Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Over 40

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #21

Thanks Wendi. That helped me feel a little less guilty. You are right - one day at a time and a splurge now and then will keep me sane. I was better today
BekkaPoo and wendi.wendy like this.
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Experimenting with cones & sulfates while the dews are high. Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
curlypearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #22

Default Genetic High Cholesterol

I've had genetic high cholesterol all my life, my father and grandmother died of heart attacks at age 39. My levels on the standard american diet has always been about 300. I've tried a number of things, including adding 'healthy' fats and raw dairy and my cholesterol only got worse.

The best thing I've done is gone on a plant based low-fat diet. I lowered my numbers by 60 points in 2 weeks eating this way. It wasn't much of a challenge to come off the animal foods, dairy took a little longer but when health is that important, change does come easier. And then after a while I don't really like my old favorites in the same way.

Here are some recommendations:

Anything by Dr. John McDougall - there's also a big website with a message board you can find via google

Engine 2 Diet book

Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn

The China Study book

80/10/10 by Dr. Doug Graham

Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman

I just wanted to add too, after reading the entire thread, that I really cut back on *all* fats and even avoid oils as best as I can. And what I fill up on is a lot of starches from plant sources like beans, potatoes, rice, corn etc. That is what fills me up and satisfies me instead of the fats.

daretoshare.myrandf.com

Last edited by soliver; 02-21-2012 at 03:02 PM.
soliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:15 AM   #23

Thanks so much Soliver! It is very helpful to me to read up on this because it motivates me. Great response - really appreciate it.
Stylers: Experimenting with cones & sulfates while the dews are high. Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
Old 03-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #24

I have been doing all the dietary recommendations for the last 30 years. Because I knew it was healthy to do so. Last year, I had my baseline lipid panel and the LDL was HIGH. So, the dietary/fish oil/exercise plan does not always work - often high cholesterol is hereditary. I started taking 40 mg of simvastatin, and in one month, my LDL came down over 100 points. Pretty dramatic. No significant side effects. However, now we are hearing about the statistically significant correlation between statins and developing diabetes. It seems we are damned if we do, and damned if we dont. As far as the so called "natural" methods, I would try that if I had a slight or moderately high LDL, but not when it is over 100 points of where it should be, given family history and risk factors.
Myrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #25

I appreciate all the responses.

I agree Myrna - it seems with every drug for every condition - damned if you do and damned if you don't! I'm having that issue with drugs for acid reflux - now the research suggests they can increase the risk for osteoporosis.
Every day is a gift
Old 04-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #26

I've had high cholesterol all my life. I've been on statins, eat healthily and do everything right. It's always been high.
I just had my yearly test and it's down!! Went from 211 to 176. Even my doctor was excited.
Now if I could just figure out what exactly I've been doing, or not been doing, for the last year, hopefully I can keep it down.
curlypearl likes this.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #27

Reeni, if you figure it out, please post back!
Every day is a gift
Trending Topics[-]hide