CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Over 40 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/)
-   -   What type of eyeliner do you wear? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/129138-what-type-eyeliner-do-you-wear.html)

Curlswirl 07-04-2011 08:40 AM

What type of eyeliner do you wear?

I am finding that as I get older black looks too harsh on me and dark brown liner on my top lid looks more natural.

What do you use? Is it a gel or a pencil liner? Do you wear mascara with it? Also, do those who wear glasses use any special colors or application techniques?

StayC 07-04-2011 09:13 AM

I wear whatever brand I get on sale, but I have found the crayon type works really well. Black is really harsh, you may want to try a dark gray or steel. I think I'm using Cover Girl at the moment. I'm not a real make-up person, but I will just wear my eyeliner and mascara (any type..just remember toss it after 2 months) and no eye shadow. I have found as I'm aging, the powder eye shadow flakes off more. If I do use eye shadow, I'll use a faint brown or pink and try a cream one. When I wore my glasses, I would put on more mascara and go heaver on the eyeliner. Gray is the way to go. Stay away from blues, greens and browns. They make you look older. If you look young like me (I'm going to be 48 soon.... GULP).. you can get away with it, but you will look silly.

Let me know what you choose and how it goes.

kasden 07-04-2011 09:45 AM

I use eye shadow as eye liner. I like dark brown or charcoal, depending on what color eye shadow I'm wearing. I apply it with a small angled brush I bought at Hobby Lobby. It blends well so it's not harsh and it doesn't smear in the hot/humid weather.

I do wear mascara with it, but only on the top lashes. I try to get it as close to the lash line as possible. If I use too much on the rest of my lashes I get spider lashes and it smears throughout the day (again with the hot/humid weather!).

ninja dog 07-04-2011 09:56 AM

I was taught to use navy blue powder with a flat brush, pressed into my upper lash line, to brighten the eye.

However, I mostly use a taupe or dark grey pencil. It's easier.

Spiralli 07-04-2011 10:06 AM

My HG for years was a brand of gel liner pencil (retractable, so no sharpening required) called Indelible Eyes. IMO, they are sort of the consistency of a soft crayon. Love these! They are nice for travel since a sharpener is not needed. And they come in lots of colors. They have the retractable part at one end, then a capped sponge tip at the other to help with blending. I never use this, I use my finger. I have oily lids and the lines tend to fade as the day progresses, unless I use a lid primer such as UDPP. The only downside to these pencils is that it's hard to tell how muh you have left. If you twist the gel/crayon piece up to too far, it can be hard to get it to retract all the way, if at all.

I bought a few MakeUp Forever Aqua Eyes pencils to see if I like them better. They are supposed to hold up well on oily lids. Haven't used them yet though.

I have light brown eyes. Brown liner pencils are no-decision/HG for me. I also use navy, a brownish-green, purple, coal gray, and black depending on what I am wearing.

Curlswirl 07-04-2011 10:21 AM

Does this liner and color look good?

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/s...Brown/Eyeliner

jeepcurlygurl 07-05-2011 02:37 PM

I use dark blue waterproof liquid liner. I'm using Avon right now and love the brush. Easy to use and it lasts a long time. I put it right in my lashes, not above and I wear black mascara.

curlypearl 07-05-2011 06:09 PM

I use a Long Wear Gel by Bobbi Brown in Bronze Shimmer. I had the same situation as you - black was too harsh. The Bronze Shimmer is very soft and natural looking, but BB makes many interesting colors besides black.

Pencils melt on my lid and irritate my eyes - the gel stays put. It lasts a very long time.

ETA: I mean the pot of gel lasts for years. The gel stays on your lid until you wash it off.

crwritt 07-05-2011 06:28 PM

Just a dark shade of mineral powder on a dampened
tiny brush.Usually dark brown, sometimes charcoal.

queenofdisks80 07-05-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninja dog (Post 1708802)
I was taught to use navy blue powder with a flat brush, pressed into my upper lash line, to brighten the eye.

This is what I was going to suggest. I'm not quite over 40 yet, but I've worked part time as a freelance make-up artist for 7 years now and have worked with ladies of all ages.

The eyeliner I personally use is Laura Mercier's tightliner. It's a dry, waxy eyeshadow that you then use a wet flatline brush w/ in order to create a shoe polish like consistency. You then follow your natural lash line, pressing and wiggling the liner into the base of your lashes (not on the white rim or it will run into your eye). It's so easy b/c you don't have to worry about drawing a perfect line and it's very natural as it enhances and thickens the base of your lash line.

If you have dark lashes then the black looks great, but if your lashes are fair, or you want a softer look, the midnight blue is a great choice. Somehow the dark brown in this line just doesn't look as natural.

rbb 07-06-2011 06:05 AM

i use a dark blue, midnight blue, right at the base of my lashes.
due to some allergies, i use concealer on my top eyelid, rarely use shadow. if i do, sometimes i just add more eyeliner a little higher than the base, and smudge it.
the one that works the best for me is estee lauder double wear.

Curlswirl 07-06-2011 06:21 AM

Thanks for all your responses everyone! Queen would blue marine work ?

Here are the colors they have available?

Tightline Cake Eye Liner | Laura Mercier

I have brown hair and eyes and sparse brown eyelashes.

queenofdisks80 07-06-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curlswirl (Post 1710122)
Thanks for all your responses everyone! Queen would blue marine work ?

Here are the colors they have available?

Tightline Cake Eye Liner | Laura Mercier

I have brown hair and eyes and sparse brown eyelashes.

Yes, blue marine was the color I was thinking of, I just couldn't recall the exact name. It's very attractive on and complements a wide variety of eyeshadow colors.

The only color I can think of off-hand that wouldn't be a great combo would be a flat warm brown. But gray/taupe browns, bronze, gray, peach, greens, blues, pinks all can work w/ the blue marine liner.

Here's a tip from someone in the business. If you're interested in the product then I suggest going to the Laura Mercier counter at a store such as Neiman Marcus, Nordstroms, or Saks. These stores provide the best customer service in terms of cosmetics (I've worked in and out of a variety of dept. stores). Also, unlike a place like Sephora, the ladies behind the counter are trained in that line and have much more extensive knowledge about the product. The product is not any more expensive at the high end store and the ladies are trained as artists who can show you how to use the products and how to create a look-you can even point out colors that you have at home and they can help you see if the blue marine will work w/ those colors.
HTH

curlypearl 07-06-2011 10:19 AM

Very interesting responses! When I can manage the $$ I'm looking into the mineral powder and also the Laura Mercier product. I have found the LM products generally excellent.

nandiknits 07-06-2011 10:54 AM

I love my Estee Lauder... I use the bronze and the purple (not at the same time). It's soft and doesn't drag when applied.

Curlswirl 07-06-2011 06:23 PM

Thanks Queen and everyone! I think I am going to try the marine blue liner on my top lid because I don't wear eyeshadow (I use concealer on my lids as you do rbb) and my hair and eyes are brown as well as my eyeglasses so I could use a little variation of color somewhere.

misspam 07-07-2011 12:22 PM

I love Bobbi Brown Long-wear Gel Eyeliners. They are easy to apply, last all day, and come in many beautiful colors. My favorite colors right now are Black Mauve Shimmer and Forest Shimmer. I have brown/green eyes and I have never worn black eyeliner as I think it looks awfully harsh. Some folks can pull it off, but I never could.

curlypearl 07-07-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misspam (Post 1711229)
I love Bobbi Brown Long-wear Gel Eyeliners. They are easy to apply, last all day, and come in many beautiful colors. My favorite colors right now are Black Mauve Shimmer and Forest Shimmer. I have brown/green eyes and I have never worn black eyeliner as I think it looks awfully harsh. Some folks can pull it off, but I never could.

I have brown green eyes also! The Black Mauve Shimmer was the one I almost got before buying Bronze Shimmer. I'll have to try that on again and also the Forest Shimmer. Thanks for posting!

Robin-in-FL 07-07-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kasden (Post 1708796)
I use eye shadow as eye liner. I like dark brown or charcoal, depending on what color eye shadow I'm wearing. I apply it with a small angled brush I bought at Hobby Lobby. It blends well so it's not harsh and it doesn't smear in the hot/humid weather.

I do wear mascara with it, but only on the top lashes. I try to get it as close to the lash line as possible. If I use too much on the rest of my lashes I get spider lashes and it smears throughout the day (again with the hot/humid weather!).

Almost to the word what I was going to post, LOL, except for the bit about Hobby Lobby! I just use a little of the eyeshadow and a small brush, smudging it into the upper and lower lash line, and yes mascara only ever on the top lashes.

Any dark color works fine, I have gray-so-dark-it's-black, a medium brown, dark purple, very dark blue and green, I always use the same brush so it's often a little muddy, but that just seems to make it look better.

misspam 07-09-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curlypearl (Post 1711419)
Quote:

Originally Posted by misspam (Post 1711229)

I have brown green eyes also! The Black Mauve Shimmer was the one I almost got before buying Bronze Shimmer. I'll have to try that on again and also the Forest Shimmer. Thanks for posting!

You'll love them! We are on the same wave length. :) I also thought about buying Bronze Shimmer. It's still on my list. I have Caviar but I try to reserve it for evenings as it's a very deep brown/black.