Does menopause make your hair lose it's curl?

I am so sad. I think I'm reverting back to my pre-adolescent state of straight-ish hair.

I never really had super curly hair until I went into puberty and now my hair is growing in all silky smooth. Unfortunately I can't say for sure if it was the fact I just started no shampoo routine, Henna, or Menopause as they all seemed to be around the same time.

Only the first few inches are straight. the ends still hold a nice 3a/b curl, so I have to guess that the henna is not the culprit. Then again maybe the part that was damaged most (by chemical hair coloring) is the only part that holds the curl? That's weird but an accurate statement.

Maybe I just need a haircut, which I really did not want to do.

Any thoughts on this?
are you doing something different in your routine, like blow drying your hair? that lessens the curl.
what products are you using? maybe some are too drying?? or too heavy??
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
oh my gosh! I just bought a blow dryer with a diffuser and have used it a couple of times just to get my hair to start drying.

Thank you, clever girl!!!
if you are using a diffuser it should not make your hair straighter, i thought maybe you were blow drying it without one. sorry!

deep conditioner, a haircut, daily moisture.... a protein treatment.... all things to do. good luck!
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
well, i am way post menopause, at least 6 years and my hair is still pretty curly. however, allowing the gray to grow in has resulted in some straight pieces esp when i have put it in a pony tail. it used to bounce back better when i was coloring...
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
I'm sorry to have to say this, but Yes . Anyone who is going through hormonal changes like menapause is experiencing this. Your hair may start to get straighter or thinner in different sections of your head...its weird. If you have a real thick head of hair, it may not be noticeable to anyone else, but it will be to you.
I'm sorry to have to say this, but Yes . Anyone who is going through hormonal changes like menapause is experiencing this. Your hair may start to get straighter or thinner in different sections of your head...its weird. If you have a real thick head of hair, it may not be noticeable to anyone else, but it will be to you.
Originally Posted by Sexychocolate
i am sure that happens for many women, but that was not my experience. my hair did not get thicker, thinner, curlier or straighter. stayed the same to me, my stylist, colorist, family and friends. and, my friends and family did not experience any changes when they went through menopause.
i did lose hair with my pregnancies which did grow back, but luckily, menopause did not change it.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
[QUOTE

i am sure that happens for many women, but that was not my experience. my hair did not get thicker, thinner, curlier or straighter. stayed the same to me, my stylist, colorist, family and friends. and, my friends and family did not experience any changes when they went through menopause.
i did lose hair with my pregnancies which did grow back, but luckily, menopause did not change it.[/QUOTE byrbb

That is wonderful most, (not all) the women have experienced thinning or lose.
Hormonal changes can definitely affect curl pattern. Many women's hair becomes less curly at menopause, sadly.
Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!
I'm four years post menopause and my hair didn't get any thinner or straighter. My hair looks straighter because I am now past waist length instead of shoulder length, but it really isn't.

I think that hormones can affect the texture of your hair sometimes.

But why are you sad?

There is nothing wrong with straight hair, just as there is nothing wrong with curly hair.

As long as your hair in good condition you should be happy.

Edit: No, that was wrong. You should be happy regardless of the condition of your hair. There are more important things in life than hair.

Trending Topics