CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Over 40 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/)
-   -   Satin or Silk Pillowcases (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/132952-satin-silk-pillowcases.html)

ShrekLover 09-12-2011 02:51 PM

Satin or Silk Pillowcases
 
Does anyone use them? I keep reading that they are so much better for your hair and face.

I have some in a basket online, but I'm not sure if I should get queen or standard. I have queen bed but I'm pretty sure I just buy standard pillows. However, my sheets are for a queen so that would make the pillowcases I have queens right?

rbb 09-12-2011 05:06 PM

i thought pillows were standard/queen, or king, only two choices. but i could be wrong.

i use satin pillowcases at night and my hair is so much better in the morning than when i use my cotton ones.

ShrekLover 09-13-2011 09:18 AM

This site has 3 choices, that's what is confusing. Thanks, I think I'll get them in standard.

ShrekLover 09-19-2011 02:44 PM

I used my pillowcase last night for the first time and woke up with lines in my cheek.

FrizzBgone 12-18-2011 11:16 AM

I love my silk pillow cases. I started with satin and hated it. I found satin cases slipped onto the floor and made me sweat. Silk is a natural fibre; I much prefer it. I also bought some for my daughter and it has made a huge difference in her hair. What used to be a morning tangle disaster (even with her hair pineappled) stopped after using silk pillow cases.

Mimi2010 12-18-2011 05:33 PM

I have been able to locate silk head scarves nor silk pillow cases. Where did u get urs?


Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

CurvyCurly 12-18-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimi2010 (Post 1838658)
I have been able to locate silk head scarves nor silk pillow cases. Where did u get urs?


Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk


I love my silk pillow cases; satin is okay and will do if they are the only ones you can find as they are still better than cotton by far. I found mine at Bed Bath and Beyond about four years ago.

Mimi2010 12-18-2011 08:33 PM

Thanks CC!


Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

susancnw 12-20-2011 07:58 PM

Am so glad to hear this. My daughter and I were given a ton of dupoini silk panels 88" x 44". Since her wedding dress will not be made from them, I'm considering using one for pillowcases...have satin right now but the seam is tearing...it is 20 years old at least and I'd like silk.

Susan


Quote:

Originally Posted by FrizzBgone (Post 1838467)
I love my silk pillow cases. I started with satin and hated it. I found satin cases slipped onto the floor and made me sweat. Silk is a natural fibre; I much prefer it. I also bought some for my daughter and it has made a huge difference in her hair. What used to be a morning tangle disaster (even with her hair pineappled) stopped after using silk pillow cases.


RedCatWaves 12-27-2011 10:13 PM

Silk is a fiber, satin is the type of weave. You can get satin in silk, nylon, polyester, etc. If the fiber used for the satin is cotton, then it's called a sateen. Confused?

The best choice for hair and face skin is a silk pillowcase in a satin weave...which to confuse you further, is usually called charmeuse. Dupioni isn't a satin...it's the natural looking silk that has slubs and a low sheen, which while it looks very nice, won't produce the nice results for the face/hair that a good silk charmeuse would.

If you get a silk charmeuse pillowcase, look for a momme (mummy, MM) weight of 19-20 or higher. Anything lower and it won't be very durable. There are lots of 16 mm charmeuse pillowcases out there in big-box linen stores that will just waste your money. I've had good luck buying silk on eBay directly from vendors in China or Hong Kong.

crwritt 12-28-2011 07:40 AM

I've been using cheap polyester satin pillowcases for a couple years now. It has made a definate difference in how my hair looks when I wake up. Silk would probably be even better. If you just want to give it a try, start with the inexpensive alternative, see what you think.

justajesuschick 12-28-2011 07:47 AM

I got mine here:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

They wash beautifully. They hold up very well. Unless you leave one out and a puppy gnaws a corner...haha! That was CLEARLY my fault and not that of the pillowcase.

The shipping was very fast both times I ordered and no additional cost.

rbb 12-31-2011 02:45 PM

you can get them on curlmart, that's where i got mine.

WavyRtNow 06-05-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justajesuschick (Post 1844792)
I got mine here:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

They wash beautifully. They hold up very well. Unless you leave one out and a puppy gnaws a corner...haha! That was CLEARLY my fault and not that of the pillowcase.

The shipping was very fast both times I ordered and no additional cost.

Thank you for the ebay link. I've ordered 1 after reading the reviews about silk vs. satin which I currently have and haven't noticed any difference in my hair in the morning. I can't wait until my new pillowcase arrives!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com