Hot flash/migraine question

Very not hair related but since there is so much collective female wisdom in this thread.

I just.this.week started having night sweats, but after every single one I have suffered a migraine headache.

It is my understanding that hot flash/night sweat is a vascular event. Does this mean I am doomed to have a migraine every time? Because I can't live like this.

If it's anything to do with the iud I could get it yanked but it wasn't really concurrent with the installation, and I suspect that it is not the cause, that if I got it pulled I'd have heavy periods, still have the night sweats, and then get pregnant. Which I guess would fix the problem for awhile but with 4 daughters already and job loss looming, the timing would be really bad.

Would like to know if anyone has experience with this (the hot flash leading to migraine) and if you found anything that helped.

I do already:
Eat pretty well (but DO drink caffeine, in general it has helped reduce frequency of migraines for me)
Exercise, Jazzercise 4x week
Maintain weight, try not to gain or lose. I am skinny but not to where I think it would cause problems.
Go to bed same time each day, get enough sleep
Get up same time each day

Have not tried:
Any vitamins
Chiropractic (not lately)
Any hormones
Any specific diet

Uncontrollable factors:
Stress (relationship stress, money, job loss. I am stressed but not belly-hurting or unable to sleep or anything.)
Hormones, obviously

Any ideas? Thank you for reading this far, too.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
Gee, Robin - I'm awfully sorry. Sounds horrible. My suggestion is to see a good gyno, if you know one. I don't think migraines following hot flashes are normal, and it shouldn't have anything to do with an IUD.
2/c and some 3A.
Protein sensitive but can use occasionally
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
I've had horrible hot flashes since I was 16! I read that ginseng helps - I've been taking it for years and my hot flashes are about 80% gone! I just get the Korean Ginseng at Walmart and take 100mg per day, everyday.

{{{hugs}}} I hope you get some relief soon!!!
2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"
I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
i don't know anything about migranes after a hot flash, but i can offer what i used during menopause.
i never had true hot flashes, just sometimes at night i would feel warm, kick off the blankets, and i was good. nothing at all during the day. and i am sure it was due to the vitamin e that i took.
i took vitamin E, 800 iu /day, softgels. once i ran out of them and the health food store was also out, so i purchased vit e in capsules, dry powder form. i started having hot flashes, but when i was able to find and buy them again a few days later, two days after i started taking them again they stopped.
now you can buy these at wholefoods. the brand i used (if it makes a difference, i never tried another brand) is solray.
good luck!
btw -- caffeine does help with migraines, opens blood vessels. so coffee in moderation is most likely good.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Both night sweats and migraines separately are quite unpleasant, but together? I am so sorry.

I would add to the suggestions: Be aware of possible dehydration. You will lose water sweating. In addition, many meds cause dryness. Drink plenty of water AND use electrolytes twice a day. EmergenceC is a brand that you will find in the pharmacy. It helps you to hold on to the water that you need.

On a more serious note, consult your internist. Night sweats are sometimes a symptom of more serious illness.
Have you had your thyroid checked recently? Mine always feels fine to them but my blood work told another tale. My numbers were terrible and since getting on medication, no hot flashes, night sweats and very minimal migraines.

Just an idea if you are going to a doc to ask.
I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
Condition: DevaCurl OC
LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
Curl Enhancer:
CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler,CJRM
Have you had your thyroid checked recently? Mine always feels fine to them but my blood work told another tale. My numbers were terrible and since getting on medication, no hot flashes, night sweats and very minimal migraines.

Just an idea if you are going to a doc to ask.
Originally Posted by justajesuschick
Not recently, no, did have it checked last year, but I thought if thyroid was out of whack I would gain or lose weight? I am back to pre-kids weight and holding steady for many months.

I *think* it's hormonal of some sort though because

I am almost 44
The one that started the week felt exactly like when I was on the pill, on the day when the period would start sometimes there would be these waves of heat-nausea-fatigue passing from my head down my body, always followed by wicked migraine. I know those were hormone-withdrawal headaches.

Monday i do have dr appt, sincerely hope they figure something out.

No actual sweating last night just hot in the morning and still today headachey, not bad but same kind of sick headache like migraine.

One other idea - what does the flu feel like if you've had a flu shot? One of my daughters had the flu. Maybe it's that and not menopause? I really don't feel infected in any way though.
2c / C / iii (FIA)

Shoulder-Length now.

Henna!
Nope. No weight loss or gain.

When I suggested hormones to my endocrine doc he said, "Yep, hormones. Just not the kind you are thinking".

The thyroid is like a communication center. When mine was not working, it was not sending messages to my ovaries (I have had a hyst but kept those) to keep up their work (my grossly over-simplified paraphrase of his elaborate explanation), they falter and respond poorly.
I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
Condition: DevaCurl OC
LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
Curl Enhancer:
CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler,CJRM
Dr didn't do much except say wait and see, she thought it much more likely that it was a bad period that caused the hot flash, not the start of menopause, since periods still very regular. And said that if the drop in hormones when period starts is that big and sudden, yes it will trigger migraine (which I was already painfully aware of as I have had menstrual migraines for as long as I've had periods, and pretty much can't get a migraine when not on my period), but she does not think this would happen with the menopausal hot flashes because there wouldn't be as much estrogen so it wouldn't drop so hard.

Have been fine for the last few days, anyway, that's good! And it is true that I have not had any night sweat/hot flash since the end of the period.
2c / C / iii (FIA)

Shoulder-Length now.

Henna!

Last edited by Robin-in-FL; 12-05-2011 at 11:24 AM.
interesting that the hormones fluctuate so much during a period, makes sense. when i was perimenopausal i'd get a migraine on the 3rd day of my period, like clockwork! and no other time. and not before or since then.
good you went to dr and got peace of mind.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine

Trending Topics