in search of sheer lip color...

Like Tree5Likes

that isn't too shimmery (kiss of death!) or shiny. I used to use Neutrogena MoistureShine Lip Sheer (in the silver tube), but it has been discontinued. I tried Revlon's Colorburst because it is billed as having a "featherlight" feel. It isn't too much color, but after a few days of using it, my lips are horribly chapped. That may be a coincidence (it just got kind of cold here and we have started running the heat), but I didn't like the sticky feel of the lipstick anyway.

I'd really, really like to find something that gives a little more color than a tinted lip balm, but is still sheer, not shimmery, and not too shiny. Help!
i'd love to find one, too! the ones i've tried in the past (forgot brands) were not the shade i wanted and they were drying.
sometimes i've used lipstick, blot it mostly off, then top it off with lip balm. but still not what i am looking for.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
I use Clinique's "almost lipstick". It's really nice. They may only have the black honey shade now, but it looks nice on many different skin tones. I'm very fair and pink, and my mother is olive complected and looks nice in it too. The color looks scary in the tube, but is not that dark if you put it on. I have their "chubby stick" too. That one comes in different shades. I think I have the raisin one. Here is a link to the chubby sticks:

Sephora: Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm: Lip Treatments
Started CG July 8, 2008

Pre Co-wash: Coconut oil (plain & rosemary)
Co-wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle or Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
Rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm
Leave-in/Styling: Moisture Maniac with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner on top
The new Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butters are getting rave reviews over on MUA and a couple of other boards that I frequent. They just came out and are at some drugstores. They will be part of Revlon's permanent line after the beginning of the year. Keep looking for these - some people have had trouble finding them. 20 shades raging from very light sheers up to somewhat more pigmented ones. Very very moisturizing too - many former users of stuff like Burts's Bees colored lip balms have moved to these very happily and these Revlon Lip Butters are more elegant anyway, at a perfectly good price of only about $7.50 each. Supposedly they're very similar to the more expensive Clinique's Buttershines as well as a couple of MAC or Dior products along the same lines. After reading reviews over on MUA and seeing swatches(check out YouTube videos about these too)I'm definitely going to buy at least one or two, if not three shades they look THAT good!
Great ideas--I can always count on my curly sisters!
I usually prefer true lipstick and lip crayons but I have fallen in love with ELF Luscious Liquid Lipstick. I keep one in my purse, in my desk, in the truck, etc. Just the right amount of color and shine, lasts a long time, no goopy, not at all drying, and cheap!
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Pricy, but Fresh Sugar Lip Treatmets ( tinted) rock ! The plum color is almost like black honey but not as messy/shiny. And they really restore the moisture & condition of your lips. Sephora has them.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
Spiralli and pinksugar like this.
Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
I've been using Bobbi Brown lately and really like it. Rose Petal, the tube says 'creamy lip color' but it's very sheer.
I just picked up one of the Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butters that caramix3a mentioned. So far I really like it! I went with Sugar Plum which is a neutral on me - just a shade deeper than my normal lips.

I also like the Covergirl Naturaluxe gloss balms in a light green tube. They are add sheer color plus have SPF 15, so I tend to use that when I'll be outside a lot. I have the pinot shade - a nice natural rose that's just a shade deeper than my lips.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I gave up using lip colour a long time ago and now just use L'oreal Collagen Lip Plumper on my lips.

It gives my lips fullness and definition without changing my natural lip colour or making me look like I am wearing makeup on my lips, which I think is a better look for me.
I have been looking for the Revlon lip butters, but no luck so far. Based on this site, I'm thinking these definitely will be worth a try--once I can find them!

http://www.vampyvarnish.com/2011/10/...photos-review/

I tried the Cover Girl NatureLuxe stuff, but I found it too sticky and too shimmery.
Spiralli likes this.

Last edited by Verity; 11-11-2011 at 03:13 PM.
I found a few sheer lipsticks in the Napolean Perdis line @ Target. "washington" and "denver" are both nice colors.
I love Boots No7 Sheer Temptation. I have 2...I think they're color #'s 10 and 20...Excite and Entice maybe? They aren't sticky at.all. and I love the finish. They're at Target.
The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
I found the Revlon lip butters at CVS and Rite Aid. Not all of them have the newer products, though. The bigger, newer stores seem to have more....
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Availability of Revlon's lip butters may be a regional thing.

I almost bought that Boots product, but now I can't remember why I passed on it. I think the colors all seemed too pink. I like colors that have just a little coral or peach.

Last edited by Verity; 01-09-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Pricy, but Fresh Sugar Lip Treatmets ( tinted) rock ! The plum color is almost like black honey but not as messy/shiny. And they really restore the moisture & condition of your lips. Sephora has them.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
Originally Posted by Spider
LOVE the Fresh Sugar!!! It is pricey, but well worth it. The revlon lip butters are good too, but can be hard to find. I found the fresh sugar at Sephora.
Spiralli and pinksugar like this.
Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
Style- UFD, As I Am Curling Gelly,
Sealant- Castor, sweet almond oil,Hairveda Vegetal soya oil KBB hair cream
Will try any CG product at least once.
Proud to be a PJ!

The new Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butters are getting rave reviews over on MUA and a couple of other boards that I frequent. They just came out and are at some drugstores. They will be part of Revlon's permanent line after the beginning of the year. Keep looking for these - some people have had trouble finding them. 20 shades raging from very light sheers up to somewhat more pigmented ones. Very very moisturizing too - many former users of stuff like Burts's Bees colored lip balms have moved to these very happily and these Revlon Lip Butters are more elegant anyway, at a perfectly good price of only about $7.50 each. Supposedly they're very similar to the more expensive Clinique's Buttershines as well as a couple of MAC or Dior products along the same lines. After reading reviews over on MUA and seeing swatches(check out YouTube videos about these too)I'm definitely going to buy at least one or two, if not three shades they look THAT good!
Originally Posted by caramix3a
since reading this thread i've been considering buying the revlon lip butter -- sounded exactly what i wanted, but to be honest, i haven't bought drugstore cosmetics in many years (i don't wear a lot of makeup so what i buys lasts me years) so hestitated. i found them in rite aid and bought the sugar plum. love it! same as 2poodles, it is just a touch deeper than my lip color, so it just makes my lips look better, cannot see that i have a color on them. and they are moisturizing -- and when it comes to that, i am a tough customer. based on my luck with sugar plum i went back and bought a 2nd shade, red velvet, which is a deeper color but not dark, for dress up times, even for work -- love it!
btw, also found them at target, but they only carried about 5 shades -- not out of stock, just what they were set up for. rite aid seemed to carry all 20 shades.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Fresh Sugar Lip Treatments! I purchased a set of 3 at Sephora for $20 or $22 (I can't remember). It came with Passion (red), Sugar Plum (plum), and Honey (nude). I absolutely fell in love! I am pretty fair and all of the colors worked for me. But my favorite so far is Sugar Plum.

I'm definitely going back to purchase the full size Sugar Plum and I also want to try Rose (pink). Another plus...SPF 15!
After reading this thread, I ran right out and bought Fresh Sugar's advanced therapy, love it, but it's expense for the amount you get.

I like Aveda's golden prism, lip shine and benefit's nudie-tude, it's got a little sparkle but once on you don't notice it.
2b/3a.
I was so excited that I finally got my hands on a tube of Revlon's Lip Butter.

Complete fail--waaaaay too shimmery. I think it's even more shimmery than Cover Girl NatureLuxe (or whatever it's called). It's as if it has finely ground glitter in it. Nice, sheer color, but the shimmer makes it a no-go for me. I would have loved this stuff 20 or 30 years ago.

I'm hesitant to cough up for a non-drugstore brand, but at least then I could see what I'm getting before I buy it. Until I can shop at a mall (read: hour's drive and half-day commitment), it's back to layering tinted lip balm and lipstick. ::::::::::shrug::::::::::

Does anyone have a favorite that does not have shimmer?

Last edited by Verity; 01-30-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Trending Topics