Satin or Silk Pillowcases

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By FrizzBgone
  • 1 Post By CurvyCurly
  • 1 Post By Mimi2010
  • 1 Post By susancnw
  • 1 Post By RedCatWaves

Does anyone use them? I keep reading that they are so much better for your hair and face.

I have some in a basket online, but I'm not sure if I should get queen or standard. I have queen bed but I'm pretty sure I just buy standard pillows. However, my sheets are for a queen so that would make the pillowcases I have queens right?
i thought pillows were standard/queen, or king, only two choices. but i could be wrong.

i use satin pillowcases at night and my hair is so much better in the morning than when i use my cotton ones.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
This site has 3 choices, that's what is confusing. Thanks, I think I'll get them in standard.
I used my pillowcase last night for the first time and woke up with lines in my cheek.
I love my silk pillow cases. I started with satin and hated it. I found satin cases slipped onto the floor and made me sweat. Silk is a natural fibre; I much prefer it. I also bought some for my daughter and it has made a huge difference in her hair. What used to be a morning tangle disaster (even with her hair pineappled) stopped after using silk pillow cases.
JacquelynSophie likes this.
Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
I have been able to locate silk head scarves nor silk pillow cases. Where did u get urs?

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
I have been able to locate silk head scarves nor silk pillow cases. Where did u get urs?

Originally Posted by Mimi2010

I love my silk pillow cases; satin is okay and will do if they are the only ones you can find as they are still better than cotton by far. I found mine at Bed Bath and Beyond about four years ago.
(Current Rotation) Shampoo: Trader Joe's TTT, Terressentials, Elucence, Curl Junkie Daily Fix Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Leave-in/Moisturizer: Qhemet's BRBC Gel: Tresemme Oils: Grapeseed, jojoba, evoo, sweet almond, castor....BIG CHOPPED AGAIN!
Thanks CC!

Am so glad to hear this. My daughter and I were given a ton of dupoini silk panels 88" x 44". Since her wedding dress will not be made from them, I'm considering using one for pillowcases...have satin right now but the seam is tearing...it is 20 years old at least and I'd like silk.

Susan

I love my silk pillow cases. I started with satin and hated it. I found satin cases slipped onto the floor and made me sweat. Silk is a natural fibre; I much prefer it. I also bought some for my daughter and it has made a huge difference in her hair. What used to be a morning tangle disaster (even with her hair pineappled) stopped after using silk pillow cases.
Originally Posted by FrizzBgone
My son wears combat boots (and a parachute).
The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

Silk is a fiber, satin is the type of weave. You can get satin in silk, nylon, polyester, etc. If the fiber used for the satin is cotton, then it's called a sateen. Confused?

The best choice for hair and face skin is a silk pillowcase in a satin weave...which to confuse you further, is usually called charmeuse. Dupioni isn't a satin...it's the natural looking silk that has slubs and a low sheen, which while it looks very nice, won't produce the nice results for the face/hair that a good silk charmeuse would.

If you get a silk charmeuse pillowcase, look for a momme (mummy, MM) weight of 19-20 or higher. Anything lower and it won't be very durable. There are lots of 16 mm charmeuse pillowcases out there in big-box linen stores that will just waste your money. I've had good luck buying silk on eBay directly from vendors in China or Hong Kong.
poemaXX likes this.
I've been using cheap polyester satin pillowcases for a couple years now. It has made a definate difference in how my hair looks when I wake up. Silk would probably be even better. If you just want to give it a try, start with the inexpensive alternative, see what you think.
I got mine here:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

They wash beautifully. They hold up very well. Unless you leave one out and a puppy gnaws a corner...haha! That was CLEARLY my fault and not that of the pillowcase.

The shipping was very fast both times I ordered and no additional cost.
I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
Condition: DevaCurl OC
LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
Curl Enhancer:
CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler,CJRM
you can get them on curlmart, that's where i got mine.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
I got mine here:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

They wash beautifully. They hold up very well. Unless you leave one out and a puppy gnaws a corner...haha! That was CLEARLY my fault and not that of the pillowcase.

The shipping was very fast both times I ordered and no additional cost.
Originally Posted by justajesuschick
Thank you for the ebay link. I've ordered 1 after reading the reviews about silk vs. satin which I currently have and haven't noticed any difference in my hair in the morning. I can't wait until my new pillowcase arrives!

Trending Topics