gudonya Salty Dawg (etsy), SM Moisture Retention
CO: Gudonya Intense (etsy), SM Restorative, Tresemme Naturals
LI: Gudonya IHC, SMCH Milk, Tresemme Nat, Biotera LI
Stylers (current rotation): AVG/H20 spray, Eco Styler, EVCO, SMCH smoothie and mist, La Bella LoC, ORS Lock & Twist.
Homemade DTs, PTs and Pre-Poos
Love flour sack towels.
Coconut oil = magic!
bluesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #5

Some of each. Some dull light colored hair near the temples and some sparkly silver hairs in the body of the hair.

Some ladies do go silver-haired. The woman who works in my department who has metallic silver and very dramatic dark gray with some lighter gray. Totally gorgeous dramatic coloring. This, I am afraid, is not my fate. But I feel lucky to live in a time when I have options for hair color.

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
Robin-in-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #6

Mine are not sparkly at this point. "Matte" is a very nice way of saying what I was previously describing as "dull" for my grays.
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, coconut oil overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Terax Crema, Moroccan Oil Restorative Mask, Je Veux Revitalizing Mud Mask, Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix
Spiralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #7

I pretty much have the white thread look going on. I wish they were silver and sparkly, but I'll settle for white over steel gray.
Dye-free since 11/2010

Rustina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #8

My grey hairs are all over the place just like the rest of my hair. Gray, white, silver, steel, straight, kinky, curly, and everything in between.
It's not boring, doesn't look like everyone else's hair and gets alot of attention. I love it.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, Ojon Restorative Treatment, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
jeepcurlygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #9

Mine are all over the place as well - I've got white, sparkly white, sparkly silver, and even some rogue black and auburn hairs (my pre-gray color was light brown). I have no clue what that's about! Definitely keeps things interesting though!
Nuh-uh: heavy oils and butters, ACV, soap bars, olefin sulfonate, protein

GVP CB, CJ BC Argan & Olive Oil, and CJ CIAB for the W1N!
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #10

Mine is still kind of subtle. It's scattered about - a mix of pure white and silver layered over and streaked through my dark ash blonde/light ash brown hair. It sparkles the most in sunlight. Indoors it lends a bit of a "haze" effect over my hair. My favorite thing about it is that I don't have to ever worry about my roots showing or schedule my life around an appointment at the salon.
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

2poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #11

Mine are shiny silver. They're growing in at the front center and are quite long. I also have several silver patches growing in non-sequential areas so I'm unsure if they will play connect the dots until my entire head is silver.

Some of them are multi colored as the rest of my hair is jet black. The multicolored silver and black strands have about 2 inches of black then 2 inches silver and then black and silver again. I don't know how that happens lol.

Does anyone know what causes silver hair to grow? I've had some since I was a child but lately I believe it's the age that's causing the black hair to become the minority among my gray hairs

PRINCETON BROOKE
iMessage on iOS5
PrincetonBrooke@Me.com
PRINCETON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #12

I don't let mine stick around long enough to notice!

Will have a proper look before I dye them into oblivion on Monday. I suspect they'll be pretty dull.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #13

Mine look like white highlights.Free ones.
crwritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #14

Ok, had a close look both here at work and at home. At home they just look kinda dull, but at work where we have fluoro lights, they look a bit silvery/shiny. Very white though, which bodes well for the future.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCETON View Post
Mine are shiny silver. They're growing in at the front center and are quite long. I also have several silver patches growing in non-sequential areas so I'm unsure if they will play connect the dots until my entire head is silver.

Some of them are multi colored as the rest of my hair is jet black. The multicolored silver and black strands have about 2 inches of black then 2 inches silver and then black and silver again. I don't know how that happens lol.

Does anyone know what causes silver hair to grow? I've had some since I was a child but lately I believe it's the age that's causing the black hair to become the minority among my gray hairs

PRINCETON BROOKE
iMessage on iOS5
PrincetonBrooke@Me.com
Hair follicles contain a certain amount of pigment cells.
As we get older, the pigment cells in our hair follicles gradually die. When there are fewer pigment cells in a hair follicle, that strand of hair will no longer contain as much melanin and will become a more transparent color like gray, silver, or white as it grows. As people continue to get older, fewer pigment cells will be around to produce melanin. Eventually, the hair will look completely gray.

Not sure why your hair grows striped in some areas.

Some people are doing that on purpose
crwritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #16

@crwritt

Wow that sucks or maybe not lol they're paying for something mines does for free

Only thing is not knowing if it's free or a sign of some health problem I might have

PRINCETON BROOKE
iMessage on iOS5
PrincetonBrooke@Me.com
PRINCETON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondulee View Post
I've only recently noticed a few grays coming in mostly around my front hairline and the only way i see them is that they sort of 'sparkle' in that they are sort of shiny and silvery and they glint in the light as the angle changes. Almost like a white 'hilite'.

I don't think I would mind going gray if mine came in all sparkly like that.

My sisters grays are kind of dull and matte looking, they look like white thread with no shine at all and I think even though she is blond and I'm brunette, hers look more noticeable...

so, what are your grays like? Sparkly or matte?
Mine looks like this:

Last edited by Barbarosa; 08-08-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Barbarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #18

Smile Silvery-iron grey

I'm presently wearing my hair somewhat short, and it's almost all grey in the front, but still dark chestnut in back. I'm debating growing it out, though I do love the ease of (co)wash-and-wear hair. I'm still pretty new to all this, but, for the first time in my life, I LOVE my hair.
suayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #19

Always find it best to look without glasses on! However when I do look closer they are thick dull and uninteresting! Oh for silver threads that shine and sparkle.
Curl Junkie/Jessica Curls Cleanser/Aussie Shampoo
CO-Alternating Garnier Fructus Shine and Repair, Aubreys Honeysuckle Rose and Tresemme Oganic conditioner
LI-Garnier Shine and Repair
Style-Experimenting Boots Curl Creme, Umberto Giannini Shapely Mousse
maydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #20

thanks for all your comments, so interesting.

I was looking at my parents the other day to try and guage what my gray headed future will be like. As I mentioned in the OP, my greys are sparkly silver white.

So looking at my mom who is 70, she is still 99% brunette with about 10-15 white hairs in a tiny puff over her right eyebrow.... so since I have already plucked about 20 greys, I think I'll be more like my dad who started greying in his 50's. He's 75 now and has the softest silvery 'glowy' white hair, it's gorgeous, almost pure white and baby fine. If he let it grow longer, it would be curly too but he's got a cute little wave at the front. So, if I get his greying pattern and his colour pattern, I'll probably be ok with going grey. Just not yet
shoulder length inverted bob; fine; 3A-3B; med-thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; seems to hate moisturizing products and oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

receive $10 off 1st order of $40 & up, or $5 off on smaller orders, when using iHERB code: GIK909
Ondulee is offline   Reply With Quote
Trending Topics[-]hide