Now this is short!

Hi All

Spend many a happy evening lurking on here, lapping up all the useful tips and experiences you curlies are willing to share.
I have fought with my poor hair for years, recently having the pixie of pixies just to keep control.
I am really struggling to get any kind of style without looking really frumpy, well more frumpy than normal.
Any how bit the bullet and hopefully have put a couple of pics in album to see if anyone can give advice on some sort of style or even where I should be aiming towards.
Love the openness and sharing you guys do of the trials and tribulations of ageing, it has given me the confidence to post and put up an album. Will update my sig with my present ever changing routine.
TIA
Oh dear no album, thought it would be at the bottom, any advice on how to put it there?
No way can I put my picture along with question, but would like to put album below post, is that in the signature? TIA again!

Last edited by maydew; 08-03-2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Album
Just checking to see if album working!
Still experimenting!
Hair 2c+3a?
Mainly coarse and porous.
Curl Junkie/Jessica Curls Cleanser/Aussie Shampoo
CO-Alternating Garnier Fructus Shine and Repair, Aubreys Honeysuckle Rose and Tresemme Oganic conditioner
LI-Garnier Shine and Repair
Style-Experimenting Boots Curl Creme, Umberto Giannini Shapely Mousse
Your link is taking me to the main photobucket page, so it's not working yet.
Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
Northern VA
Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
Dye-free since 11/2010

Think it's working now Rustina, although to be honest don't think there is a lot of advice you guys can give other than "hang on in there".
On a lighter note I actually saved your picture, not the one's you have in your siggy which are stunning, but another I found in the short hair section. I put it on my phone to take to hairdresser.
Tried the second day spritz I read recently, of a little conditioner, little BRHG and water and it worked quite well.
Still experimenting!
Hair 2c+3a?
CO-Alternating Garnier Fructus Shine and Repair, Aubreys Honeysuckle Rose and Tresemme Oganic conditioner
I have a picture in the short hair section?? Wait, is it the one attached below? I liked that haircut - it was so easy to take care of. If that's the one you want to take to your hairdresser, be aware that my hair was razored to death in that photo, which is generally a no-no for curlies.

Your link is working for me now! You have some nice curl and color variation going on there! The key for me, to making short hair not look frumpy, is in the volume. Your hair in those photos lies very close to your head, so maybe fluff it up a little? Not when it's dry, because that'll just make an undefined poof, which I'm guessing is not what you want. But when it's wet, make sure there's enough gel in there and then sort of scrunch it around with your fingers so that it stands up a bit more. Use clips at the roots if you need to. And maybe pull the bangs and side pieces a bit forward so they're laying more on your forehead and temples than swept to the side and back.

When I had super short hair, I'd blot it with a towel so it wasn't dripping, then coat my hands in gel and just rub them over my head back and forth until all my hair was covered. That would make my hair almost stand up on end, like it was spiked, and then I would go clump by clump and gently pull pieces of hair in the direction I wanted them to go in. And then I didn't touch it until it was dry. Once it was, I'd gently scrunch out the crunch so that it maintained the height and position.

I think also a little more length will make it easier to style for you, especially around the bottom and sides. Looking at your straight-on shot, there's no hair showing at your neck, which tells me that either it's curling backward or too short to show. I always told my hairdresser to leave enough length at the bottom so that it wouldn't lay flat and I could see it below my ears.

Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Now this is short!-photo-12.jpg  
Northern VA
Dye-free since 11/2010

That's really helpful I am a bit wary of too much gel as I grew up in the days of the brylcreem boys!!!! Will certainly give that a go. Must admit just decided to take the pictures without much thought and could probably have styled it better. I do have some length at the back which does show below the ear with a bit of work, so will include that in my routine. Excited now to try something different, what the heck it can't do any harm, in fact going to do it right now
Still experimenting!
Hair 2c+3a?
Fun! I love experimenting. If you come up with something you like, let us see it!
Northern VA
Dye-free since 11/2010

Thanks for the styling tips Rustina!
I had my hair cut about 2 weeks ago & its very similar to yours in your short picture (really suits you by the way) except slightly longer if you get what I mean! But the curl pattern is about the same.
I'm still getting used to styling it this way & I am going to try with just leave in & gel today, for some reason I decided to buy some 'T&G Funky Gum' & have been adding it to my hair when dry & I think that's what's making me too pouffy, also the fact that I cant seem to stop touching it now it's short!
Maydew - I agree with the advice about having a few longer bits, just looks more stylish, also I am using about the same amount of gel than when my hair was in a bob, I think the shorter cut needs the hold.
I am loving my short hair though, it really does suit me better, it's so much easier to manage & have had lots more compliments than when I had my bob cut.
U.K curly

2C/3A Wavy Whirly & Curly Twirly.
Golden brown with highlights.
Low poo: Dr Organic, L'Oreal Everpure.
Conditioner: Dr Organic Argan Oil, Boots Coconut & Almond.
Leave In: Dr Organic, Boots,.
Gel: JF Frizz Ease, Umberto Gianni.
Glad you're loving your new short 'do!!

Sent from my iPhone using the CurlTalk app!
Northern VA
Dye-free since 11/2010

Trending Topics