Menopause update

Like Tree18Likes

I think I may be in menopause. Not real sure since I had a hysterectomy when I was 37. The doctor left my ovaries, though. I'm hopeful that I might be done since I'm about to turn 50 and my 48 y/o sister told me that her last period was 2 years ago.... And my mom finished up about age 48. I used to get hot flashes, but they haven't been bad lately. But without the evidence of periods stopping for over a year, it's hard to know for sure if I'm done.... Anyone else in a similar situation?
Originally Posted by 2poodles
I just turned 50 last December and in the six months or so, I am pretty certain I've been in menopause (short of getting my blood tested); I had a hysterectomy at the age of 42 m, but still have my ovaries, too. I have had mild hot flashes that haven't been too bothersome, but I've also had a MAJOR decrease in my sex drive and am a lot "drier," if you know what I mean lol.

I've put on weight, but I attributed that to sheer laziness and being ridiculously happy in this relationship. I started exercising harder/more and being more careful with my eating habits and have definitely noticed a decrease in the amount of hot flashes and their intensity. The Hula group I belong to is doing a six week weight loss challenge, so am participating in that.
And I failed to mention, no HRT for me, as I had a Pulmonary Embolism in my late 30's while on birth control pills.
I think most women, if not all, do realize the difference between peri and menopause. Using the 2 terms is a fairly recent thing. My mother's generation never even knew it was broken down into 2 categories. They just called it menopause. So do I.
And I personally don't consider myself lucky to not have any symptoms. I want to know that something is happening. I'm 57 and I am really sick of having long heavy periods every 2 weeks or so. It makes me grumpy. : )
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
I can't imagine that, jeep. What a hassle and major inconvenience. Here's to a speedy (albeit rather delayed) menopause!! (visualize two glasses raised in a toast here, since I can't locate the emoticons right now :-)
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I was one of the 'fortunate' ones (tongue in cheek here) who had premature menopause. I was into Meno by 38 and done by 40. Doctor confirmed by hormone test. I refused to go on hormone pills or premarin or other such thing....due to some other issues. But, what did/does work for me is Progesterone cream. One dab every morning and rub it in....no night sweats, no insominia, no day sweating, no moodiness (beyond my norm that is) and just seriously back to normal. The cream stopped sore breasts and water retention. So, I have a little jar just about everywhere: Purse, car, office, bathroom. That way I always apply it once a day. ( I can be a little scatter brained these days.) But, I swear by it. I have my mom and sister on it and have told my friends about it. My friends are just entering pre-menopause hell. So, in due time, I may end giving them a jar for their birthday. There have been times that I have stopped using the progesterone cream (ran out, etc.) and all those lovely menopausal side effects came right back. But once I started up again with the cream, those menopausale side effects just vanished. I read Dr. Lee's hormone book and there is a running dialog regarding the use of estrogen cream in conjuction with progesterone cream, is it necessary, etc. I do not use estrogen cream, just the prog. My fat cells in my body (ok, thighs...) make enough estrogen. Estrogen drops lower in Menopause but you still make some, whereas your progesterone dives to zero. So, Progesterone is the most essential replacement....your fat cells will make more than enough estrogen to balance you out. Sometimes a woman may not know she is estrogen dominant (too much estrogen because as she is in the midst of menopause or starting down the road) because the progesterone has plummeted to nothing, so there is no progesterone to balance out the remaining estrogen, which makes a woman estrogen dominant. The cream works for me, Just my two cents.
spiderlashes5000 likes this.
3a, thin, growing out as far as i can before i go insane and chop it!

Co-Wash: Cure Care
Conditioner: EVOO hot oil from the kitchen
DT: Joico K Pak
Stylers: CG Mousse of some sort, usually HE or Clairol 3-in-1 if I can find it!

Then Diffuse until about 75% dry, then air dry the rest of the way**
@jeepcurlygurl: the fact that you're having very frequent heavy periods right now is often a sign of the menopausal transition, before the stage of periods becoming further and further apart. Or it goes back and forth for a little while. It does differs from woman to woman. 57 IS late for this kind of stuff to be going on though. Was your mother the same way? Often, one's menopause transition pattern will be similar to one's mother's, although these days we know a little more and can do lifestyle things to help like healthy diet, exercise, cut back on alcohol, sugar and refined carbs. Not all of us can take hormones nor do we want to unless absolutely, absolutely pushed to it. Personally, given my family history(mother died of breast cancer when she was 58 and I was 31)hormone replacement was and remains out. I had the back and forth bit with frequency of periods, and then they faded out entirely by the time I was around 50. I'm 66 now. It does get better, trust me!
One last question - is it possible that you have fibroids - that can cause heavy bleeding. Just a thought here.
^ The very regular, very frequent, very heavy periods have been going on for years now so it's a pretty long transition! haha. I spent a zillion dollars and I do supposedly have a fibroid but beyond that my blood work is normal, etc etc. And it just doesn't seem logical that a fibroid could cause consistent, regular bleeding.
My mother and her sister went through meno quite young. My older sister was regular til she turned 50 then it just stopped dead and she had no symptoms at all. My younger sister has always had bad periods and hers are still bad at 50. She also has fibroids so her bleeding it erratic and not at all consistent.

I'm still waiting for a hot flash to let me know something is going on in the right direction. : )
In Western PA
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Wow. That is a bummer. I stopped having any periods almost a year ago. I decided no protection because I didn't want to deal with it anymore and felt like I knew my body. So far, so good!
A friend of mine said she dealt with it about the same time I had. I have had some serious hot flashes at night.
I think I might be in peri now. Back in December I had an ovarian cyst that had me in horrible pain for about a week. My GYN changed my birth control pill from one that I had been on since I started bc pills (went from brand to the generics over time). The old pill worked fine and I was getting regular monthly periods that gradually shortened in duration from 5 days to 2-3.

He switched me to LoLoEstrin FE in December -- said it helped to prevent cysts. Said that if I was still in any pain after one cycle on the new pills to come back to him and he would do exploratory surgery, etc. Well I have had zero pain on the new pill; not even a twinge. However, I also have stopped getting my period totally. Not even any close calls.

I know that "one full year without a period, even on birth control" implies menopause is happening. I haven't called my GYN to let him know that I haven't had a period since December, since it's not even 6 months on the new pill yet. Should I call just to report in that the change to my pill may have stopped my periods?
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
absolutely call dr and run it by him, just to be sure it is menopause and not pill.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
2poodles, I have not had a period in almost a year. Had to go off bcp for fear of blood clots. So far, so good! Best of luck.
It's not easy being a princess, but hey, if the crown fits.
Menopause update.
The first 3 months of this year I had 7 periods. In the last 3.5 months I have had zero zip nada. It just stopped dead in it's tracks. I'm thinking it's a parting gift from my mom, who passed away the first week in April. Thanks Mom! : )

Knock on wood this doesn't jinx me. I don't want periods anymore ever!
In Western PA
I am going to investigate HRT tomorrow.
You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
congrats, jeep! keep your fingers crossed.
i, too, had very heavy periods, long periods, for the last few years of perimenopause. actually i believe i was in perimenopause 10 yrs, which they say can happen. oh, and migraine headaches the 3rd day of my periods, like clockwork. miserable.
then the last yr i went 6 months no period, then a 'normal, not heavy' period, then 6 months, one more, then menopause! :-)
i remember women would say how they dreaded menopause -- i can honestly say it was one of the best things that happened to me! no more trying to schedule trips, etc., carrying ridiculously large pocketbooks to accommodate 'everything,' soooooo very freeing. and i was lucky in two ways, i went into menopause in my late 40s, and i barely had any symptoms. no real hot flashes-- a few nights here and there i would feel warm, kick off the blankets, and would go back to sleep. no other symptoms. i always thought how it made up for my very hormonal-filled pregnancies, throwing up 7 times a day...

enjoy the freedom!
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
^ I've been waiting for it a long time and will be very pleased if it continues as is. I have had no symptoms other than, like you, I sometimes wake up extra warm in the middle of the night. I have no pms anymore (or maybe I'm just b1tchy all the time now? haha).
One thing, unfortunately, that hasn't improved and that's my migraines. I've had one pretty much every single day for about 1.5 years (and have had them often for almost 40 years). It would be nice if they became rarer.
In Western PA
it's interesting about headaches. i would get a migraine maybe 2, 3 a year, outside of the perimenopausal ones. and other times i would have tension headaches a lot. til my ex and i separated. literally. i went to get tylenol about a year after he moved out and it hit me that i had not had a headache since he moved out. seriously! even my daughter commented on it.
then i broke my nose about 12 years ago and since then i do get sinus headaches here and there. but migraines, tension headaches? nope! :-)
maybe yours will go away once you hit menopause?
now i am really getting off topic but what i would do is as soon as si woke up and realized i had a migraine, i would quickly get up, have lots of coffee and some toast and 2 advil. that made it very manageable for the rest of the day, maybe an advil in afternoon. and it would be gone next day. i found that if i stayed in bed, or went back to bed, it got worse. the caffeine with the advil and staying awake was a great mix for me. i know some people are beyond that and need meds for it, so i'm not saying this is all you need. just what helped me with mine.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
Thanks. I've been dealing with them since I was 8 and have tried most every legal and sometimes illegal thing known. haha. Luckily I can get my very expensive meds super cheap in India.
Here's hoping they will go away at some point, but my dad still has them at 81 so I'm not placing any bets.
But still, no periods! Yay!!
In Western PA
My headaches have improved DRASTICALLY since I hit menopause.
You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
My headaches have improved in recent months too, I get them when I've been working (and sleeping during the day) but otherwise they've lessened considerably.
My last period was in January, after having had them intermittently since April last year. I have endless hot flushes but they're just annoying really, not particularly bothersome and I could ditto what KauaiMare said up above - zero sex drive and (ugh) drier than is comfortable.
I'm also ridiculously annoyed that my sister (two years older) has no sign of anything yet!
3b in South Australia.
^ Trust me, your older sister is way more annoyed than you. hahaha.
rbb likes this.
In Western PA

Trending Topics