Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Over 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #1

Default Fabric Softener

In the days before hair conditioner, does anyone remember using fabric softener mixed in water to detangle hair? I'm not that old!
Cubanwavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #2

I've never heard of that! hmmm.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, Ojon Restorative Treatment, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
jeepcurlygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
rbb

oh, i absolutely did!! i just remember using it, but i don't think for a very long time. think conditioner came out right after i tried the fabric softener. also, back in those days people only washed their hair once/twice a week, so i guess the effects weren't too bad.
washing/cowashing, conditioning, leave in, protein tx: curl junkie products. styling:curl junkie conditioners only at times, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. trying ufdcm. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!! sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
rbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #4

My mother used to use Roman pink fabric softener (mixed with water) on her hair. She switched back to conditioner sometime in the 80s.

naturalnewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #5

Naturalnewb, I remembered it being pink and kind of pearly looking, but couldn't remember the name. Can't recall name of first hair conditioners/cream rinse (as we called it) to hit the market.

And, yes, we only shampooed once a week.
Cubanwavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #6

Default Fabric softener

"Naturalnewb, I remembered it being pink and kind of pearly looking, but couldn't remember the name. Can't recall name of first hair conditioners/cream rinse (as we called it) to hit the market.

And, yes, we only shampooed once a week." - Isabella

I still only wash my hair maybe twice a week at most, even with co-washing, etc.
That product Isabella was thinking of I think was Tame Creme Rinse. That and maybe a couple of other competing ones were all there was around back in the day. Personally I hated "creme rinse" because such a big deal was made in my household as a kid because "something has to be done about that hair"(mine was the one in question)since it was so thick, and also wavy-curly and thus needed to be "tamed" - ugh! Sure, the rinse SOFTENED my hair, but it also made it go limp. Everyone liked that but me - ugh! My hair is still vulnerable to the wrong kinds of conditioners. Certain ones will still make it go limp, others are loaded with silicones, and others don't do anything at all. But I do like GVP Conditioning Balm these days, and One 'n Only Hydrating Mask.
I remember some time ago a natural personal care formulator who is quite well-known(won't say whom)basically said that commercial conditioners were still nothing more than fabric softener as pretty much the same chemicals are used in the formulation of them. He did write that a good while back though.
caramix3a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #7

I used Downy in the late 60's early 70's. The blueing helped tone down the brassiness I had from lemon juice lightening my hair.

Back in those days, Downey was a lot thicker and had to be diluted. It was gloopy and didn't dissolve as well in water.

anonymous_22139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #8

Has anyone used it recently? Are the formulations the same?

nana_banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Trending Topics[-]hide