It's been awhile since we've discussed botox. Who uses it here?

Like Tree3Likes

I've got a consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist on Wednesday to discuss botox. I have mixed feelings - I'm tired of the "11's" between my eyebrows and I have 1 horizontal line on my forehead that appeared - overnight, I swear. But I'm not sure I want to start something that I may never want to stop! I'm curious to find out what's recommended and the cost involved. I'll turn 50 in May, so I feel like that's probably what's got me considering botox at this point. Anyone have experiences they care to share?
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Please let me know how it goes, I have been considering the same thing. I am not really annoyed by any of the other lines yet, just the eyebrow furrow!!
I'm 50 and I've been botoxing for 1 year. I really like how it smoothes out my crows feet and the elevens between the eyes. When it starts to wear off I go running back to the doc to lose the haggard look that starts appearing.

You do get addicted and yes it's expensive... about $400 every 3 months. Does the trick though.
It would certainly "do the trick" of emptying the bank account!
So I got botox today. She gave me a total of 26 units: 21 for the "11's" between the brows and 5 units for the horizontal line on my forehead. It cost $16 per unit, or $416. Apparently there's a program for frequent users where you earn discounts, so I signed up for that. In addition I'll save 10% on my next visit since I made my next appointment today. They recommend having botox every 4 months, unless I want it sooner than that. Supposedly with time I might be able to have it less frequently.... I go back in 2 weeks for a free follow-up visit, to make sure I'm happy with the results. I'll just cancel that appointment if I don't see the need for a touch-up.

The injections were basically painless since they use such a tiny needle. There's no down time at all. I'll post pictures once there's something to see! I did take before pictures to compare.

I also bought Latisse - the prescription eyelash treatment that's supposed to make the lashes longer, fuller and darker. I'll let you know how that goes as well.

I feel funny about doing this - kind of excited, but a bit embarrassed that I'm doing it. I'm told that I'll get over that real quickly once I see the results!!
dc curly likes this.
2Poodles Southeast PA
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I feel funny about doing this - kind of excited, but a bit embarrassed that I'm doing it. I'm told that I'll get over that real quickly once I see the results!!
Originally Posted by 2poodles
I'm excited for you, and will be looking for your photos. I've felt the same way, curious, wanting to try it (or some of the other things, like juvaderm) but a little embarrassed about my interest. I hope you love it!
Glad you brought this up. I just made an appointment with a cosmetic dermatologist on Monday. Earliest appt. is the beginning of March. I'm looking to get a prescription for Retin-A for sun damage & hyperpigmentation. But also botox for the area between my eyebrows - for me, more like / \ making me appear slightly cranky at all times.
A friend who has been dabbling in botox for over a year now says it makes him actually feel more serene now that his brow is incapable of furrowing. Interesting thought.
Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
Icequeen method
CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

I've been using retin-a for about 12 years. I started using it for acne. You'll love it - it's certainly helped, not only with acne, but also with improved skin in general. As for the botox, I'm already seeing a smoothing out of the forehead and eyebrows. There's less movement when I raise my brows and when I frown. So far, so good. I'll post pics at one and two weeks. I like that there's gradual smoothing out - there's time for me and everyone else to adjust. Rather than looking like I "got something done" I'll look, perhaps, like I've been getting some good sleep lately or meditating more! Hahaha.... We'll see.
2Poodles Southeast PA

You might try taping your forehead at night as a way of prolonging the effects of your botox (and possibly reducing the need for it). Frownies are what most people use, but I like medical tape (Transpore brand). Cheaper and easily available in any grocery/drug store. I've been taping for several years, and I don't have any forehead wrinkles or 11's, and we're the same age (well, technically, I'm a couple months older ).
Personally, I'd MUCH rather go to bed with my husband at night without tape on my forehead.
2Poodles Southeast PA

The tape left red marks on my sensitive skin.

Botox was very helpful for my "11's," but I just couldn't couldn't sustain the upkeep. Now my bangs cover them.

I'd like to go back to using it, though.
There are many tapes out there, maybe try a medical tape specifically for sensitive skin. I get no red marks from Transpore. Transpore is transparant, so it's not like a big white dot on my head. It's fairly unnoticable. And my husband finds it "cute". He thinks most things I do are cute though. He's a very good sport.
I do the opposite of botox, generally. Exercise the muscles in my face. It seems to help; I've been getting the dropped jaws when I say oldest daughter in college.

It doesn't work for the frown lines, really but lifted everything slightly, face rounder again, put more cushion around my eyes, no dark circles anymore, I like this. Lines are actually OK with me, I dislike sagging more.

Taping sounds like a good idea, I also have had reactions to every single tape or bandaid ever, but would try it.

One of my Jazzercise instructors does the botox, she looks very good and is 50. I do think it works. But exercise is free

Latisse I would love to be able to afford. For brows too, I'd like those to be a little more full.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
I'd like to have some botox. I'm probably still too young to need it. And bf thinks I'm crazy BC I do look fairly young.

I'd like it to raise my eyebrows a little. Maybe tighten my jowl areas.

My plastic surgery desires would focus more on back sculpting and a tummy tuck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
Botox scares me to death, I'm afraid I'll like it too much.

Iroc, when did you turn 40?
2b/3a.
I'd like to have some botox. I'm probably still too young to need it. And bf thinks I'm crazy BC I do look fairly young.

I'd like it to raise my eyebrows a little. Maybe tighten my jowl areas.

My plastic surgery desires would focus more on back sculpting and a tummy tuck.

Originally Posted by iroc

I don't think it would treat either of those two things . . . if I'm wrong, I'd be more interested in it than I thought, LOL!
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
Botox scares me to death, I'm afraid I'll like it too much.

Iroc, when did you turn 40?
Originally Posted by CurlyinColorado
I can never see what forum I'm posting in. I'm always all over the place.

I will. Someday.

No Botox yet for me. I've always convinced myself that I avoid it because of he price and the needles. Now that topical Botox is on the horizon (sometime in 2013, I think I read?) half of my excuse is gone. Still, it would have to be a screaming' deal for me to try it, and that would be well after others have so I know what side effects to expect from the topical.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
Did I hear someone mention Latisse? Actually, you can cut down the cost considerably by buying the generic form of latisse from a online canadian pharmacy. No prescription needed. The Generic is called Bimatoprost 3%. It's fabulous.

Just do a bit of Google research.
i've been using Botox for a few years and i'm very happy with the results. it's cheaper here in the small city where i live - about $10-$12 per unit depending if there's a sale or not.

i don't have crow's feet, so i generally get about 12 to 20 units total for the horrid line across my forehead.
My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!

Trending Topics