Shine for Graying/Natural Color?

Well, as my hair grows out to its natural color, I detect more of a soft gray with mostly ash. I'm not as gray as I thought, but I'm gonna love it, nonetheless.

But I need help in the shine and frizz department. I've been sulfate and silicone free for many months, though I'm so tempted to find something that will hold my curls and give them longer-lasting shine in these summer months.

What do you do? Do you break some of the rules in your humid summers? And if so, what products do you recommend?
Used Baking Soda Sampoo Recipe and it works! Also rinsed with Apple Cider Vinegar and that made the gray curls shine like crazy. 1 tbsp of BS to one cup of warm water. Concentrate on the roots. Leave in for five minutes and rinse... 2 tbsp ACV to 1 cup of warm water. Saturate hair and rinse or leave in.
Amazing results...nice defined, frizz free curls that shine even after 3 hours of exposure to high humidity.

Last edited by Barbarosa; 07-25-2011 at 02:45 PM.
This was taken three hours after being in high humidity. The BS and ACV really work!
Thank you, Barbarosa. Your curls are super-shiningly beautiful, and defined. Do you use this every time that you shampoo, or just when things start to go downhill?
Thank you, Barbarosa. Your curls are super-shiningly beautiful, and defined. Do you use this every time that you shampoo, or just when things start to go downhill?
Originally Posted by Gracings
Hi Gracings
Thank you so much! I do this only every ten days. Condition poo in between with Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner. The curls in your picture look very much like mine. Have hated my curls for so very long but since letting them go gray, they have become very healthy. Trying to grow them to shoulder length. I'm 64 and will try not to think about what's "age appropriate" It's all about attitude, dont you thinnk?
Good to know. I did the baking soda last night. I've done the vinegar before, but didn't do that last night. There is definitely more shine! My curls aren't consistent, but I was in dry A/C.

Our curls do look similar and I'm wishing you the best in your grow-out. I just turned 50, and am trying to continue my growing out to bra strap length for more updo options. Age....bah! It's all in how we look best, for sure!
Hi Gracings
So glad to hear that you got shining curls with the BS. One other thing I forgot to mention in my last message... no more towels to dry your hair. Use a tee shirt to gently blot out the moisture. It makes a difference!
I just did the baking soda wash/ acv rinse, then added a tiny bit of pure argan oil, then Softee protein gel.
I get so much root lift when I do the bs/acv.Is this true for you?
Haven't done this in ages,Thanks for reminding me!
Yes, I noticed that too! The lift is definitely better especially on top. Today after co washing I mixed a little Deva One Condition with the ACV in a cup of water, poured it on and did NOT rinse. My hair just loves it. Just wondering if too much of a good thing might not be so good. Anyone know if using the ACV too often will cause problems?
How much oil? I used olive oil once and it mademy hair really greasy.

Last edited by Barbarosa; 07-26-2011 at 12:17 PM.
How much oil? I used olive oil once and it mademy hair really greasy.
Originally Posted by Barbarosa
Just the tiniest drop, rubbed over the front and backs
of my hands and worked through my hair.Really just enough to make my hands shiny, that's all I use when I
put oil in my hair.
Yes, I noticed that too! The lift is definitely better especially on top. Today after co washing I mixed a little Deva One Condition with the ACV in a cup of water, poured it on and did NOT rinse. My hair just loves it. Just wondering if too much of a good thing might not be so good. Anyone know if using the ACV too often will cause problems?
Originally Posted by Barbarosa
I use it after a coconut oil pre poo and rinse it out.

Coconut oil (tiny bit) over night, low poo wash, Acv rinse and rinse out. They used to call it oil shampooing.

I flip flop on my methods so I don't think I'll O.D. on it.
Thanks so much for this information. I saved the recipe. I used to use a blue shampoo but it had sulfates so no more. Barbarosa--your silver curls are beautiful! This is what I am hoping for. When I transitioned to gray I always used rollers and a blow dryer to straighten my hair. I'm so excited to now be silver and naturally curly.
Thanks so much for this information. I saved the recipe. I used to use a blue shampoo but it had sulfates so no more. Barbarosa--your silver curls are beautiful! This is what I am hoping for. When I transitioned to gray I always used rollers and a blow dryer to straighten my hair. I'm so excited to now be silver and naturally curly.
Originally Posted by silverbeth
If you want a purple/blue tint for your cowash, you can get the Ardell red gold corrector at Sally's and add it to any shampoo or conditioner you like.
That's also good to know. I used the blue shampoo about once a week to brighten the silver.
2a/3a type hair; med/fine texture; natural silver w/brown
CG since 7/19/11, growing out short pixie to chin or shoulder length
Devacurl No-Poo, One-condition, AnGel, recently LA Looks,
[QUOTE=silverbeth;1727913]Thanks so much for this information. I saved the recipe. I used to use a blue shampoo but it had sulfates so no more. Barbarosa--your silver curls are beautiful! This is what I am hoping for. When I transitioned to gray I always used rollers and a blow dryer to straighten my hair. I'm so excited to now be silver and naturally curly.[/QUOTE

Congratulations Silverbeth! So happy for you for making the decision to go completely natural. Thanks for your kind words. It is so much easier this way. Your hair is going to be so healthy too.
I kept getting frequent cuts during the transition but now I'm trying for little more length. The curls seem to be less tight when there's length. Last hair dresser wanted to keep it "age appropriate" but that's alot of nonsense. Good luck in your adventure. You're gonna love it!
Thank you Barbarosa! I can already feel a difference in my hair after only 1 week of CG--it's much softer. I still can't believe it looks OK without all rollers and blow drying! What freedom!

I also hate hearing about what's "age appropriate". I believe that as long as we are not harming anyone else we have a right to do what makes us happy, short hair, medium, long... I'm 56--and I see no harm in having longer silver curly hair. It's all fun!
2a/3a type hair; med/fine texture; natural silver w/brown
CG since 7/19/11, growing out short pixie to chin or shoulder length
Devacurl No-Poo, One-condition, AnGel, recently LA Looks,

Last edited by silverbeth; 07-28-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Silverbeth, I'm with you! There are no rules. I am 64 and have never really like my curls until now. So I'm growing them! As long as they are healthy is what's important. I too was a slave to the hot iron, curlers and chemicals. Wish I had done this sooner.
Another 'rule' breaker here. I wear my hair, clothes, jewelry, whatever that I like no matter what others say.

I've used vinegar rinses for a few decades and my hair loves them. And it does add some shine. I also us a dab of Ojon Restorative for shine and to control flyawayss.
I've never tried a baking soda rinse but will do that sometime.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Cheers to you Jeepy! Your hair is beautiful! You are my idol! (especially now since Cindy Joseph went blond for Nivea.) Ofcourse she is gorgeous no matter what color her hair is but I loved it so much gray. Going to try and get my hair to your length. It should be easier now that I stopped the madness . Will try the Ojon. Where can I find it?

Trending Topics