Day lotion?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Myrna

There is a post here about night creams. I would like to know what my fellow curlies over 40 like as a daily lotion. I have sort of combination skin, and I cannot stand anything with oil in it anywhere on my person, including face and hair. Thoughts?
My skin is normal to dry, I have mild rosacea and my skin is ridiculously sensitive. So, mine may be very different, perhaps, than yours.
I like to have a sunscreen in my face cream for day. I do not use silicone in any face or body product.

I use Lavanila spf 40 (natural, not chemical, sunscreen). A tube lasts me months!
Sephora: LAVANILA The Healthy Sun Screen SPF 40 Face Cream: Sun Protection

If I feel particularly dry I use Hugo Naturals All Over Lotion underneath. It comes in Unscented and my sensitive skin also likes the Shea and Oatmeal.
Buy Hugo Naturals - All Over Lotion Enriching Shea Butter & Oatmeal - 8 oz. at LuckyVitamin.com
I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
Condition: DevaCurl OC
LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
Curl Enhancer:
CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler,CJRM
I have oily/combination skin and I've been very happy the last few years using L'Occitane Red Rice Ultra Matte Face Fluid.

It's super light with a velvety texture. It's pricey but to me worth every penny because I haven't found anything that compares to it.

I use the whole Red Rice line including the face mask. The face mask doesn't smell all that great - sort of a clay smell but it leaves your face feeling like you put mositurzer on afterwards.

I use Cetaphil. My skin is dry.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
Ever since I found it more than 15 years ago:

Olay Complete Daily Facials Sensitive Skin SPF 15.

I am devoted to this stuff, as are many others. Olay changed the formula a couple of years ago and got so much blowback they changed it back!

This is the first, and for a long time the only chemical sunscreen that did not cause immediate skin reaction on my face. I got 'sensitized' at about 10yo to sunscreens and for a long long time could not wear any - if I accidentally used any cosmetic with chemical sunscreen it would cause big reaction involving purple puffed up eyelids and big blotchy rash lasting up to a week. I still have problems with some sunscreens but never this one, even though it contains the one i originally thought was causing my reaction.

If my skin gets dryer, I think I'm just layering oil under this stuff. Not even going to bother with anything else. Between this and foundation I figure I get about SPF 30; I don't tan and skin in good shape. Big love for this.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
Even though I'm not super-dry it takes more than a lotion to moisturize my skin - I use Cetaphil Cream, plus CeraVe AM(the SPF day one)lotion over it as my sunblock. I do NOT go for anything fancy at all for creams and lotions because although my skin is normal to very slightly oily, it's sensitive, and easily dehydrated. Nor am I fooled by advertising and fancy packaging. Cetaphil is plain and basic and in a basic jar, but it works so well! I've been using it for 12 years now.
I've got combo skin and used to break out. For daytime I use a tinted moisturizer with a biologic sunscreen - Barely There Sheer Matte Tint w/SPF 20 I love it - keeps the shine down, oil-free, doesn't cause breakouts and protects w/sunscreen.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I use foundation also, do you find that this product gives you enough coverage?
I never did use a foundation, so it's enough for me. I know you can order a sample(s) - that might be the way to go - to check for color, coverage and to make sure it agrees with your skin.
2Poodles Southeast PA
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I like the Wexler cream from Bath and Body Works, but lately I've been using the Dr. Lewinn for Kinerase line at Wal-mart. I can tell my skin looks firmer and smoother when I wear it.
2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
I have issues with SPF. Its in everything now, foundations, creams, lotions - first, I think its overkill; second, SPF can cause irritation, and for me, it has, and on my eyelids. I stop using my foundation with sunscreen when this happens (has happened more than once); and the eyelid problem disappears. I emailed Paula's Choice with a q about sunscreens and the gentleman who replied concurred and said he has had eye irritations with sunscreen also. So, I would prefer to find a basic, oil free lotion for the day with no sunscreen. Seems hard to find.
rbb likes this.
I've got combo skin and used to break out. For daytime I use a tinted moisturizer with a biologic sunscreen - Barely There Sheer Matte Tint w/SPF 20 I love it - keeps the shine down, oil-free, doesn't cause breakouts and protects w/sunscreen.
Originally Posted by 2poodles
I'm going to try this.
I have issues with SPF. Its in everything now, foundations, creams, lotions - first, I think its overkill; second, SPF can cause irritation, and for me, it has, and on my eyelids. I stop using my foundation with sunscreen when this happens (has happened more than once); and the eyelid problem disappears. I emailed Paula's Choice with a q about sunscreens and the gentleman who replied concurred and said he has had eye irritations with sunscreen also. So, I would prefer to find a basic, oil free lotion for the day with no sunscreen. Seems hard to find.
Originally Posted by Myrna
OK, then I think you need to search for "face lotion" not "day lotion" because just about anything marketed as "day lotion" will have sunscreen.

If you have an Avon rep, ask to try the Mark Calm and Composed face lotion. I think it might be exactly right for you; light and moisturizing but not at all oily. Not enough moisture for someone very dry but the texture probably would feel good to you. No sunscreen in that one.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
You might try the CeraVe plain lotion or the cream - neither of these have SPF in them and either a bottle or a jar of these will last a long time when used on the face. Very soothing and effective and both strengthen the skin's barrier too, making it easier to hold on to moisture.
I have dry/combination skin that's also highly sensitive to nearly every normal moisturizer (I get hives from many ingredients).

The I use Kiss My Face's "Under Age" from their Obsessively Organic line with excellent results. No oily feeling, it sinks right in (and smells like roses).
jo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* 3a/3b from birth with short forays into chemical/juice can straightening
* texture: fine; porosity: normal
* over 40 (by a bunch); naturally greying
* Cleanse/Condition: DC NoPoo/OneC
* PT: IAGirl's PT/Sally GVP Reconstructor
* Styling: CHS CK: DC SIF; DC A/AA mixed
* HG:CHS CK
Originally Posted by 2poodles
I'm going to try this.
Originally Posted by ninja dog

Hope you like it!
2Poodles Southeast PA

I want SPF (not near my eyes--it completely bums me out that I can't find concealer without SPF), but I'm still searching for something oil-free with at least SPF 15 that won't make my face slick. Can't find a thing that fits this description. My tinted moisturizer is only SPF 20, I don't like to go with that alone.

Trending Topics