Gray issue

Like Tree16Likes

I never use shampoo, only conditioner to wash and I have no problems washing out oils or any other products I use.
I buy pure aloe gel at the drug store or on ebay. I just buy the cheapest I can find. As long as it's 100% pure aloe I don't see any reason to buy a name brand.
I use a blue gel and many colors of conditioner, with no changes to my hair.
I've never used Tresemme so no help for you there.
curlygoinggray likes this.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
I did some hair experiments on strands of my hair taken from various areas of my head. (No I did not pull them out)

Results on my gray transitioning hair:

Low Porosity, fine texture, and low density...
The jury is out on curl type...I am thinking 3a. From what I've read porosity is KEY!!!

Question,
I am either supposed to be using lo or no protein, this is so confusing!!!

How do I tell if a condish has the protein in the ingredients?

I have coconut oil, jojoba oil on hand.
I have suave coconut condish, vo5 moist. condish (orange one) also on hand.

Can someone get me back on the right track. Please tell me your recommendations even if they are not what I have...ty

Mostly: Wen Cleansing Conditioner: Lavendar & Tea Tree

Occasionally: DevaCurl No-Poo, One Condition, & Angel; KCCC, KCKT & KCCC
Last Dye 1/4/12; Started Curlygirl Method 6/2012; Final cut to remove dye 3/30/13
i don't have all the info you are looking for, but i will tell you what i know.

if your hair is fine texture, then, yes! you need protein. i would do a protein treatment once a week. i love curl junkie repair me, it is a super protein treatment, and it is sooo moisturizing you don't need to do a deep conditioning afterwards. (with other protein treatments, you do).
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
The new av & sig pics were taken two days ago. Still learning the whole CG/Naturallycurlly process...

Is it possible to get the hair moisturized enough for good curl formation and yet have the gray/silvers showing.

Does everyone use a gel or mousse? I have not tried yet. When do I put it in? Lets say I've just cowashed & scrunched then do you put gel on top and scrunch more??

One more question please...
I have not and will not let anyone cut my hair since I started going gray. Hair was almost bsl and I've been trimming the dye here and there. I had terrible dry split ends and just kept cutting the crap off as I knew eventually it had to come off. I have layered my hair as I had hair loss and breakage from being really sick and bad home dye jobs. My bangs are now 3 inches and my hair is layered throughout the length...

I have read the cgmethod for cutting (dry) hair individually. Are there any other method. Am open to any suggestions or thoughts. What works or doesn't work...

Thanks for listening!!!

Last Dye 1/4/12; Started Curlygirl Method 6/2012; Final cut to remove dye 3/30/13
I use gel every day. My hair doesn't have as much curl or definition without it. After I co wash or wet my hair I had gel and scrunch and squeeze (while hair is still dripping wet).

I have cut my own hair for 35+ years. I usually cut it similar to the CG method, cutting individual curls as needed. If I am being lazy and just want to dust the ends off, I wet my hair and detangle well, put it in a pony tail on top of my head, run another hair elastic down towards the ends to hold it all together, and trim off the ends.
In Western PA
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
jeepcurlygirl,

Thanks for checking back here and giving me great advice!!! I still don't know what your hair looks like...Are those your feet in your avatar, lol!!!

I started cutting my hair last night...It may take days to get it right. Doing it CG from the book. It AINT easy!!! Dry cut each curl cluster...It's a work in progress...

What are your opinions on diffusers and/or hooded hairdryers. Recommendations for use and to prevent damage to grays...

My hair pics are in the link in my siggy. Password is jeepy. Let me know if it doesn't open for you.

Yes those are my feet. : )

I've used this type of diffuser for many decades and really don't like anything else. They are small and lightweight, easy to pop into a suitcase if traveling, inexpensive, and mine have lasted many years before needing replaced.
I plop my hair in a turban towel for about 20 min, then let it air dry for a half hour or so, then diffuse for a few minutes to finish drying and five me more volume. I don't find it damaging. I haven't had split ends in years.
Attached Thumbnails
Gray issue-diffuser.jpg  
In Western PA
i think it's easier to cut 3b hair yourself then 3a. it seems to me that tighter curls are more forgiving of mistakes.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Hi jeep, rbb, and all!!!

Thank you pics are awesome. Can't wait til my grays/silvers are long!!! I must have studied your curls for an hour figuring out your/my timeline...Course your spring factor is greater...I had already figured a couple of years for me. My goal is by 50 and I just turned 47 last month, so...I now have around 4 inches since I got off the coloring train!!! Grow, grow, grow...

Not sure on the hair cut so far. Got frustrated doing indiv. curls looked good at first then wondered if it was going to look even. Got up next day to find my hair didn't look right only to learn later the humidity and dew points were up (still learning how it affects hair). So cutting more and daughter txts and is coming with husband and granddaughters and NOW WHAT DO I DO?? So I wet hair, comb into pony on top of the crown of my head and cut off a good inch or so... Then I combed it back down put in a pony and nipped off the ends... Humidity was terrible and I apologized to my daughter about my hair as I am still learning curly methods and going gray and didn't know if she was on board with it but she said "It looked healthy!" Oh that made me feel good. Sorry for rambling on... This morning I, yes, dry combed and tried to blend layers cutting off more dye. Used the Deva no poo and one condish, and we will see how it looks...I am going to put away the scissors for now! I haven't cut all the dye off yet.

Agree, rbb the looser curls aren't as forgiving...

Also, I have natcurly the weather thing on my homepage set at my city and state. So when it says frizzy curls or something like that what are you all using??? Thanks for listening!
JacquelynSophie likes this.

Yay for healthy hair! Once you figure out the products that work for you, you will love your natural free hair.
I really don't pay attention to the weather, humidity, dew points. I use the same products just about ever day. Some days my hair is flatter, some days it's frizzier, some days it's just right. I don't mind. If I'm having a real bad hair day I just put it up in a pony. Otherwise it's free to do it's thing.
In Western PA
That's my ultimate goal, healthy and easy hair!!!

curlygoinggray, the reason I bought the red-gold corrector is because all the other whitening products dried out my hair like mad. With the corrector, I can add it to my favorite conditioners so it not only is CG but it's also not drying. I get my at Sally Beauty online. Very inexpensive too.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
Jeep, does the Ardell red/gold corrector tone down the brassiness/oxidation from old, fading dye?
CG since 4/15/12
2c-3b, fine to medium, high porosity, low elasticity
20% gray (stopped coloring 6/12)

LOVES: protein, Shea Moisture condish. & masque, KCCC, Re:Coil (HG), Kiss My Face Upper Mgmt. gel, my own FSG!

does not love: non-cg ingredients, oils, PVA/PVP, synthetic fragrances or poly-quats

Last edited by bubblemama; 08-29-2012 at 10:32 AM.
I didn't have dyed hair when I started going grey so I don't know the answer to that, sorry.
In Western PA
Am still not sure about needing protein for my fine hair... Been researching and found too much protein can cause breakage. If my hair is not breaking off now, why increase protein products only to encourage breaking? IDK...

Trending Topics