looking for natural products for my changing 3a/b hair

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kathymack

Hi All,

I'm new to CurlTalk and am overwhelmed by all the products/regimens everyone talks about (never even heard of shampoo bars, for example).

My hair's texture has been changing over the last 5 years with the worst part being the gray, which is growing in frizzy/straight/oddly shaped. I wrote about it here: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...hair-loss.html.

While trying to address my hair's issues from an nutritional standpoint I'm also looking at changing my care routine and product choices. I currently wash and condition my hair with natural poo and con twice a week. I'm thinking I need to change that to condition it more and shampoo less. I never brush, blow dry or heat style my hair. Basically I put in my product (gel and serum) and air dry. I'm currently not using any curl-specific products and the only "bad" thing I'm using is the Giovanni serum which has the dreaded -xane and -cone.

Oh, and I color my hair with Naturtint (haven't found anything better/less toxic yet and henna made it an awful red, no matter which one I used). My natural color is dark auburn brown. I would love to let my gray grow in but am just not brave enough to do it yet and don't have what it takes to deal with the in-between phase.

For you over-40 curlies out there who are using natural products or, close-to-natural (no-sulfs, no-bens, no-perfume, etc.) products, what are your favorites for helping your curls have a nice, defined curl? It seems that many of the products I read about here have ingredients that I prefer not to use (no offense meant, I'm just one of those "hippies" who prefer to live as naturally as possible [says the hypocrite who botoxes her hideous frown lines - we all make our choices]).

Also, if you've changed your haircare routine since you've gotten gray, I'd like to hear about it.

Darn, this is a long post. If you've gotten this far, thank you for sticking with me and sorry to be so long-winded. I'd do just about anything to get my "old"/beautiful (Juliana Marguiles-before-she-straightened-it) hair back.
Hi and welcome, bubblemama! I've used a lot of different products over the years and the ones that I keep coming back to are Kinky Curly Knot Today (KCKT) as a leave-in conditioner (LI) and Kinky Curly Curling Custard (KCCC) as a styling gel/jelly. Both of those are natural products. As for cleansing, I generally use a non-sulfate cleanser every 2 or three days and that alternates between Curl Junkie Daily Fix (DF) and Jessi Curl Gentle Lather Shampoo (GLS). And just so you know, my hair is hightlighted, very healthy and has a fine texture with low porosity and normal elasticity. Good luck with your hair adventure!
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

You want to determine your hair properties. They are more important for choosing ingredients/products then curl type or age. Here's a link to help Live Curly Live Free - Home Once you do that, you can look for folks with hair like yours and see what they use.

My hair is similar to 2poodles'--fine, low porosity, highlighted. It prefers the more natural products from the online, boutique type companies (current favorites in my signature.) Some of the companies offer fragrance free options, most do not.
curlygoinggray likes this.
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix and CCCC
Thanks All.

Based on the LVLF guide, I think that I have medium texture, high porosity, low elasticity hair.

I'll start looking for other with similar hair and check out what they're using.

Trending Topics