Night cream

Like Tree1Likes

Does anyone use a night cream that you would recommend highly?
I'm beginning to think they're all equally pointless, but hope springs eternal!

Thanks!
Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
Icequeen method
CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

Depends on what you have going on with your skin!
If you simply want to moisturize(no actives)very dry skin, then going with something like Cetaphil Cream is one's best bet, or unrefined shea butter or extra-virgin coconut oil if you want something pure and natural - either way is good.
However, if you're looking for something more, there are only a very few things presently that make a real difference in aging skin, that have a track record right now, in the midst of the endless hype out there in skincare world. They are:

- retinoids(Rx is most potent, but a good OTC one can help over a much longer period of time since it's a lot weaker than Rx)
- alpha hydroxy/glycolic acid products(great exfoliators - if on the sensitive side, a cleanser with these can be used, otherwise a lotion or a cream, preferably during the daytime, or alternating nights with the retinoid).
- vitamin C(anti-oxidant, skin brightener, boosts effectiveness of sunblock)
- hydroquinone or it's alternative, kojic acid(for skin lightening, as in evening out sunspots)
- using a good photostable sunblock(obviously the earlier one starts with this the better but some of us are older and didn't have them until relatively recently)
Some newer things include:
- pentapeptides
- coffeeberry(potent antioxidant)

Skincare science is constantly evolving though, so it pays to pay attention to what is being developed at the professional, almost medical-grade level. About that category, it's good to check in with a reputable medical spa(since they often feature a doctor, they can prescribe a retinoid), or a good esthetician, as the wrong product can screw up your skin big-time. They'll point the way to the right stuff for you.

Whatever you do, avoid over-priced, overly-fragranced, over-hyped department store creams - you know, the "hope in a jar"-type of stuff. Some of them might be "cosmetically-elegant" moisturizers(in that they spread nicely, "feel nice, smell nice)but don't expect anything more out of them if you can afford them. In this case, you're better off with that giant tub of Cetaphil because often that works better to simply moisturize than the expensive stuff!
Nothing really prevents aging, but things can be slowed down and look a good bit better. Be sure to eat very healthy(lots of produce and water - that does make a big difference)and plenty of exercise to get that circulation and healthy color going on.
Check out the skincare board at MUA, and product reviews too.
Hope this sheds light!
Yes, I think night cream is a very important part of a skincare routine, and it is where I put my $. I like the Avon Anew Ultimate one; and believe the Olay Regenerist is comparable.

But remember night creams basically do two things:
Moisturize
Exfoliate (causing skin to turn over faster)

They aren't magic.

If it's the right one for you, your skin will feel better in the morning than it did when you went to bed. I've used a night cream since I was about 20 and do absolutely believe that it's kept my face in much better condition. My skin now is better than my mom's was, and I certainly do not have 'good skin' naturally, it's just been taken care of pretty well.

If you haven't been getting the results you would like, it would be worth talking to the dermatologist and asking about the Retin-A cream. Basically it only does those same two things, too, but it's prescription strength so more potent.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
Try finding a really good one that is not all cone-filled! Argghh! It has about driven me batty!
I am trying not to use cones on face, body nor hair.

VERY few do not contain Dimethicone.
I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
Condition: DevaCurl OC
LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
Curl Enhancer:
CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler,CJRM
Try finding a really good one that is not all cone-filled! Argghh! It has about driven me batty!
I am trying not to use cones on face, body nor hair.

VERY few do not contain Dimethicone.
Originally Posted by justajesuschick
Hi JJC, why? I think cones are OK for skin...Skin turns over, hair doesn't. Silicones are pretty effective moisture retainers.

Have you tried this one? No silicones and I do like this company's body lotion a whole lot.

Alba | Moisturizers
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
I love the combo im using now. a copper cream with a retinoid. i try many things( i work at a medi spa so i have many of the top lines to choose from)but i keep going back to that combo.
I've actually had a lot of problems with cones in skincare products, FWIW. Dimethacone is okay if it's not one of the first seven ingredients, but the others break me out in cysts, and from what I understand, this isn't terribly unusual. (I highly recommend Mission Skincare's SPF 30 rejuvinating facial moisturizer to anyone looking for something of that ilk, BTW - SPF 30 is not quite strong enough for my super pale skin, but it works great for me as a moisturizer and the dimethacone in it doesn't break me out at all. My skin looks tons better than it did before I started using it. Too bad Mission doesn't make a night cream! )
Too wavy to be curly, too curly to be wavy
Fine (some exceptions may apply), low porosity (ditto), proudly rockin' my premature silver/white
More please: EVOO, honey
Nuh-uh: heavy oils and butters, ACV, soap bars, olefin sulfonate, protein

GVP CB, CJ BC Argan & Olive Oil, and CJ CIAB for the W1N!
Thanks everyone for the feedback!
Caramix - wow what a goldmine of information!
Thanks again!
Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
Icequeen method
CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

Should also emphasize, even though I mentioned sunblock in my reply here, if one is using any actives like retinoids or alpha hydroxy acids anywhere in one's routine, a good sunblock daily, year-round, any weather, etc. is mandatory, as actives like these do sensitize the skin to the sun and if you don't wear it, and do the actives, you're leaving your skin open to more damage than if you didn't use the actives and didn't wear sunblock. But we hope you're wearing a sunblock on face now anyway - there are too many reasons to, namely, that one's face is exposed all the time, whereas one has the option of covering up the rest of the body if one doesn't want to wear sunblock all over.
@Curlini - all of that info has been culled through research, hanging out on a couple of good skin care boards etc. and reading some dermatologist/medical spa type of sites. Also, a good book to read that will put you on the right track as far as what type of products to use on the skin is Dr. Leslie Baumann's The Skin Type Solution - it really does help if one has no clue. It's her opinion that fully 80% of women are using the wrong types of products for their skin, and no, she isn't pushing her own line of products either. She often recommends very affordable products, as well as Rx stuff as appropriate.
Another thing to keep in mind, unless one has very resistant skin(you know, the type that can almost use battery acid and be fine with it - yes, there are those people), go SLOW with adding a new active product to one's routine, in order to successfully introduce one's skin to it. However, even if one goes very slowly, and a sensitivity reaction occurs, then that product is not for you.
Again, hope this helps!
I especially like Mario Badescu products.Anti-Aging SkinCare | Anti-Aging Resource Center – Mario Badescu Skin Care
All natural, no flashy packaging, and wonderful on the skin.
Does anyone use a night cream that you would recommend highly?
I'm beginning to think they're all equally pointless, but hope springs eternal!

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Curlini
I've never used night cream and I'd put my skin against anyone my age for wrinkles and spots.

I question every single thing that marketers throw at me. My mom and grandma used every new-fangled cream they could put their hands on and I can't really say that it helped them out at all.

I do use coconut oil mixed with honey to cleanse and I will use witchhazel as an astringent if I ever feel I need one, but I believe there are a myriad of other ingredients that will work just as well.

Just my contrary two cents.

All good points Kitschy! Those relatives of yours likely fell for all the hyped-up stuff rather than tried and true, and even the tried and true has its limits LOL!
And for the record, if one has reactive skin, doing too much to it is never good - just a few good basic products, whether natural, DIY, or manufactured makes more sense. I myself tend to have reactive skin, so I have to be careful with what I use, or add to my routine. I can't go whole-hog on a bunch of stuff and it's just as well, I can't afford it anyway LOL!
Then there are the people who never do anything than wash with some soap, and moisturize sometimes with whatever hand lotion is hanging around, and their skin looks great - like they'd spent a mint on it LOL! That's genetics talking, and from what you describe about your skin, I suspect similar. Everyone has to find their happy medium as to what works, etc. Interestingly enough, it's often the genetically-gifted people in the skin department that tend to think that all skin care is BS, either that or people who have tried everything to improve their skin and nothing did anything. I suspect that many of us are somewhere in between.
Last but not least, is not to expect all that much of anything, the older one gets. While some good improvements are possible, nothing really stops aging its tracks, and it's more important to have a healthy lifestyle anyway - the skin care is the icing on the cake as it were. That healthy lifestyle does however slow down and mitigate some of the aging stuff. We have to work with what we have and live in the present. Saves a lot of trouble, and a lot of money too, save for what one actually goes for for skin care, etc.
Hope this helps those who are searching and makes them feel better.
They all basically work the same. Unfortunately there is no magic in any of the face creams. As we get older we loose the elasticity in our skin and the one key player in that is genetics. It really doesn't matter what you use on your face, just as long as you keep your face moisturized. I'll be 48 in just a few short months, don't look a day over 32; so I've been told and all I wash my face with is the old fashioned Noxzema. I don't use face cream because I feel they are a waste of money and my little blue tub has been serving me good since I was 12 years old.

I'm not telling anyone not to use face cream, but if you think spending $60 on 0.2 oz is going to make a difference, it's not. It's really no different than some oil of olay.

Hair Type : 2c/3a
Hair Texture - Fine
Porosity - Normal
Elasticity- Low

Every curly should get a hair analysis

i use burts bees carrot night cream after the shower and thats it, also use hawaiian tropic royal tanning blend after swimming in the lake...unpetroleum jelly around eyes, on lips and in nose.
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
I like aubrey organics lumessence lift with CoQ10

Sent from my DROID X2 using CurlTalk App
I always seem to go back to Olay's Age Defying night cream. It is not expensive, makes no huge claims, has an exfoliant in it. Sometimes I use it during the day too. I agree with the previous poster about questioning what the cosmetics industry dishes out. They try to convince us that we can have a miracle on lines and wrinkles. There is no miracle other than staying out of the sun - and being altered with plastic surgery.
I am 30 and have acne prone skin but still feel a bit dry at times. I use the say yes to carrots night cream ($15 at target). It is nice and moisturizing and doesn't break me out.

Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App
Robin
*mama to 3 little boys and a 4th due in early March
*3a shoulder length curls
*experimenting with the CG method
Oh and I second the Mario Badescu recommendation. I love their honey moisturizer but I go through the $30 little bottle so fast I had to find an alternative.

Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App
Robin
*mama to 3 little boys and a 4th due in early March
*3a shoulder length curls
*experimenting with the CG method
I use inexpensive cleansers and oils for most of my skin care routines. I use an oil (usually jojoba) as a night time moisturizer. That's about it. Since I stopped using all the fancy skin care products, my skin is so much happier. No more cysts or zits, no oily or dry patches, no more blackheads or whiteheads. And my wallet is much happier too.
But that's not for everyone, I know.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
I think people with good family genes can get away with using the lesser priced products.

My mother didn’t wear makeup and washed her face with Ivory soap and slapped on Noxzema at night (back in the day before better options were available). It worked for her.

I got into a nighttime routine only for sake of remembering to wash off my daily makeup. I wash with L’Occitane Foaming Red Rice Cleanser (soap free) and it actually has a moisturizer in it so it’s like one stop shopping for me.

In the summer time as I spend most my time in the sun – after I cleanse, I add extra virgin coconut oil as a night cream after I do my face wash.

Trending Topics